Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Jeffrv
AF Regular

windsheld frame

Took my 95 Trans sport into glass shop to have a cracked front windshield. Upon removal of the side trims, it was discovered that there was extensive rust on the frames on both sides; in fact the drivers side had holes right through, which explains why I could never fix a persistent leak. At the bottoms corners on both sides were oval shaped rust holes, about 2 by 3 inches, and I suspect the area under the plastic cowl is rather rough.
The glass shop did not want to remove the glass for fear they would not be able to reinstall the new.
Have talked with a couple shops, and nobody really wants to touch it.
I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation, and what they have done to rectify. It seems I have 3 options:
1. Do nothing, just drive it as it
2. Try and clean up everything, use fiberglass to patch or more correctly, seal the cracked window.
3. Remove the windshield, and the 2 side windows as well, and have a full restoration done on the frame.
Obviously, number 3 would be best, but I can only imagine the expense. Again, glass shops feel there is a fair chance the side windows might break on removal, and they are not cheap. Also not sure if trim has to be removed, and leads to another whole set of issues.
Anyone out there gone down a similar road?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Re: windsheld frame

Well, it seems I guess I am unique, as it appears nobody else has had similar issues. Talked with a couple of body shops, and they really didn't want to touch it, or gave a quick estimate so high to make it impractical. So have gone with option 2, and used fiberglass to seal the window for now.
sadly, it means I can no longer depend on this van as our sole means of transportation, but I guess at 25 years old, it has done well. I have purchased a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica van, pending a decision on what to do about the Trans sport; for now, still driving it, but not sure for how much longer. Too bad, as there is little corrosion elsewhere; this really took me by surprise.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Aleekat, thank you for the reply. I ran repair such as that by the glass guy, and he indicated it was critical that the repair be smooth and level, with no joints that could allow moisture in to create more rust. Just leveling it off with fiberglass as I was considering would in most likelihood be soon doomed to failure. In addition, this quick fix does not address the structural issues with significant corrosion present. The metalworking needed to properly fix this is way beyond my skillset. Closest quick estimate from bodyshop was around $1K, not including windshield and removal/installation of side windows, this for a 25 year old van with approaching 300K KM.
For now, the gap between the windshield and side windows have been cleaned up as best can, and fiberglassed over, so I can still drive it, pending a decision on what to do with it.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

There's always 30yr Silicon chalk. To seal the leaks.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
Jeffrv
AF Regular

The fiberglass has sealed the leaks, had several rains with no problem. However, I am not sure if it was as a result of the repair, or the windshield and frame are now shifting, but cracks are appearing on the windshield on both sides now, not looking encouraging.
I have found some part numbers for the windshield frame, p/.n
12517625 frame and 10158989 upper. So far have not been able to locate or price any of these to see if it would be feasible to change out the whole frame, but again suspect not.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
Meridivs
AF Regular

There is this substance that also converts/stops the rust and hardens to almost-metal strength:

https://youtu.be/iDGgpzKGy08

I would try it before scraping the van (it's still one of my favourites after almost 20 years of ownership).
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
Jeffrv
AF Regular

I took the van to another glass place with a reputation of tacking more difficult jobs that other places pass up on, and they did remove the windshield. The actual frame for the windshield was really in not bad shape, minor surface corrosion. The frames for the side windows which butt right up to the windshield frame had many pinholes right through. In addition, the cowl under the windshield had several good sized holes; all of these were patched with fiberglass, and a new windshield installed. Hopefully stress cracks will not reappear- it took about 7 years for them to show up again, maybe I will still have it still!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport