Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
worrieddaughter
AF Newbie

Driver detection for elderly parents

Here's the deal: my father has dementia and should not be driving. My mother is a nervous but okay driver. Either my father "forgets" he's not supposed to drive or he's a rebellious teenager now and slips behind the wheel despite his wife's protests and children's threats. One solution is, of course, playing the heavy and taking the car away. We're trying now and it's not easy.

Question: Is there any sort of technology that detects if a certain driver is NOT driving or a certain driver IS behind the wheel? I know there's stuff to see if a driver is nodding off. A weight detection device on the driver's seat which (dis)enables the starter? Pupil recognition? A device that makes sure there are two people in the car would be better than nothing. The car must be passenger-sensitive since the passenger air bag turns off if there's no on there, right?
worrieddaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Driver detection for elderly parents

The easiest thing to do is to take his key away!

I'm not aware of a commercially available system to determine if a certain driver is driving, but it would not be too difficult to put a code lock on the ignition so a specific PIN number would need to be entered in order to start the car.

Yes, there is an occupancy sensor on the passenger seat of modern cars for the 2nd generation air bags as well as to make them safe for younger children to ride in the front. You would want to be VERY careful trying to tie in to the airbag system though.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #3
Arrius
AF Newbie

Re: Driver detection for elderly parents

There are advanced vehicle trackers that are capable of identifying the driver behind the wheel. By using a key fob and an identification sensor, you will be able to identify who's behind the wheel, where they have been and where they are headed.

Last edited by shorod; 04-14-2017 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Removed possible spam link.
Arrius is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
detection , driver , drowsiness , elderly
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical