Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mondeo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
kiwiford
AF Newbie

Mondeo Zetec Poor Performance 1998

I have a just bought a Ford Mondeo 1998 with the 2 litre Zetec DOHC engine. Its down on performance - I have replaced Mass Airflow Sensor - no effect. The engine starts well and seemingly runs well but its just like someone put a 1200cc engine in!! Its a low mileage engine, compressions etc all good - no missing. Dealer has checked for OBD II codes - nothing showing. Any ideas??
kiwiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec
Re: Mondeo Zetec Poor Performance 1998

VCT solenoid?

of course that would show a CEL..

dunno what to tell you, is it Auto? these cars aren't exactly fast, remotely quick yes..

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
kiwiford
AF Newbie

Looks like it is pre- VCT as I see an EGR valve installed... Couple of photos attached might help confirm that.

I've thought timing - maybe the toothed belt was installed incorrectly - but it runs well in every other respect.

There are 2 other symptoms I have had. Initially the car ran cool - I replaced the thermostat - no major change - although from time to time the temperature was erratic - sometimes cool, other times it would come up into the normal range no problem. I replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor. I think the temperature issue is now resolved.

The other symptom I have is that occasionally it has a rough idle. any other ideas? Thanks

Old 01-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

yup i forgot mondeos that were 98 had pre 98 US zetec in them

rough idle, changed my plugs, wires and coil pack and it smoothed it out really good.. you could prolly get away with just plugs and wires..

maybe cat. convertors clogged?

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:00 AM   #5
kiwiford
AF Newbie

Thanks for that - I think the clogged cat suggestion has promise. Can the cat be removed altogether and just replaced with a conventional muffler? - if so what do you do with the Oxy sensors berore & after the cat (or should I start a new thread on this?) Cheers
Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

you should be able to run a MIL eliminator on the second o2 censor so it won't screw with it, but I'm not 100% sure on it.. look around on www.contour.org in the forums section and I'm sure you'll find a definitive awnser.

01' Chevy Blazer, DD.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mondeo