Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
DAVENEWJERSEY
AF Newbie

General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Under normal accident free usage, under normal climate, welds should last a very long time.
My 2001 Chevrolet Impala has defective welds.
General Motors toll free customer service 866-942-4368 failed to provide cost assistance to repair the welding.
The poor welding is a common problem with Impala's and Monte Carlo with some verticle sub frame welds missing from assembly.
Impala is frequently used by police, and as the police tend to build up the miles on these cars, the defective welding may be leading to many of the reported control loss accidents by police Impala 's.
The sub frame weld problem is frequently mis diagnosed as intermediate steering shaft problems, as both problems cause noise when turning the steering wheel.
I am very sad that an american car builder such as general motors would allow missing welds and poor quality welding.
If you hear of any GM control loss accidents, remember this posting.
Hold general motors responsible in control loss accidents of Impala and Monte Carlo.
DAVENEWJERSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MCO_Death Send a message via MSN to MCO_Death Send a message via Yahoo to MCO_Death
Re: General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVENEWJERSEY
Under normal accident free usage, under normal climate, welds should last a very long time.
My 2001 Chevrolet Impala has defective welds.
General Motors toll free customer service 866-942-4368 failed to provide cost assistance to repair the welding.
The poor welding is a common problem with Impala's and Monte Carlo with some verticle sub frame welds missing from assembly.
Impala is frequently used by police, and as the police tend to build up the miles on these cars, the defective welding may be leading to many of the reported control loss accidents by police Impala 's.
The sub frame weld problem is frequently mis diagnosed as intermediate steering shaft problems, as both problems cause noise when turning the steering wheel.
I am very sad that an american car builder such as general motors would allow missing welds and poor quality welding.
If you hear of any GM control loss accidents, remember this posting.
Hold general motors responsible in control loss accidents of Impala and Monte Carlo.
Ever consider the chances of this defect per car? The Impala has been a top-10 list of top selling cars since its release in 2000.

The police don't use Impala's nearly as much as Chevrolet would like, just from the fact they arn't Crown Vic's. All cars have their problems in police duty. Crown Vic's were likely to burst into flames if their cruisers were struck in the rear. Point being, all cars have flaws, GM has fixed it on the newer Impala's.

What amazes me, after a company refused to fix something to your liking, you hold onto this car, saying how its a possible death trap, ranting on and on about how bad GM is for not fixing it. Millions of customers will keep buying their products.

As much as I hate to, think of that quote from fight club about car recalls.
MCO_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
p-impala
AF Newbie

gm has no control. they out source almost every thing. i work at a plant that assembles the drive train to the cradle for the equinoxs and we've had tie rod ends come with no grease in the ball joints and our Q.A s pass it (quality Assurance). they say we dont put the grease in the ball joints so if they arn't ripped open its not our fault if the is no grease in them. thats what a warrenty is for. bull sh#T!..
p-impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
DAVENEWJERSEY
AF Newbie

Re: Re: General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Death
Ever consider the chances of this defect per car? The Impala has been a top-10 list of top selling cars since its release in 2000.

The police don't use Impala's nearly as much as Chevrolet would like, just from the fact they arn't Crown Vic's. All cars have their problems in police duty. Crown Vic's were likely to burst into flames if their cruisers were struck in the rear. Point being, all cars have flaws, GM has fixed it on the newer Impala's.

What amazes me, after a company refused to fix something to your liking, you hold onto this car, saying how its a possible death trap, ranting on and on about how bad GM is for not fixing it. Millions of customers will keep buying their products.

As much as I hate to, think of that quote from fight club about car recalls.
"The cost of the repairs from a recall is greater than the cost of paying injury and death lawsuits from the unsafe vehicles"
Is that the fight club quote you speak of?

I await the service managers return from vacation to seek cost assistance toward the labor of the weld fix.
When the weld kit super-glue is applied {thats a GM authorized repair!!}
I will dump this Impala and look at the Kia Sorrento and Chrysler Pacifica.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MCO_Death Send a message via MSN to MCO_Death Send a message via Yahoo to MCO_Death
Re: Re: Re: General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Quote:
"The cost of the repairs from a recall is greater than the cost of paying injury and death lawsuits from the unsafe vehicles"
Is that the fight club quote you speak of?

I await the service managers return from vacation to seek cost assistance toward the labor of the weld fix.
When the weld kit super-glue is applied {thats a GM authorized repair!!}
I will dump this Impala and look at the Kia Sorrento and Chrysler Pacifica.
Thats the quote.

Have fun with the new, non-GM vehicle. Kia's have good warrenties, and Chrysler couldn't have gotten worse after joining with Diamler.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:07 AM   #6
DAVENEWJERSEY
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Death
Thats the quote.

Have fun with the new, non-GM vehicle. Kia's have good warrenties, and Chrysler couldn't have gotten worse after joining with Diamler.
GENERAL MOTORS SHOULD OFFER TO REPAIR DEFECTIVE SUB FRAME WELDING AND DEFECTIVE INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFTS, BOTH OF WHICH ARE COMMON PROBLEMS WITH 2000-2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
Stretch58
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Quote:
GENERAL MOTORS SHOULD OFFER TO REPAIR DEFECTIVE SUB FRAME WELDING AND DEFECTIVE INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFTS, BOTH OF WHICH ARE COMMON PROBLEMS WITH 2000-2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Any safety complaints should also be filed with the NHTSA. About the only help we have.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Stretch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
ogre73
AF Regular

Quote:
...but they will try a super glue type fix on the welds to reduce their cost.
By your own words, you say a super glue "type" of fix. This does not imply that they actually use a glue. It could very easily mean that they are going to use a different type of metal alloy or a different weld rod or something of the sort to try to repair the weld joints that already exist. It would almost be the same as "reflow" in soldering electronics. They may try this as opposed to inserting a specially designed and expensively machined bracket that would most likely be overkill.

You may have been upset with the situation while they were explaining the problem to you and not taken the time to fully understand what they meant. Or you could have understood completely and known that they weren't going to use glue, but used to your advantage on this forum what the mechanic said. Being vague is a great way to incite misunderstanding and cause a "snowball effect" where a small misunderstanding contributes logarithmically to greater misunderstanding based on assumptions.

Either way, I'm sure that GM will not send you on your merry little way without knowing you are safe.

Good luck with a Kia or a Dodge.
ogre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: General Motors Defect Welding Recall ?

Quote:
Nothing says they have to offer repairs for anything, they can easily just settle claims out of court if it kills anyone. You are the first and only person i've heard of with this problem. If you screamed like a girl to them about it like you do on this forum, I can see why no one wants to help you. Go have fun with a different company.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
3.4imp
AF Regular

Dave, Dave, Dave, I feel your pain. BUT you gotta understand you pay what you way. I've already gone thru that bullsh*t. I've probably spent 6-8 grand on a new engine, transmission, and anything else you can think of. but chevy understands if you buy an impala, you have the money to fix it or else you would of bought a cavalier or an aveo. kia has those bumper to bumper warranties cause they know the people that buy those cars barely have enough money to put clothes on their back.
3.4imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
winterover
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.4imp
Dave, Dave, Dave, I feel your pain. BUT you gotta understand you pay what you way. I've already gone thru that bullsh*t. I've probably spent 6-8 grand on a new engine, transmission, and anything else you can think of. but chevy understands if you buy an impala, you have the money to fix it or else you would of bought a cavalier or an aveo. kia has those bumper to bumper warranties cause they know the people that buy those cars barely have enough money to put clothes on their back.
I bought an impala because I've always had good luck with GM and that I didn't ever have to spend money on GM cars and trucks past the warrantee period. Sadly, my impala has proven to me that my thinking was flawed. I would expect that whatever product you buy, you expect it to last. I work in the aerospace industry. Doesn't matter if the parts we make go on a cessna or a 747.... its got to work! Hey, if Kia can provide a 10 year warrantee, more power to them! I don't think they'd offer that if they didn't think they had a quality product. I think that GM and others should stand up and take note from these other car makers.
winterover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
ogre73
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterover
Hey, if Kia can provide a 10 year warrantee, more power to them! I don't think they'd offer that if they didn't think they had a quality product. I think that GM and others should stand up and take note from these other car makers.
Not trying to downplay anything here, but in my personal experience, as well as on this board I have seen many times where things like the Hyundai and Kia warranties seem misunderstood. This tells me that the companies are doing a great job of leading people to believe one thing while meaning something different. For example, they say a 10 year/100K mile warranty. While this is partially true, it certainly is not the whole truth. Can you imagine a car company giving a bumper to bumper warranty for that long? They would be out of business in a year. If you look more closely at the warranty you will see that it is only 10 years 100K miles (limited) on the powertrain. The rest of it is 5 years 60K miles (admittedly still better than GM). If you dig deeper you will also see that the requirements for receiving repair under warranty are no less strict than what American car companies require (regular maintenance and keep the receipts, bub!). In addition, the warranties require that repairs be done at a Kia dealer. If you don't live near one, it could be quite inconvenient.

For another perspective on what car companies know about the reliability of cars, see this web site

http://www.kiamotors.com/Common/html...service01.html

where Kia says:
"Approximately 40% of the total cost of ownership for a new car goes toward maintenance and after sales service - almost as much as the cost of buying the car in the first place."

They aren't just talking about GM here; they know they'll make money after the sale, even if you pay cash for the car.
ogre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
guenther
AF Newbie

GM replaced the steering shaft cradle, which were missing welds, as well as the intermediate shaft on my 2000LS with no questions asked a few years back.
guenther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 PM   #14
DAVENEWJERSEY
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guenther
GM replaced the steering shaft cradle, which were missing welds, as well as the intermediate shaft on my 2000LS with no questions asked a few years back.
GM idiots let the Impala roll off the assembly line without welds in place?
NO CONTROL OF QUALITY AT GENERAL MOTORS!!!!
I hear their next incentive to boost sales will be BUY 1 IMPALA GET 2 FREE!!! This will be very profitable for GM due to the extreme amount of repair and faulty parts needed to drive a piece of crap impala.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
guenther
AF Newbie

Quote:
GM idiots let the Impala roll off the assembly line without welds in place?
NO CONTROL OF QUALITY AT GENERAL MOTORS!!!!
I hear their next incentive to boost sales will be BUY 1 IMPALA GET 2 FREE!!! This will be very profitable for GM due to the extreme amount of repair and faulty parts needed to drive a piece of crap impala.
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again. STFU and buy an import!
guenther is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS