Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Kart Racing
Kart Racing In association with Jim Hall Kart Racing School.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Talking Dromo1 Indoor Racing!

I've peronally done this twice... plan on going again in the near future.

http://www.dromo1.com/

This place is pretty kickass, it's not as fast or as intense as some of the other karting places you can go too. But it's a definate starting place, to see if you'd like Karting.

I highly recommend it if you're in the Southern California area.

Pros: Helmet, Racing Suit, Head sock, gloves and neck brace are provided for you. You can bring your own gear if you want.

Cons: $25 a pop but you do get ample track time.

The way it works is, you first come in and fill out all the proper forms for liability and all that legal stuff (if you're a repeat customer, you just pay your money cause you're already in the system!) And if you haven't been there, you get sent to a classroom and they play a tape on how to drive the kart safely, what the flags mean and where to step on the kart and where not to touch it (yeah they have to tell you not to put your hands on the exhaust pipe... yes, that means somebody did it... what a dumbass!)

Anywho.. after that you suit up in a Sparco karting racing suit, test fit for a helmet and walk out to the spectating area.

When your group is up, they fit you with your neck brace and assign you a kart. Once the group is situated they send your group out in 3 second intervals (or about) and let you do about 6 qualifying laps.

After that, they stop the group mid track, and bring you up to the starting grid by using tracking devices in the karts to show who had the fastest lap times. Then once the group is set on the grid, the green flag is dropped and you get approximately 14-15 laps of race time.

Total on track time is about 15 minutes.

The karts do about 28mph, I average 28.4mph cause I weigh next to nothing, the speeds will very from person to person but expect to do 25+mph on the straights. It's also a highly slick track, so you can drift every turn if you feel like it... but it's a challenge to get traction. But that's what makes it fun.

Very fun place, me and my friends want to enter in the Endurance races now. It's setup where teams of 3 members race 1 hour 30 minutes of continous racing, split up into three 30 minute segments. Each member of the team races for 30 minutes straight.

Very sweet...

Anywho, Like I said, I highly recommend going to this place if you're in the Southern California area and want to see what karting is all about. I'll be sure to look into other Karting places and try out the faster karts.

I give it

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
merritr
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to merritr
Re: Dromo1 Indoor Racing!

On Friday night, Sunday nights, and many other nights of the week at Dromo 1 you will probably find many AF members there. In fact you will probably find most of the AF race team...
merritr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

Yes, you can find us there a lot... getting deep down into the 24 second range now....
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Yep, I wish I'd gotten there on time last time I went. The damn 22 fwy got backed up and I was late to go Karting with you guys. But I got to see Sean biff it into the retaining wall... now that was funny.

I have fun there, I'm just too light to be competitive. I can't get the traction out of the Kart... I'm very traction limited it seems. So, I just get all sideways as much as I can... can't go wrong with some harmless drifting.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748

I went to Dromo1 two summers ago (I was down there with a couple of buddies to attend a seminar at USC) it was fucking awesome!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

Lean left....lean left......

The light guys should be the fastest. Accelerate better off the corners.
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndago
Lean left....lean left......

The light guys should be the fastest. Accelerate better off the corners.

You would think that, I do pretty good, but I just slide around mostly. It takes alot of effort on my part to keep up with the fast guys, and at that point it's just not fun anymore.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Kart Racing