Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 07:31 AM   #16
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by digimay
However, the Lexus IS300 is a better value. About $5k cheaper you get a car that is of near equal performance. Not to mention how reliable Lexus is. My 330i is only a year old and already been in the shop twice, costing me a fortune. Sometimes I regret I should of gottin the Lexus. I've also seen a lot of Beemers stranded on freeways. The only turn-off about the IS-300 in my opinion is the cheesy rear styling and the cheap plastic interior. Besides its looks the Lexus is a great buy. I'm just a bit on the conservative side, of course everyones taste is different.
Yeah, I'm sure about that, a lot of BMWs stranded on freeways, what planet are you from. The only things I see stranded are Fords. BMW will out match any yamamoto hentai machine anyday. I'm a living testament of BMW safety, having survived a high speed crash in one, and having another BMW with over 400,000 miles, with an automatic transmission, and the only part that broke was the alternator.
Something smells about you, BMWs are covered under warrantee, there's no reason you should put money on repairs, and if you really had a BMW you wouldn't be writing this nonsense"gee the Lexus is a far better value" crap. Its amazing how easily people can type any bull they want on the internet and tarnish the reputation of a company.
kaoru-tochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #17
1qtrmilekid
Banned

Lightbulb tough choice

That's a tough choice, but I've been shopping around too and I'm torn between a 325i and the new IS sport design. I hope you're able to finally decide. I found an offer online that's giving a free subscription to media week and a few other magazines, for test driving the IS, here, check out these links

http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/index.jsp

http://www.adweek.com/aw/index.jsp

http://www.brandweek.com/brandweek/index.jsp
1qtrmilekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:59 PM   #18
tomlong
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
IM SORRY PEOPLE BUT THERES MUCH MORE TO CARS THEN JUST THAT AND THE GAS PEDAL. FIRST OF ALL THE U.S BASED LEXUS IS300'S COME WITH THE SUPRA MOTOR , YES FELLAS, THE SUPRA , WHICH WAS STOPPED IN PRODUCTION AROUND 1999. THE LEXUS IN JAPAN COMES EQUIPPED WITH A FOUR CYLINDER TURBO,( I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY DIDNT RELEASE IT IN AMERICA) BUT THE JAPANEESE VERSION FLIES OVER ANY BEEMER M3. BUT COMING BACK TO THE U.S BASED, SUPRA VERSION, THIS MOTOR HAS EXTREMELY STRONG PISTONS , CONNECTING RODS AND A CRANK SHAFT THAT CAN HANDLY 600 HORSE POWER ,DAILY DRIVING WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. NOT TO MENTION, THE STOCK MOTOR IS ALREADY EXTREMELY QUICK. I HAVE TAKEN VIRTUALLY MUSTANG SVT'S OFF THE LINE TILL ABOUT THE MIDDLE OF 3RD GEAR. THE CARS TORQUE IS IMPRESSIVE, IT HANDLES LIKE ITS APART OF YOUR BODY. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE AND I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE CAR FOR THE FACT I HAVE BEATEN SO MANY CARS. EVERYONE RUSHES TO GIVE ME COMPLIMENTS, NOT A SINGLE DAY GOES BY WHERE I HEAR," BAD ASS CAR" FROM ANYONE. I HAVE PIX OF MY CAR IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEE BUT MAN, I RECCOMEND THE IS300 OVER ANY BMW, NO BEEMER WILL RUN 600 DAILY DRIVEN HORSES, I CAN VOUCH THAT.
First of all if you have to put your car in D than you are not a true performance finatic. Second of all there are 600 HP BMWs I have 3 friends that drive them. Third of all my 540 would smoke your IS300 through all 6 gears( I race against my buddies and beat him up and down the street). I can say that his car handles a little better. Not to rag against the Lexus, because I considered buying one myself. For you to say we are mindless idiots! You do not know who we are, what we do, or how much we know. I have included some links of a 600HP E36 M3, a link for a 1000 HP M5.

http://www.bmwcarmagazine.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5878

http://www.lenzmotorentechnikusa.com/LenzBMW.htm#BMW5

http://www.cartech.net/bmwm3turbo.htm

http://www.activeautowerke.com/cars/...8M/Default.asp

Please bring some intelligence to the topic.

Last edited by tomlong; 06-27-2003 at 07:32 AM.
tomlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #19
Filehorse 525i
AF Regular

Talking

I own a 2000 Lexus RX300 and a 2002 BMW 525i. I (more correctly, my wife) wanted the Lexus at the time. I thought I was buying a luxury SUV but after 50,000 miles, I now realize I bought a Toyota with some Lexus badging. When I take the Lexus to the dealer for servicing and drive a loaner, I often find myself in a Camry and the similarities on the inside are far more than coincidental. If you really want to drive a car and feel like you're driving something "special", go with the 330i. If you want reliable, sporty transportation, the Lexus is a good second-best. The Lexus simply has no soul....!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #20
Grande
Banned

600 hp? So what!?!?!? the Lexus IS300 is still an inferior car to the BMW, and it's quoted in ALL the major car magazines, how many people that drive Lexuses actually want 600hp?!?! stupid
Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 AM   #21
buymeabmwm3
AF Enthusiast

Agreed. The real competition to the 330i/Ci is the G35 sedan and coupe from Infiniti. Having driven my friend's very very impressive 330Ci, I want to drive the G35 for comparison. It has won some "Car of the Year" awards, so its probably pretty good. Both of these cars walk all over the IS300 in quality and performance.

2005 Ducati Monster 620 i.e.

2005 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab, TRD Off-Road - FINALLY HERE!

Horsepower is 100 ewoks poking you with pointy sticks.
Torque is one wookie pulling your arms out of their sockets.
buymeabmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:48 PM   #22
Cookie
AF Newbie

Well, what are you looking for?

Although the 330i would instantly leap from the lips of most die hard motorheads, you can't deny that the IS300 is a good car for the price. It handles worse, is a little slower, and the inside looks a bit cheaper but then again, it is. About 5k cheaper. Now, you could go and swap the suspension for some stiffer springs ($250), strut towers ($500), maybe even a sway bar ($250 again). Maybe screw all that and just get a new set of coil overs (2k). Either way you lose the handling disadvantage. That still leaves the speed, which, considering the targeted buyer and the engine installed, would most likely come in the form of a turbo (5k, if not more). That brings you to the price of the BMW. So your car handles the same as the BMW, probably is a little faster and still has a cheap interior, not to mention that the 330i will still be naturally aspirated, losing that horrendous turbo lag.

The BMW is probably more suited towards the older, more mature buyers looking for something that can handle well while the is300 is for the younger, more "my car is faster than your car" crowd. I know which car I'd take on a twisty, and it ain't from Japan.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:17 AM   #23
Celsdogg
AF Regular

you know what too? i just dont like how most all japanese cars are soooo quiet. . . i like to hear the engine, it is something to be treasured at 5k rpm, not something to muffle. . .
2008 Toyota Sienna LE

Retired:
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL
1991 BMW E30 325i
2001 Honda Odyssey EX
Celsdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #24
ugly kid jon
AF Enthusiast

Re: Well, what are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie
Now, you could go and swap the suspension for some stiffer springs ($250), strut towers ($500), maybe even a sway bar ($250 again). Maybe screw all that and just get a new set of coil overs (2k). Either way you lose the handling disadvantage. That still leaves the speed, which, considering the targeted buyer and the engine installed, would most likely come in the form of a turbo (5k, if not more). That brings you to the price of the BMW. So your car handles the same as the BMW, probably is a little faster and still has a cheap interior, not to mention that the 330i will still be naturally aspirated, losing that horrendous turbo lag.
And how many people that buy Lexuses actually work on their own car? Hiring a mechanic to do the work would cost $5000. The only people I see driving a Lexus are Jewish, Asian, or people that hate Germans.
ugly kid jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #25
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
i plan on getting an IS300 sometime b4 the end of the year....the selling point for me was the styling. i had always wanted a 323i but when i say the IS i nolonger wanted the BMW. the only thing about the BMW that i do not care for is itz lack of styling or should i say change of style. i haven't driven the 323i but have road in it many of times and itz great. but the IS is something different. doesn't have all the "luxeries" the BMW has probably b/c itz at the bottom of the totem poll in Lexus' line-up and they treat it as such. But i've heard nothing but great things about their maintenance dept and i know my buddy has been given the run-around many times at BMW...but i'm sure each case is different. but i love the looks and the interior of the IS...and someone mentioned that the ride of these cars is too quiet. i couldn't agree with you more. when i went on a test drive, i took it up to 110mph and it was so quiet....it was kinda funny b/c i kinda didn't know when to shift b/c i usually go by the sound of the engine rather than the tach....but the IS has my choice...i guess i fall in that catagory of "boy racers" seeing that i'm 24....too bad they don't/ didn't offer the IS200 here
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #26
ugly kid jon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by BLU CIVIC
but i love the looks and the interior of the IS...
yes, you will get the looks with the Lexus, the karaoke styled Altezza tail lights are the bench mark of good taste.
ugly kid jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:16 PM   #27
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
Quote:
Originally posted by ugly kid jon

yes, you will get the looks with the Lexus, the karaoke styled Altezza tail lights are the bench mark of good taste.
that was never the case until....well we all know what happened
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:04 PM   #28
Cookie
AF Newbie

I dunno. The bmw styles seem to be just "timeless" My dad's old 318i (something like '84) still looks damn good, if not a little boxy.

Yes, the lexus is quiet. But when i'm buying a luxury-sports car i want some noise, some feedback from the car. If i'm gonna cruise i'd buy a mercedes, but for shear gasoline burning fun i'd take the 330.

Maintenance is merely a reflection of the dealer. I happen to shop in beverly hills so all the rich people seem to spend enough to demand 1st class service for all customers .

neverless the lexus is still a good car. Most likely more reliable than the BMW (it's japanese... can't argue with that), just not quite the machine i'm looking for.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #29
M52poweredE46
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to M52poweredE46
The 330 is just flat out a better car. Yes it may cost more but I think the many times I've pulled off IS300s or just passed by one in a hard turn are definately worth the money (not to mention its a BMW-much better quality--reliability could go either way)

The IS300 was designed to beat the 328 --Toyota didn't even expect a 3.0 liter from Bimmer-- so the IS300 is really no match for a 330.

I think an IS should be compared to a 325 or 328

Digimay--330 in the shop twice- you prob messed something up under the hood or got a -what were the problems? why werent they covered by 50k-4 year warrantee?

I have NEVER wished i had an IS300 over my 330 it just can't compare

you might think im bias but dont get me wrong im also a loyal toyota owner but Lexus doesn't build a car that beats the 330
M52poweredE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #30
makeminebmw
AF Newbie

I have driven both cars and I agree that the 330i is the better drivers car. The IS300 is very good; much closer to a BMW than any other Lexus, but it's not quite there. Handling and power is pretty good, but the interior is kinda cheap (esp. by Lexus standards) and the gauges are a joke. It compares better to a 320i, which negates the price difference. The 3 series is still the best in their class; the closest 2 cars are the A4 and the IS300.
makeminebmw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series