Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
renchhednot
AF Newbie

Wiring harness issues-'91 Pathfinder

I am trying to hook-up boat trailer lights on my Pathfinder. I have coming from the left rear taillight a red/white and a black wire. From the right rear taillight I have a white/blue, a green/yellow, and a red/blue wire for a total of 5 wires. I have a regular 4 terminal flat plug from my boat with a white, a brown/green and a brown/yellow together, then a yellow, and a green. I have a 4 terminal plug and I am confused about which wires go where. I know the white is the ground on the plug, the green is the right turn, the yellow is the left turn and the brown is the brake. But with 5 wires and all off-color I have no clue. I tried them all different ways but as soon as I found the right or left turn signal, then all I got was hazards flashing on the trailer. Can anybody help? Memorial Day is here soon!
renchhednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
denisb
AF Regular

Re: Wiring harness issues-'91 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by renchhednot
I am trying to hook-up boat trailer lights on my Pathfinder. I have coming from the left rear taillight a red/white and a black wire. From the right rear taillight I have a white/blue, a green/yellow, and a red/blue wire for a total of 5 wires. I have a regular 4 terminal flat plug from my boat with a white, a brown/green and a brown/yellow together, then a yellow, and a green. I have a 4 terminal plug and I am confused about which wires go where. I know the white is the ground on the plug, the green is the right turn, the yellow is the left turn and the brown is the brake. But with 5 wires and all off-color I have no clue. I tried them all different ways but as soon as I found the right or left turn signal, then all I got was hazards flashing on the trailer. Can anybody help? Memorial Day is here soon!
I think your brown wire on your trailer is the park or driving lights (wichever way you want to describe them) I know it's not brakes, because trailers use the signals for brakes. On your Pathy you have a brake light that is independant from your turn signal and on your trailer your turn and brake are the same, so........you need a magical little box (they sell at Walmart, UAP/Napa, or other car parts place) that converts the two light signal/brake to a single signal/brake system.
denisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
renchhednot
AF Newbie

Re: Wiring harness issues-'91 Pathfinder

I bought a wire harness from etrailers that I plugged into my exsting taillight harness and I have working trailer lights now BUT... now when I have no lights on my running lights are on. Whats up with that?
renchhednot is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail