Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Aphix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aphix Send a message via MSN to Aphix Send a message via Yahoo to Aphix
$4K, an autophile, and a led foot

Ive been shopping around lately with what I have...which isnt much I know. Im looking for something sporty, and somewhat fuel efficient. I know this isnt a good combo but work with me. I got 4k to use along with upgrades after that. And I was thinking along the lines of an 90 mustang or 89 camaro or something like that ya know. Sporty, under 4k, and somewhat fuel efficient. You guys got any ideas?
Aphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
bluevp00
AF Enthusiast

Re: $4K, an autophile, and a led foot

Sorry to say, but a Mustang or Camaro WILL NOT be fuel efficient at all - especially ones that were made over 16 years ago. (13-15 mpg is "great mileage" for those cars) However, there is no doubt that they will both be fast and sporty.

Since gas mileage is something important to you, then maybe consider something like a Mitsubishi Eclipse, Honda Civic EX, Toyota Celica, or Nissan 240 SX. If you want to stick to the domestics: Ford Taurus SHO (V6, not the V8), Ford probe, Dodge Avenger, just to name a few.

These are only suggestions, the bottom line is KEEP LOOKING. Test drive as many cars as you can to get the feel of them, sooner or later you'll find your best car. Domestics are great, but it's worth it to look at the import models too. 4 bangers are always great on gas (usually around 24-30 mpg) and some of them can be pretty quick too.
bluevp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Aphix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aphix Send a message via MSN to Aphix Send a message via Yahoo to Aphix

Personally I love the imports. I wish I could buy a supra or a nice car and just spent all my time modding and working on it. The only thing stopping me is that I live in Nebraska, which is a huge part of the rust belt and snow. And the stereotype of hicks with big trucks (which isnt entirely false). People usually dont take kindly to imports out here. But thanks for the ideas I checked em all out on ebay motors.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

if you get a Fox 5.0 with a manual and can keep your foot out of it around town, you can get decent fuel economy.

Most of the cars bluevp suggested are nowhere close to the performance class of a V8 mustang or Camaro.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
Aphix
AF Newbie

I think Ive decided on maybe the monte carlo, or avenger. The 5th gens seem cheap and look pretty nice and the avenger looks great and my only concern is finding one. I never see any of them of them on the insurance pool or even in classifieds.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Hofmeister
AF Regular

The Avenger is not the most reliable car, and with a 164hp coming from the V6 not all that powerful either. A 190hp, 205lb-ft Nissan Maxima will run circles around an Avenger and with the 5-speed manual keep up with a mid 90's Mustang. Plus, it gets great fuel economy. The VQ30DE engine used in Maximas from 1995-1999 and subsequent generations have been on Wards 10 Best Engines List for 11 years. In fact, they said it is one of the best V6's ever produced. And to top it off insurance is cheap.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Aphix
AF Newbie

So you guys think this would be a worthy car to buy from an insurance pool stock and spend my time modding and working on? I care alot about my car mechanically and aesthetically. Basically what would happen is I would wait for one to show up on the insurance pool and buy it stock and wrecked and fix it up. And while or after Im fixing it up I would be slowly upgrading the parts. And would this work out in Nebraska ok?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A