Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
weezbly
AF Newbie

Rememebr when you had passed your driving test? (market research needed for a huge assignment at university)

Hi there :-)
I am a university student at Canterbury Christ Church University, and in my final year. For one of my assignments I have to write a business plan as if I were entering my company into the North American market. As part of this I have to do some market research and I hope you do not mind answering a few questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

When you passed your driving test, how easy was it to find and buy your first car? And where did you buy your car from?

Have you ever used the internet to buy a car? If so, which website would you say is the best?

Once you had your first car, did you feel safe knowing that you had family or friends around you who can give you advice and help you with any questions you had about driving?

If you did not have any family or friends who could support you with driving, who would you approach?

How would you feel about a company introduced to the USA who were dedicated to helping first time drivers?

Thank-you for your time, I am very grateful
weezbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Macapacaaa
AF Newbie

Re: Rememebr when you had passed your driving test? (market research needed for a huge assignment at university)

I'm from the UK, but i'm sure i can answer this the same as what it'd be in the USA.

When I first passed my test, I already had my car sat on the drive. It was very, very easy to find and buy, as I already knew what car I wanted. I bought the car from a Toyota Dealership.

I did actually find that car online on Autotrader but I'm sure the USA has something very similar, maybe even another autotrader.

When I passed my test and first started driving, I knew that I had friends, family and my previous driving instructor to turn too for advice and any other help needed.

If I didn't have those people to turn too, we have plenty of driving schools around here who help passed license holders gain confidence on the road on their own and ask any questions.

I can't really answer the last one due to not being in the USA, but I'm sure they'll be plenty of first time drivers there would love the support from a dedicated business.
Macapacaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
vitalmuncie
AF Newbie

Re: Rememebr when you had passed your driving test? (market research needed for a huge assignment at university)

the first car I bought was in the paper for 500 bucks with a stalling problem(10 dollar fix) which I bought before I passed drivers ed.
I have had 15 cars since then which I got mostly on craigslist.org
the funny thing about the driver course that I took is they were shut down by due to a lawsuit due to who knows what.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
rep587
AF Newbie

A family friend taught me to drive on farm roads in an old 1950 GMC pickup. My first car was a well worn Ford Falcon wagon that had been used for delivery and replaced with a newer car. The car lot offered $Zero in trade in for it and I paid $100 and kept it running for more than a year. That was long ago when gasoline was 19,9c/gallon and I was earning $1.25/hour minimum wage sacking groceries. My family was very glad that I got a license and a car because it relieved them from driving myself and my younger brother to and from school each day.

And BTW, I got my license 50 years ago today on my 15th birthday.
rep587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Dave B.
AF Regular

Re: Remember when you had passed your driving test? (market research needed for a huge assignment at university)

I didn't buy a car until 6 years after I passed my driving test. I was living at home, going to school and simply drove one of the family cars. I found the first car I purchased in a newspaper classified ad. Just for the record, that was 42 years ago and I still own that car. (I've had a lot of other ones since, though.)

I've only purchased one car on the internet, through Ebay. I had been looking for a specific antique car and found one close to me. I have done a lot of research before purchases, generally sites like KellyBlueBook and manufacturers' sites.

Driving advice wasn't an issue for me. I was a gear-head long before I could drive, so it was like a duck taking to water for me.

Who would I approach for driving help in the absence of family or friends? Not a question I've ever asked myself. I suppose that I'd have to find some sort of school or training center.

How would you feel about a company introduced to the USA who were dedicated to helping first time drivers?
I suppose that it could be made into a workable business model. The catch is that becoming a licensed driver in the U.S. is such a different process than it is in Europe that it's difficult for me to imagine how many young drivers might want to use such a service. My guess is that the clientele pool would be very limited.

My answers probably aren't typical - or the ones you hoped for, but I hope this helps with your project!

Dave B.
Southern Ohio, U.S.A.

Last edited by Dave B.; 04-19-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Add text
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
driving , learner , reminisce , test
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic