Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Steviodaddio
AF Newbie

Help: Tips and Tricks to building a good tuner car for drifting

Hey.

I've seen a lot of drifting and I do it in the winter time in parking lots (Can it be called drifting? =p) but I have never payed any attention to the specs.

As I am buying my first car, (I have been looking for a RWD Mitsubishi Evo 6-8, or a Galant) I am looking for a car that in the future I will be able to soup up and be able to drift with.

Looking around, I've seen that you can pretty much drift with any RWD (and AWD) car(s).

Engines..
Anyone have an approximate price range I would/should be spending on a good engine that will include a turbocharger, and whatever may be needed for drifting?
Also, how much do nOS systems run for? (Single or double large tanks)

I was watching Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift and noticed in the Mustang Fastback (end of the movie) that they put in a RB26DETT Twin Cam Turbo Charged from a 2001 R34 Skyline.

Anyone think they can throw together something in their spare that would be good for an amateur drifter?
And does anyone know the base price of the RB26DETT TC engine?

If I do build in the future, I dont plan on drifting all around as I would blow too much money in tires.

Thanks for your time,
Steve.
Steviodaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
JKBigHungry
AF Newbie

Re: Help: Tips and Tricks to building a good tuner car for drifting

hey a good drift car. should have a good LSD. Limited Slip Diff. something with alot of power rear end and engine. I say v6 or turbo 4. like a 240sx or maybe a mustang. U have to really put lot of thought in to this. Drifting cars are hard to come buy. U have to look around to find the right one. When I was Rallying i got a WRX because I knew that car was made for Rallying and thats what i did. so look around for a drift machine like something that is used in the D1 Drifting events, or anything like that. Have you been trying and going to a track to learn how to drift right so you don't wreck the car the first time u drift. im not saying that you may not be good but it takes alot of time to be good at something. You got a good head on your shoulder about driving a good way. Drifting is 1 of the most awesome forums of driving. it takes alot of skill to get the car to respond to you. when you kick the car out of control you have to be able to get it back in control. so just remeber that drifting there is no wax on wax off to it. It just takes time. I hoipe you the best of luck in your path to being a drift King. Your friend and fan Jack.
JKBigHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
clintster77
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBigHungry
hey a good drift car. should have a good LSD. Limited Slip Diff. something with alot of power rear end and engine. I say v6 or turbo 4. like a 240sx or maybe a mustang. U have to really put lot of thought in to this. Drifting cars are hard to come buy. U have to look around to find the right one. When I was Rallying i got a WRX because I knew that car was made for Rallying and thats what i did. so look around for a drift machine like something that is used in the D1 Drifting events, or anything like that. Have you been trying and going to a track to learn how to drift right so you don't wreck the car the first time u drift. im not saying that you may not be good but it takes alot of time to be good at something. You got a good head on your shoulder about driving a good way. Drifting is 1 of the most awesome forums of driving. it takes alot of skill to get the car to respond to you. when you kick the car out of control you have to be able to get it back in control. so just remeber that drifting there is no wax on wax off to it. It just takes time. I hoipe you the best of luck in your path to being a drift King. Your friend and fan Jack.
Just because the pros all have limited slip diff rear ends. You dont need it to start out . first learn about racing lines and grip racing . then once you feel comfortable with a picked out racing line in a safe area (somewhere you can mess up and not hit a thing )and you know what you are doing on that line you picked out. then start to pick up speed a bit so that you can get a feel of what it feels like to push your tires traction beyond what they can handle. notice that your car will loose rear grip during slight braking (on most cars) this will give you a feel of what weight shift feels like.. try to keep your grip line while sliding ( one way to get a good feel of what weight shift can do to your traction is to drive a rear wheel drive car with worn out shocks) A car with worn out shocks will give the car alot more weight shift to practice with.
In general a soft suspension car near its grip limit will oversteer while slowing and understeer while accelerating (as long as you are not power sliding it ) ...That is where having no lsd comes in good for a beginner WHAT DID I JUST SAY (it takes about half as much power to spin one tire as it dose two and if only one tire is starting to loose traction then that only leaves one tire on the rear to handle the lateral gs ,the result is lots of oversteer .
you will need to learn weight shift drifting as well as power over.
On a car with no LSD it will drift a bit different turning right compared to left if you are using power over drifting .so in a beginners car with worn out shocks no LSD and low power learn weight shift and brake drifting and you will be ahead of the class when you come up with enough money to put coilovers, engine swap , and lsd in it. (then add power over , and the occasional E brake tap, after you master all else.)
( avoid the temptation to learn by E brake only and you will be much happier of a intermediate Drifter ) THat was a lot .
OH even the Drift King started out with no LSD.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
JKBigHungry
AF Newbie

i think that your also right clintster77. Grip and drift is the best way but i think that he is looking to build a car and then learn to drift it. Which alot of people don't do. but hey we all get happy when we put a car together and go out and drive it. to have fun.
JKBigHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

Since you have said it is your first car, STOP! What's gonna happen when the first time you learn to drive you have 3-400 HP and maybe more in a Nitrous system and you fly through a guardrail killing yourself? I know I sound doomsday but believe me even in my little diesel beater I can put the tail out and have spun off the road. start with a cheap car that yes has low power but is RWD. Learn then burn. A Lancer might be nice since you can tune it later as you learn and come to need more power. and please learn OFF the roads. Sorry to rant but others will agree.

AMGalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

Oh one more thing F&F is fake. The kids you see driving had to practice a lot and even in the first 2 they used a lot of stunt drivers who are professionals who have driven all their lives. Admins sorry for the DP

AMGalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
coled91
AF Newbie

i agree with amgalltheway. if this is your first car do not try to turn this thing into a drift machine. especially if you have alot of power you will kill yourself i promise. and a drift machine is generally not a daily driver you want to have two cars especially if that thing messes up. start out slow and work your way up
coled91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

Also, what country do you live in?

If you live in the US you aren't going to be getting an Evo 4-6 and none of them were RWD.

Also "NOS" isn't really important to drifting or in any way a part of it.

Movies aren't real. Forget everything you "learned" by watching them.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Steviodaddio
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback.
It's been a few months since I last checked it but I was surprised to see them.

As i didn't note before:
A) I live in the US
B) I've experienced the death of 2 or 3 of my family members from driving, I don't intend to do this stuff, especially learning to drive on main roads or roads with slightly ANY traffic.
C) nOS- I love going fast but at no time will I ever push myself too far. I just want to gradually learn to go really fast but maintain control of my car which I believe will help me driving in general. I was thinking about experimenting with nOS and see how fast I could actual get my car to go when the time is right. - I'm not an idiot when it comes to driving, I hope I didn't make myself sound like that. I'm hoping everything comes slowly and naturally to me and no, I don't plan on putting my car through a guard rail cause of my speed. =)
D) I know F&F is fake, Tanner Foust and Rhys Millen did all of the actual drifting in the movie.- I was just using it as an example

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it all.
Steve
Steviodaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting