Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 11:12 PM   #1
Bryan8412
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bryan8412
How close to ECVT? Also question on ceramic coating.

Just how close are we to ECVT (electronic controlled valve timing)?? Or is it still in development? Despite the pitfall of electronic relability at such high speeds i think in the end the demise of cams would be revolutionary. Would it? Just how big a difference would it be if the valves could open whenever they pleased?

Also a question on ceramic coating. Does it insulate the heat or is it merely resistant to physical changes under extreme heat? The reason i ask is because i was wondering if one could ceramic coat them, then get them chrome plated and get great appearance that would last? Or would heat still escape and turn the chrome colors?

Last question, what is the best metal in terms of cost, appearance, and quality to plate all the metal components in a car in? Like if i were to get an old muscle car and shine everything up in the same metal to make it look nice what would be the best with all those terms and also whats the best with no expense spared?

thanks for putting up with my ignoracnce

mmmmmm.... :jump:
Bryan8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:03 AM   #2
texan
Writer Mod

We are a good long ways from electronic, hydrolic, pneumatic or magnetically controlled valvetrains. They are all bulky, consume a good deal of power, and do not show their worth (cost vs. everything else) in today's engines just yet. I figure about the time we are switching to all hybrid cars we will see the advent of this technology, at which time ICE's will primarly be used to generate electricity and not much more.

Ceramic coatings act as a barrier to heat, whereby their use prevents heat from so easily transferring from one object to another. And just what is "them"?

Plating is temporary at best, if you are looking for the longest lasting, shiniest appearance you are probably better off simply polishing most metal surfaces. Chrome's surface structure is extremely smooth and therefore very reflective, but getting it to permanently bond to unlike metals without any cracking, lifting or peeling is very difficult over the long haul. Polishing lasts a very long time, naturally causes the surface of said metal to resist oxidation, and is easy to do on everything other than highly irregular shapes.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:57 AM   #3
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Re: How close to ECVT? Also question on ceramic coating.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan8412
Just how close are we to ECVT (electronic controlled valve timing)?? Or is it still in development? Despite the pitfall of electronic relability at such high speeds i think in the end the demise of cams would be revolutionary. Would it? Just how big a difference would it be if the valves could open whenever they pleased?

Also a question on ceramic coating. Does it insulate the heat or is it merely resistant to physical changes under extreme heat? The reason i ask is because i was wondering if one could ceramic coat them, then get them chrome plated and get great appearance that would last? Or would heat still escape and turn the chrome colors?

Last question, what is the best metal in terms of cost, appearance, and quality to plate all the metal components in a car in? Like if i were to get an old muscle car and shine everything up in the same metal to make it look nice what would be the best with all those terms and also whats the best with no expense spared?

thanks for putting up with my ignoracnce
I believe mercedes is working with camless, pneumatically activated valve, not sure how well they're doing with it, but I'd imagine theres a big problem with how fast this activator would have to work, especially with the working conditions, heat, etc. Friction wise it would offer more power, but I'd think the real power to be gained would be in the valve timing control. I suppose with this kind of system you could have a car "cammed" to run to 10,000 RPM but have the daily drivability of one made for 4 or 5,000, allowing for maximum duration at any time without having too much.

Ceramics I believe are heat resistent coatings, but they could have a friction reducing characteristic as well.

As to interior parts I've no clue, but on car rims polished (IMO) can look better then chrome, it avoids the tacky silver painted look and still resists tarnishing. although I do believe chrome offers the best protection from this & rust. Also if you ever damage the piece, rechroming costs much more then polishing the damaged area.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:12 PM   #4
Bryan8412
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by texan
Ceramic coatings act as a barrier to heat, whereby their use prevents heat from so easily transferring from one object to another. And just what is "them"?
thanks for the reply, and i apologize i wrote half of my post in my head and half on the post itself :P I was referring to headers since they have the heat problem. thanks again

and thanks for your response FYRHWK1.

Old 05-29-2002, 06:32 PM   #5
texan
Writer Mod

If that's the application, you definitely need to look into Jet Hot's header coating. It's the best of both worlds; ceramic heat barrier with a chomr-like finish. It also lasts damn near forever. Go here for more info.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:15 PM   #6
Bryan8412
AF Enthusiast

wow those look great. thanks for the link!