Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cima | Nissan President | Infiniti Q45
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
93Q45
AF Newbie

Question What is wrong with my radio???

When I push the Tuner button (power on) the radio, a horrible loud high pitched tone comes out of the speakers, regardless of the volume control position. I can't get any function to work. I just bought the car and it was working when I picked it up. The previous owner had the alternator changed just befor delivering it to me. Maybe that has something to do with it. The problem occured for the first day or two, then a couple of days later I tried it again and everything worked fine, now today it was back to loud screech.

If I do need to replace it, I would like to get a CD/MP3 player. But I would rather it worked right for now. Any suggestions?
93Q45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
xuhuru
AF Newbie

My '91 Q's radio does a similiar thing... But instead of a screech it pops.

cuchuo
xuhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:45 AM   #3
DrewBartonQ45
AF Newbie

My Q also has the same problem 1990... My stepfathers Q has the same problem... Easy ghetto fix... Find the speaker that makes the pop or the high pitch whine... and just disconnect it... The others will go out soon enough... The whole thing has left me grizzled ...
DrewBartonQ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:20 AM   #4
maxnix
AF Regular

Re: What is wrong with my radio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuhuru
My '91 Q's radio does a similiar thing... But instead of a screech it pops. - cuchuo
There is a factory recall on the 1991 Q45 that will fix the speakers/amps for free. Other options are discussed in depth at NICO.

Last edited by maxnix; 10-21-2003 at 01:55 PM.
maxnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:32 AM   #5
Ensnareyou
AF Newbie

The Bose amps in your car need to be either rebuilt or replaced. What happens is the capacitors in the Bose amps dry out over time and then the amp fails. This failure usually starts with some popping, screeching, and eventually it just stops working. This problem is common in most Bose amps, especially those that are older. Each Bose speaker in your car utilizes a separate amp so its best to repair all four at once rather than one at a time since all the Bose amps will eventually fail.

You can have the Bose amps rebuilt at Willman Electronics in TX and its not too expensive. Willman also offers a warranty with every Bose amp they repair and they do the job right. I highly recommend them. Their web address is http://www.willmanselectronics.com/boseinfo.htm.

Infiniti did have a recall on some rear Bose amps in the Q45 but I'm not sure which model years though. The recall was because of a possible fire risk if the Bose amps overheated. Since the Q45's rear Bose amps are mounted just above the fuel tank the possibility of the car catching fire should the amps fail was a concern. Infiniti would replace the rear amps and/or install a shield that would keep the amps away from the fuel tank. Whether or not Infiniti will replace your Bose amps under recall you'd need to contact Infiniti to be sure. If your front Bose speaker amps are not functioning Infiniti won't likely replace those as they didn't pose a fire risk but you can certainly ask Infiniti to be certain.
Ensnareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
FXman
Banned

Re: What is wrong with my radio???

well you should ask your dealers name about that i jsut got rit of my 2001 Q45 and got the FX45 and i asked the dealer about that problem and they said they fixed it in the 2000....
FXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #7
aznbean
AF Newbie

but a new hu

seriously just buy a new head unit and speakers , i did it and but i got it hooked up it ll cost around 360 ( what i got it for ) to 400 its well worth it . it sounds pristine
aznbean is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cima | Nissan President | Infiniti Q45