Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Espada
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 09:21 PM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Lightbulb

The Lamborghini Espada was based on two Bertone show cars: the Marzal and the Pirana, the first was based on a lengthened Miura chassis with a V6 (One row of the famous V12) and the Pirana on a Jaguar E-type chassis. The design of the Marzal was to radical for Lamborghini, and a Lambo must have a V 12 and not a 6 cilinder. But the basic idea of both cars was Feruccio Lamborghini's ideal car. So, Lamborghini and Marcello Gandini from Bertone started working on the Espada, No mid-engined V6, but the "standard" V12 in the front, the first prototype had wing-doors but later they decided to put normal doors in the car. The car looked very long, but it wasn't: 474 cm, the size of a normal car like the Ford Mustang, but it was so low (118 cm.) and wide (186 cm.). Although some say the Espada was made of aluminium: they are not, the car is made of steel and only the bonnet is aluminium. We now know the original Espada as Serie I, from 1970 on the Serie II was produced (official 400 GTE Espada), it had an improved dashboard, vented discs all around, and a 350 Hp. (serie I 325 Hp.) engine. On the Serie II power assisted steering was an optional accessories. In 1973 the Serie III was introduced, it had a slightly different nose, p.a.s. and airco were standard and the brakes and suspension were improved. The dashboard was renewed again and an automatic gearbox was optional ( this was a Chrysler Torqueflight which was a shame, it switched at 4800 Rpm, while maximum torque comes in at 5500 and the engine is willing to rev until 7500 Rpm.) For years the Espada was the fastest saloon-car in the world, it's top speed is over 250 Km/h.

Old 05-06-2001, 09:22 PM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Here is another photo :
Old 05-06-2001, 10:31 PM   #3
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I've always kind of thought they were...well...ugly. I prefer a Miura for an older Lambo.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:26 AM   #4
lambocars
AF Enthusiast

Well,

you can't really compare the Espada to any of the other Lamborghini models, this was the only Lamborghini sports car that could actually hold four adults in decent comfort, try that in one of the other 2+2 models, the rear ones are cramped.

At this time the Espada was in production it was the faster four seater on the market, some publications even called it the Italian Rolls Royce.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg es09.jpg (53.0 KB, 590 views)
lambocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 01:59 PM   #5
lambocars
AF Enthusiast

Actually the engine from the Espada was closely related to the 400 GT, Islero and Jarama engines.
Note that the Countach LP400 and LP400S actually used a slightly modified version of this same engine, with a new gearbox naturally, but still based on the Bizzarrini design from 1963.

Right up to the Countach QV, this engine design remained very close to the original, only from the Diablo on did it change rather dramatically, with original Lamborghini fuel injection.

Basically the same engine from the very first 350 GTV was modified and redesigned right up to now.

lambocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 02:04 PM   #6
scumbag
AF Newbie

No more 4 passenger GT?

Talk has it that the Espada was the original car that Mr. Lamborghini wanted to build. It certainly isn't as striking as the Countach or the Miura but what is?
Are there any other true 4 passenger exotic cars out there now?
Maybe the McLaren F1 is the last true 'more than 2 passenger car' at about 3 times the cost of the Diablo.
.......................Scumbag
scumbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
tis cheap though, and not many people have one!
Old 03-09-2002, 03:45 AM   #8
Diablo SV
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Diablo SV Send a message via AIM to Diablo SV Send a message via Yahoo to Diablo SV
Nice pic! Here's lots of MORE Espada pics to look at:

COOL!

HMMMM... Not bad!

WOW!!! Nice Espada Series II interior!

Yummmmmm...

Enjoy! And make them as your wallpaper!!!

The Bull RULEZ!
Diablo SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
reventon750
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Lamborghini Espada Problem

hi guys, I'm currently fixing a 1973 Espada here in the Philippines, I,ve managed to make it run, but my problem now is that the right bank of the engine (1-6) seems to be not burning fuel. I've checked and tested the electricals, spark plugs and the distributor and it's working ok. Can you please help me on this. Thanx
reventon750 is offline   Reply With Quote