Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique
Driving Style and Technique Got a favorite way to enter a corner? Discuss all things related to piloting a race car here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
TougeFan
AF Newbie

Downhill Braking

First post, I hope I'm not making an ass of myself. I drive a 2002 2.2L Sunfire four door with an automatic transmission. It is in pretty upset condition... the suspension is stock and hurting and the engine is not exactly healthy. Not my car, it is the car I get to drive until I get my own, so I'm not interested in making it good as new or anything.

Anyways, because the engine is in trouble (I don't know what is wrong, but I don't want to find out) I have to stick with the downhill on my local mountain. Being an auto, I just try to hit the best lines and have fun without wrecking and avoid police. Really, it is the only fun I ever have driving and the maintenance of the car is holding me back from pushing my skills forward. I even said the other day that hate driving, but the truth is I hate every road that isn't a mountain, and I hate traffic.

Anyways, I can't wreck the brakes in the car, because I don't have the cash to throw around for it. Because it is an auto, I can't gear down to slow down before turns, so I have to brake. Is there any way I can save my brakes short of not driving?

I just want to learn as much as I can with this car before I get my own.

Just thought of another question, not as important. Will it wreck my transmission to have it in neutral, rev up and then put it in D to get a better start?
TougeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
ShadowWulf2K
AF Newbie

Re: Downhill Braking

Honestly, don't push the car too hard if you can't afford the maintenance, but it is possible to learn some race techniques without pushing the car too hard or even by speeding.

Also, try asking in the Pontiac Sunfire forum about what your engine trouble is about. Ignoring the problem will only make it worse. Who knows? Maybe it's something you can fix yourself.

Don't drop into D from neural while rev's are up. This is called "neutral dropping". It will damage your transmission.

If you are really serious about pushing your skills forward, look into some local AutoX events. However, doing AutoX will cost you brakes and tires. But if you ever get the money to afford it, try looking into it.
ShadowWulf2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
LVApex
AF Regular

As the saying goes you've got to pay to play.

BTW, its not the car thats limiting your learning curve... its you trying to learn to drive on Mountain roads. Hit up a dozen or so autocrosses and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
LVApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Take it off the road and keep it on the track, you are not in Initial D or Wangan Midnight, you are in real life, and there are dire consequences if you do or do not know what you're doing. The biggest thing I'm learning about racing, If you think it isn't going to happen, like a crash, it probably will, in spades, there is always that chance, that's why you want to be on a sanctioned track so that if anything goes wrong the authorities will get to you in time. Don't take chances you don't have to.

question, Where the heck are all these mountain roads that you teens are finding??

Stop trying to wreck your parent's car. Try asking your parents if you can take it to an AutoX in the first place.

ShadowWulf meant what he said, you can learn how to brake properly without speeding, it's all about being smooth. But don't practice racing lines on the road, there's a reason there's a double yellow line there.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5spd!!!
1987 Chevy Iroc-Z- -Needs a new cat
1992 Nissan 240sx 5spd- SOLD
Dyno247365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
TougeFan
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply ShadowWulf & apex. I will put some thought into what you said.

Dyno, I wouldn't be so fast to ignore your comment if you didn't try so hard to make me feel like an idiot. You sound like a policeman. Mountain roads (surprise, surprise) can be found on your local mountain. The solid yellow line isn't there for a reason, because no line is there at all. I respect you are trying to help me save my life (and others), but I'm just going to ignore your comment because it depresses me. Maybe next time take a less abrasive approach.

Any advice for braking, my original question?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Why do I find the last two posts so amusing?

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
LVApex
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeFan
Any advice for braking, my original question?

Like I said your pretty much screwed, You pretty much have to buy some Higher temp pads and Fluid. or simply drive slower...

A few examples as to why you are hamstringing your learning curve by trying to learn to drive on mountain roads...

1. No timing system, so theres no way to know if you were actually faster in any given turn. (In racing, the line that "feels" fast is often the slowest one)

2. Road hazards causing you to artificially lower your driving limits. As you put it "without wrecking and avoid police." These worries are forcing you to drive the car substantually lower then 10/10ths, so your not really learning you and your cars limits... Because driving 10/10ths also means that eventually you are going to exceed you and your cars limits, ushually resulting in a loss of control or spin of some sort. (5 years of Compeditive driving and I've spun my car more then a few dozen times, with nothing more then experiance and a few cone marks on my door to show of it. Can you say the same about loosing control on a mountain road?)

Any way, Like it was posted above. If you really want to learn to drive Go to an organized event. Autocross is cheep and easily accessible, just contact your local SCCA and find out where & when they run events.
LVApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
TougeFan
AF Newbie

Alright. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
Why do I find the last two posts so amusing?
Because the funniest man on the racing forums posted one of them.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5spd!!!
1987 Chevy Iroc-Z- -Needs a new cat
1992 Nissan 240sx 5spd- SOLD
Dyno247365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
turtlecrxsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to turtlecrxsi

I'm going to add my .02 because I live near the mountains. Dyno said one thing that was right, you have to be smooth. Also, one important thing about driving in the mountains, since you're not in any sort of timed event you don't have to clock yourself. Autox has very little resemblence to mountain driving, mainly because in the mountains you have continuous altitude variations. To the original poster, I wouldn't abuse that car too much because even though you'll become more familiar with where you're driving, your car may still screw you (especially if you don't throw money at it or take care of basic maintenance). Having good tires is always a plus. Lastly, I've never had a problem with being smooth and rather quick while driving in the mountains and ALWAYS staying on my side of the yellow line. It's really not that difficult after awhile, unless you're a redneck in a truck with a beer can between your legs and your cousin sitting shotgun right next you. LOL. Go to the mountains and watch the locals drive...

turtlecrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #11
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

Speaking of locals driving in mountains. When I went to Tenessee a few years ago I was shocked at how fast those people drive. They go around medium turns at 70-80 mph like its nothing in these old piles that look like theyre about to fall apart. Crazy.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #12
madan80
AF Newbie

well, auto trans - wonder if they work the same as manual, in terms of using the torque to travel. put it into to drive mode, and then let the car drive itself. But i dont think it will work for Autos.
anyways, why on earth would you want to take racing lines down hill? i dont know the rules in the US but here, there is a rule that is "give way for upcoming traffic" that means, racing lines are effectively ruled out.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique