Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
ohsogirly
AF Newbie

94' Maxima won't start - NATS??

I bought this off a friend and it won't start. Here's what i've done. Battery is fully charged, (left it disconnected 8+ hours while removing NATS) the anti-theft unit is off, the relay is off (haven't replaced new one yet) I've put the key in unlock, lock, hold it on lock to reset it and it won't.

What am I missing!
ohsogirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94' Maxima won't start - NATS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsogirly View Post
I bought this off a friend and it won't start. Here's what i've done. Battery is fully charged, (left it disconnected 8+ hours while removing NATS) the anti-theft unit is off, the relay is off (haven't replaced new one yet) I've put the key in unlock, lock, hold it on lock to reset it and it won't.

What am I missing!

"Wont start" : engine cranking, yes/no?

The start circuit on page 5, click

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
ohsogirly
AF Newbie

Question Re: 94' Maxima won't start - NATS??

No, it's not cranking. Basically it's as if I need a new starter but that's not the problem. Somebody apparently tried to break in the car. I've taken the iginition soleniod apart to where it should be trying to crank but it's not.

I have a 2000 Maxima, will the ecu and ignition harness from the 2000 work in the 94 you think? If I put in the switch for the security the light it just stays blinking.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
No, it's not cranking. Basically it's as if I need a new starter but that's not the problem. Somebody apparently tried to break in the car. I've taken the iginition soleniod apart to where it should be trying to crank but it's not.

I have a 2000 Maxima, will the ecu and ignition harness from the 2000 work in the 94 you think? If I put in the switch for the security the light it just stays blinking.
Waitaminute. U wont swap harness, ECU for nocrank.

First pull first fuse off - measure it with multimeter. If ok, push back. Then next fuse, then next... Then start swapping relays, theyre colr coded an can be swapped. Then pull fusible links under hood, measure...

Test with hot wiring from starter-solenoid (thin wire) to batt + ... should crank. If so, find out why inhibit relay doesnt deliver juice to starter solenoid. Is brake sw ok, Is gear lever sw ok...
What relay is off and why?

(The 94 has two different models, VE and VGE, latter with distributor.)

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
ohsogirly
AF Newbie

I'm in the process of doing that right now. Will post results. Thank you for your input. It's driving me crazy!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm in the process of doing that right now. Will post results. Thank you for your input. It's driving me crazy!
- When fuse blows, it can be seen. It is possible a fuse also to break (disconnect), swap/measurement fastest ways to ensure.

- pulling/swapping fuses/relays with same color doesnt need any understanding of how the system works. "Easy first aid".

- Experienced troubleshooter can follow the wires, relays with one eye. However, Nissan mechanics need a electrical schema with wire colors for troubleshooting. I guess you must also find one if first aid doesnt hlp...

- the problem level is 'easy' when its constant. When corrected, you know this problem is solved and over ...and can start to wait for the real one.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Louie93SE
AF Newbie

Auto or stick? Is there a click?
Louie93SE is offline   Reply With Quote