Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
coreman30
AF Newbie

Exclamation 95 k1500 wont shift into 2nd.. found melted solenoids

I have a 1995 K1500 z71 with a 350 5.7 v8 and a 4l60e. Here's what happened. In the same weekend i decided to install a remote starter and change tranny fluid. A week later I was on the interstate and lost overdrive. I drove home and parked it. The next day I drove it and it wouldnt shift into second. I've tried shifting it manually but it wont go. I got back under the truck and drop the pan, and then found two melted shift solenoids and a melted 3-2 downshift solenoid. I went ahead and disconnected the remote starter and replaced the A and B solenoids as well as the 3-2 downshift solenoid. Took it for a drive, and still no second, or third. Then I put in a new pressure control solenoid (aka force motor), took it for a drive and still no 2nd or 3rd. I then omhed all the wires out and they test out just fine. So at that point I replaced the PCM, took it for a drive, still nothing. I yanked the trans fuse to try to get the tranny to go ino "limp home" mode and still it would not shift into second.... Any body got any ideas???
coreman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 95 k1500 wont shift into 2nd.. found melted solenoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman30 View Post
I have a 1995 K1500 z71 with a 350 5.7 v8 and a 4l60e. Here's what happened. In the same weekend i decided to install a remote starter and change tranny fluid. A week later I was on the interstate and lost overdrive. I drove home and parked it. The next day I drove it and it wouldnt shift into second. I've tried shifting it manually but it wont go. I got back under the truck and drop the pan, and then found two melted shift solenoids and a melted 3-2 downshift solenoid. I went ahead and disconnected the remote starter and replaced the A and B solenoids as well as the 3-2 downshift solenoid. Took it for a drive, and still no second, or third. Then I put in a new pressure control solenoid (aka force motor), took it for a drive and still no 2nd or 3rd. I then omhed all the wires out and they test out just fine. So at that point I replaced the PCM, took it for a drive, still nothing. I yanked the trans fuse to try to get the tranny to go ino "limp home" mode and still it would not shift into second.... Any body got any ideas???
If solenoids melted you have something shorted out and non fused direct power to them..
Have you checked out wiring and plugins good?
Are the solenoids getting 12 volts to them now?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
transman618
AF Newbie

Do you have power to the transmission?? Check for 12vdc at the "PINK" wire in the plug on the side of the transmission. Check it with the ignition in the "ON" position.

transman

transman618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I would check all these transmission wires connectors for short to each other not to ground since the transmission fuse did not blow..

these solenoids will melt if power is always applied to them ..

if one solenoid shorts out to ground and the fuse is wrong too high then this can melt the wires together causing many to get overheated by 12volts continually feeding them..

with power removed ohm out each solenoid wire at the transmission connector to solenoid..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

When the remote starter was attached- did you power up the second ignition wire (white) which drives the transmission circuit?- all GM's that have the white wire in the ignition harness must have it powered up when remote starting, or tranny problems will occur. Sounds like you may have found this out, if you did not power up the second ignition.

This was one of the first things I learned when installing remote starters.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
coreman30
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the tips... Yes the transmission has power going to it, i checked that with a meter, and it only has power to it when the ignition is in the on and/or run postion.... as well as each solenoid does not have constant power going to them (but probably did when the funky remote starter was hooked up).... And yes the remote starter was hooked up to both ignition wires, it worked fine - but since i found the melted solenoids i have completly removed the remote starter.... The trans fuse never blew so im "assuming" how the solenoids melted had something to do with the remote starter sending the wrong signals and/or wrong power somewhere....... like i said i removed the trans fuse while driving it to try and get the tranny to go into "limp home" mode, but even with the tranny not having power it still wouldn't go into second or third (limp home mode = has third only, and has second if you manually put the shift lever into second). I currently have the entire valve body removed and am rebuilding it. after removing it i also noticed the on/off TCC solenoid had a balloned end to it; the end of it was all swelled up. So what im planning on doing is replacing the TCC and rebuilding the valve body. hope this works........ any other suggestions would really help.. thanks.....

ps none of the check balls were stuck in the valve body plate
Old 01-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
coreman30
AF Newbie

pss does any body know what kind of solvent or cleaner i should use to clean the valve body
Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
pss does any body know what kind of solvent or cleaner i should use to clean the valve body
Degresser parts cleaning solvent.
Most oil companys sell parts cleaning solvent you can but by the gallon.
Do not use gasoline or flamable stuff.
Do not use rags with lint.
Use Paper towels that are lint free

A good parts cleaner machine and air pressure to blow off parts sure does help.
Spray on carb cleaner works if you do not have the cleaning solvent or parts cleaning machine.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
transman618
AF Newbie

Quote:
Use any Parts washer type solvent. DO NOT dry it with any type of shop rags. Use compressed air only.

While you are in there you need to replace the internal wiring harness.

transman

transman618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
coreman30
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by transman618 View Post
Use any Parts washer type solvent. DO NOT dry it with any type of shop rags. Use compressed air only.

While you are in there you need to replace the internal wiring harness.

transman
ok. I hadnt planned on changing the wire harness, but ill take your word for it.. whats another fourty bucks on top of almost three hundred now. can i ask why i should change out the internal wire harness

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
body , shift , solenoid , transmission , valve
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K