Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
jake1ekaj
AF Newbie

changing engines

Gents,

I have a 96 Metro with the 1L that has an average compression of 80 psi. I was going to get an engine from Tiger Japanese Auto Parts but for some reason the paypal payment didn't complete. Are they (Tiger) reputable and has anyone dealt with them? Are there any others out there that are worth dealing with in the north east?

As far as the engine, its the same through all the years isn't it? Pretty much just changing the oil pump and intake is all that is needed? I'm on spring break next week and wanna get this back in running order. 70 miles a day with my truck would kill the wallet.

I noticed in the JDM Engine Depot photos, the motor on the crate had a tranny with it, but it looked like it had a pan indicating an automatic??? If they came with a transmission, that would be great, my synchro for 1st is gone and 2nd is leaving. You can down shift into 2nd, but not first.

Jake
jake1ekaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Woodie83
AF Enthusiast

Re: changing engines

You want to keep everything that bolts on, just change the block and head. Intake manifold, distributor, thermostat housing, and all accessories stay with the car.

It probably comes into the country mated to a transmission, but they'll split them up and sell separately before you see it. There is no reason whatsoever to downshift into first gear unless the car is stopped dead.

98 Metro and 06 Aerio SX

Don't waste your vote on one or the other of the Republicrats, vote for Gary Johnson and really do something for a change
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Woodie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: changing engines

i bought 5 engines from them so far and all were good. on a 96 you will need to use your oil pump and pan and intake manifold. you may or may not need to change your exhaust depepending on what year engine they send you. they do not come with tranmsission unless you pay extra. you do need to change your oil pump and pan because the 96 and newer have a crank angle sensor older ones do not
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote