Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Thumbs up Can't wait for the next drift event? Try these on for size...

What can you go see when D1 or Formula D isn't for a few months or already passed?

700 horsepower Off-Road Racing Trucks!!!

It's drifting... but with an actual point. A real race!

Remember, these drivers are out for blood... not to show off tire smoke. Real racing, real drifting, real fun.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:02 AM   #2
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

And don't forget the steer right/turn left guys of modern Sprint Car and Midget racing. As well as Dirt Late Model, Dirt Modifieds, and flat track motorcycle racing.

Kick 'em slideways at the drop of the green and hold them like that until the checkered flag flies.

Wingless sprint car

Winged sprint car

Midget

Dirt Late Model

Dirt Modified

Flat Track Motorcycle

Trust me, drifting is alive and well at your local Saturday Night oval.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Soyo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soyo
Re: Can't wait for the next drift event? Try these on for size...

dirt modifieds are the best! I used to go watch those all the time till they shut down our track
HKS Blow-Off Valve, Stainless brake and clutch lines
Old 06-22-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
-The Stig-
On Fire!

I think everybody here in the Drifting forum should go and check out the local dirt track events.

I bet they'd like it whether they'd want to admit it or not.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

http://www.racereview.com/racetracks.htm

They have a full list of most every operational race track in the U.S. Look through and then search for info. Doubtless you'll find a racetrack near you that fields one or more of these divisions of racing.

Support your local racers and tracks. As Soyo and I have both experienced, oftentimes a track goes away long before its time.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Suislide
AF Fanatic

does this really need to be stickied still?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Yes.

Yes it does. So the little boys and girls of the world can see that you can enjoy drifting in places other than Japan.

Infact it's been going on longer here, than it has there... people just fail to realise that. They don't want to admit that... it'd warp their fragile little minds.

Plus it's just fun to see a truck get silly slideways while bumpin and jumpin all over the freakin place. w00t!

Old 09-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Well if fat trucks sliding sideways on mud is drifting then so is rally right? I mean the Millen family has been rally racing for three generations and up and down Pikes Peak. so that is drifting too right? and when my girlfriends mom hydroplaned on a wet road? mad props to my drifting mother in law! OOOOOHHH and all those funny videos of people loosing control in the snow and "black ice" drift o rama.....come on people. have some respect. there is a deffenition to drift and its not "going sideways in a car" I have nothing but mad respect for ya Redneck and I hope ya wont take it the wrong way. I enjoy dirt racing too, shit I lived in Georgia for 4 years and would attend religiously but "drift" is only drift if it is done on solid ground, roads, highways, streets, or tracks. New Zealand ice racing is all sideways....still not drifting. and YES, the Japanese defenetly invented "Dorifto". no one can take that away from them!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:44 AM   #9
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Yeah Rally racing uses alot of Drifting techniques.

If you've ever watched the CORR trucks race. You see alot of the same techniques used in drifting. Alot of Feint and Lift-Off techniques are used.

They're still counter-steering. They're still sliding through the turn. They're still spinnin the shit outta the rear tires. They're still drifting.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:51 AM   #10
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

The only thing the Japanese seem to have "invented" is the idea of drifting as a judged style competition. The Japanese have evented the motorsport equivalent of FIGURE SKATING!

Jeezus Chryyyyst you "JDM YO!" imbeciles can't see more than 3 feet beyond your friggin' nose. Rallying, CORR, and just about the entiriety of dirt circle track (and quite a bit of some pavement circle track) racing involves drifting HEAVILY to the point where suspension systems have been developed to induce drifting.

And the two top drivers in Formula D - Rhys Millen and Samuel Hubinette - came from rally and ice racing backgrounds respectively. I'd say that drifting competitively first will build a better show drifter out of a driver anyday.

Just ask Bob Bondurant.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
Suislide
AF Fanatic

God, layla, get over it already.

we get the fucking point!

the fact is, while the Japanese may have invented only the idea to use it as a judged competition...that's what most people are here to talk about!

you've more then driven the idea into our heads that your precious dirt track cars, CORR trucks, and whatever the fuck else do use drift techniques and most definitley were using them way before the Japanese ever were.

but the fact is most people in here don't give a flying fuck!

they come in here to talk about the Japanese version, which is a judged competition. they come in here to talk about D1, to talk about where to drift, to talk about what the best car for drifting is.

i can READILY admit that this isn't the best drift forum on the internet (not even close), but for fuck's sake they're coming in here to talk about the SEPERATE sport of drifting. not how it's used in other motorsports, not to debate about who invented it etc.etc.

/rant.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #12
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Looks like we finally go through to somebody eh Justin?

Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #13
EVOclipse
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EVOclipse

update....how well does millin stand up to any of the top 16 japanese drifters still? and what about orido-san ( a bred racer- jgtc driver) hasnt won a single event yet and wrecked several times. the only reason a racecar driver might be better is because he has the funding to practice everyday and with better equipment sometimes as well as do it legalymore often. Might i remind that the japanese are still WAY ahead at this sport. agreed yes your other recomendations are similar to drifting, and yes it kind of is(drifting)...but i think the literal sense now-a-days means...on pavement...ie smoke and screecching tires and fire and hot chics.........grin.....

p.s. yess i am slightly biased against race drivers, mostly because theyre all equivalents to being born with a silver spoon...what like 90-95% of all drivers got where they are because theyre daddies were drivers. or something similar. i like drifting because it gives the street pros a chance to break into racing. to get a foothold at greatness and then learning more and starting a career

(96 eclipse RS 5-speed, magnaflow exhaust,chrome headers,cold air intake,denso iridium sparkplugs,new kumho tires )******EDIT totalled car now*******
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 AM   #14
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Son, you don't have a fucking clue about motorsport.

I was considering being reasonable, but you really don't know a goddamned thing about racing, owning a race car, or even PROFESSIONAL DRIFTING.

How is Rhys Millen doing against the Japanese? Podium at GTLive, Consistent semi-finalist at Irwindale, swatted Seigou Yamamoto around like an annoying gnat all year in Formula Drift. That's spot on for "Top 16".

Samuel Hubinette, back when he debuted in the Jasper Supra, was also a strong runner against the Japanese drivers. His Mopar contract has kept him away from D1 at Irwindale these past two years (in 2004 his Viper Competition Coupe was illegal under D1 Gran Prix rules and the SRT-10 Roadster was not finished in time for 2005) and it is unlikely his new Charger (as shown at SEMA) will out in time for Irwindale this time around.

Now, as for the "silver spoon" remark. FUCKING WRONG. Yes, there are a lot of racing families. That has nothing to do with wealth especially in the circle track community. Good example would be the Shullicks. You see Dave in my signature below. Dave is one of three brothers who went racing on their own dime. His older brother George was the first to buy a car (this was back in the mid-60's) and raced with some success, but little brother Dave wanted to drive too. George let Dave run (without telling mom) once Dave was able to pay for the fuel.

Dave won races, enough that he was able to get another ride while George went back to driving his own car UNTIL George broke his back in a crash, relegating him to crew chief/car owner status.

Youngest brother Pat put up money to drive after a string of other drivers.

Pat drove until landing a ride with Steve Stout.

George's car sat for a little bit until Dave's son D.J. decided he wanted to move from midgets to supermodifieds. Dave wouldn't let D.J. drive for the team Dave was on at the time (felt that D.J. shouldn't get topnotch equipment without proving a topnotch driver) so D.J. called up Uncle George.

D.J. drove one race in Uncle Pat's old ride for Uncle George, impressed the daylights out of his competitors, and was hired by Bill Kovacs (a rival owner to Dave's team at the time, Ken Boldman's RaceRace America). D.J., Pat, and Dave all drove against each other for about a season until Pat hung up his helmet and Mr. Boldman hired D.J.

This is the reality of how "family deals" go down in racing. You might have a relative with a car who might let you drive for a pittance, but more often than not you spend your own money for your own car and spend A LOT of it. Hell, DRIFTING at the top levels is a sport of semi trailer haulers. You think Taka Aono is driving an AE86 with a Hasselgren Engineering 4AGZE Atlantic-spec engine on the street? And I'm sure that you'll see the Blitz BR34 sedan driving to the Kwickie Mart, too.

No, not every road/circle track driver can transition to drifting easily. Hell, James Bondurant doesn't look to be figuring it out any time soon (last I saw). But they are not a bunch of spoiled brats weaned on mommy's teat. No racer is, and while there are a lot of racing families, that's because racing is a family sport. Go to any short track or SCCA club meet and you'll see a family gathered around a race car, whether it's driving, turning wrenches, writing lap times, or just cheering from the stands.

If you took the time to actually participate in motorsport instead of jacking off on your Eclipse's handbrake while spouting off asinine comments on message boards, you'd realize just what sort of nonsense your head is filled with. Put down the keyboard, get an SCCA membership, go to the track, and get ready for reality before it bites you in the face.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 AM   #15
EVOclipse
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EVOclipse

wow he swatted siego all year during formula D! wooo, he is alot better then when he first started but im sorry the first iriwindale the only american that belonged was ernie, rhys barely had any angle and looked like a total amatuer, again i will put up 50 top drifters of japan vs america i still guarantee we will loose. hands down theres not enough seat time to be on there level. Its possible and we soon will be but rhys by no means is a D1 threat, yes he can qualify, but hes not even close to the consistancy of japan's. And yes alot of pro/stock car racing people get into it because they knew someone. im sorry yes driving a car is a talent. but anyone can practice and get good enough, 9times out of 10 the only people in racing are born in because thats all they know from growing up. im not blaming them but its a far fuckin cry from any god damn kid whos got a license and some real skill with his car to get the damn chance. hell even some person who may autocross his heart out and do it well, no team/car owner is going to just throw him a bone. you dont see very many nobodies in racing....because no one knows them. they go unnoticed.granted theyre are a few and i never said anything was completely anyway, and as to all the people you referenced...i have no fucking clue who they are, yes they may race for a living(making them a pro) yes they may even be awesome at that, but i consider myself part of the general population. as well as a car enthusiast...and i still dont care about those motorsports. yes i know they exist and even respect them, but i dont care about them. i dont aspire to be the next sprint car champ. Helll i dont even know if i could handle it. it would be scary as fuck. regardless.I like the fact that drifting can open up the door for amatures and people from the streets to get into motorsports. yes everyone is now at the level of trailers. but you know what. that doesnt mean a street driven car cant beat them.(its not about the car, its the driver) which if u do that u have a chance at a better car/more drifting which might lead to time attack driving and then track or other spots.(like Taniguchi/JGTC)

(96 eclipse RS 5-speed, magnaflow exhaust,chrome headers,cold air intake,denso iridium sparkplugs,new kumho tires )******EDIT totalled car now*******

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting