Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
edwardb6
AF Newbie

2002 toyota camry se v6

Hello everybody,I am new to this site and I was just wondering if somebody could help me out a little bit on this one i just bought a used 2002 camry v6 LE, and the car has a little bit of a problem with it.(I got it at the dealership with no warranty) whenever I drive it on the highway and have to come to a stop in traffic it reaches low rpms stutters a bit and dies out on me, usually before this happens I can feel a little bit of a hesitation or a roughness or thickness coming thru to the engine while i accelerate just recently today it happened i had already been off the highway for a couple of minutes but sure enough i ended up slowing down to a stop it idled very low and roughly burped a little and shut off, when it happens I wait for about 10 minutes and the car will start up fine and i can drive it again for days as long as I don't take the freeway.

Today was a little different because i gave it gas reved it up to about 5 rpms as i was cranking the engine and it started back up and ran fine so far with no problems but i haven't taken it on the highway yet. no engine lights at all but its a pretty bad problem I got frustrated and called the previous owner of the car just to see if when he traded it into the dealership there was something wrong with it....The 73 year old man told me that he never took it on the highway once and only drove about 6 km a day on top of this the car was sitting at the dealership for about 6 months.old man and dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it at all.

I now drive it 40 kms a day compared to the 6 and I'm starting to think this might be the problem here but not so sure. recently had fuel injectors flushed out and still have the same problem. the car started right back up today after some pretty high revs while engine was cranking but the worst part is that there is no engine light on. Thanks for reading guys, I would really appreciate it if somebody can gimme some clues to what this may be here.

Last edited by Brian R.; 05-13-2012 at 09:05 PM.
edwardb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Re: 2002 toyota camry se v6

First of all it's always best to give the current mileage on the vehicle and any history of repairs or maintenance, if that is known. I know maintenance history is sometimes difficult to obtain on a used car.

If the car otherwise runs good, I would start troubleshooting this idle/dying problem by cleaning out the throttle body and idle air control valve or having it done professionally, if this is something you wouldn't feel comfortable doing yourself. Many times a dirty/gummed up throttle body and idle air control valve can cause problems like you are experiencing. Cleaning these components out periodically has almost become routine maintenance.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Gerber For This Useful Post:
edwardb6 (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
somick
AF Enthusiast

I came to your thread by accident - the subject line does not say anything about your problem. It is much better to state your problem right there so it is easier to spot it then.

The kind of problems you experience may be caused by a dirty IAC valve or dirty throttle body plate. I am not sure if you have IAC valve on your 6 cylinder engine. I would start with cleaning the throttle body. You will be able to find a lot of information here just by searching.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to somick For This Useful Post:
edwardb6 (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
edwardb6
AF Newbie

Hey sorry guys it has 103 000 kms on it thanks guys I did try cleaning the throttle body still has the same problem i did not actually take it apart though just sprayed the cleaner into it
Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
edwardb6
AF Newbie

I have been told that it could be my egr valve. what do you guys think about this?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

we think you need to drive to any parts store and read engine error codes? yes, it can be EGR, alas mileage is a little bit low for it to go bad. just take it off, clean with carb spray cleaner, and reinstall. it's easy job.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
edwardb6
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
we think you need to drive to any parts store and read engine error codes? yes, it can be EGR, alas mileage is a little bit low for it to go bad. just take it off, clean with carb spray cleaner, and reinstall. it's easy job.
Understood and thank you but like I said in my post there isn't any error codes
Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Joe W
AF Enthusiast

I hope some of the previous suggestions were able to resolve your issue. However I must ask... you mention that there are no error codes. Did you have the computer check performed or are you going on not seeing the CEL because it is very possible that it is an intermittent issue and does not leave the light on all of the time
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
edwardb6
AF Newbie

No, there has never been any light on and ive had it scanned plenty of times and nothing was found, about two weeks ago i had the idle on the car raised a little bit and my problem went away but gradually my rpms seemed as if they were going back to normal(lower than what it was adjusted to) up until today no problems, i was on the highway and rpms started to jump and land lower and lower then eventually the car came to a stop and shut off, I tried resetting the ecu by disconnecting the negative battery plug and somehow the rpms at idle were back up to what they were adjusted to. so i drove it home safe and sound, anybody know what this could mean...? thanks guys
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
Joe W
AF Enthusiast

Not sure how you raised the idle as this is controlled via the computer. It appeaars to me that a complete cleaning of the throttle body and the egr is in order before proceeding to other solutions.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote