Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 04:30 AM   #1
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Viper 10

Can you explain to me all the different trims level of Viper? What makes them different? What was the pricing? What to look for buying used? What's the performance figure? Any recalls?
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 07:30 PM   #2
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af
As far as I know, there is a Viper RT/10, a GTS, ACR, a GT2, and there are a few cars that are a detuned Viper GTS-r, but are very rare. The RT/10 is a open top roadster. Im not sure of the price, but the RT/10 and GTS are about 70-80,000. They both have a 450 hp, 490 ft-lbs torque engine.The GT2 is to comenerate the first class win at lemans. i believe they are around 100,000 and has a 460 hp, 500 ft-lb torque. The ACR has the same engine numbers but is a GTS that is stripped of A/C and cd player. I believe they are around 90,000. The RT/10 is a roadster, the GTS and ACR are coupes that look almost the same, the GT2 is a coupe that is white with 2 blue strip and has a wing. Then there is the detuned GTS-R. They are very rare. I have seen a 98 version. Comes with stock viper interior, but has the same brakes, wheels and paint sceme that the Orcea has for that year. I believe there were only 2 made that year. They had 580 hp and i dont know how much torque. The cost of one is around 150,000 but im not sure. I know someone who oens one. I'll most likely get a ride in it. I will post pictures of it and learn more about it when i talk to him and when i get a ride in it.
Psman32@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 02:07 AM   #3
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Psman32@af
As far as I know, there is a Viper RT/10, a GTS, ACR, a GT2, and there are a few cars that are a detuned Viper GTS-r, but are very rare. The RT/10 is a open top roadster. Im not sure of the price, but the RT/10 and GTS are about 70-80,000. They both have a 450 hp, 490 ft-lbs torque engine.The GT2 is to comenerate the first class win at lemans. i believe they are around 100,000 and has a 460 hp, 500 ft-lb torque. The ACR has the same engine numbers but is a GTS that is stripped of A/C and cd player. I believe they are around 90,000. The RT/10 is a roadster, the GTS and ACR are coupes that look almost the same, the GT2 is a coupe that is white with 2 blue strip and has a wing. Then there is the detuned GTS-R. They are very rare. I have seen a 98 version. Comes with stock viper interior, but has the same brakes, wheels and paint sceme that the Orcea has for that year. I believe there were only 2 made that year. They had 580 hp and i dont know how much torque. The cost of one is around 150,000 but im not sure. I know someone who oens one. I'll most likely get a ride in it. I will post pictures of it and learn more about it when i talk to him and when i get a ride in it.
Ps:

You are all over the board with your explanation on trims and differences...

To start with there are the following trims available:
- The RT/10
- The GTS
- The GTS with the ACR option
- GT2 (there is no such thing as a detuned GTS-R).

The RT is a roadster at you stated. It was introduced in '92 with a 400 HP powerplant. It had no side windows, door handles or scocps or vents on the hood. Quality and drivability of the Gen 1 RT's were mediocre at best and they were notorious for being twitchy and heavy oversteer. In '94 the RT got door handles andthe power was bumped up to 415 HP. Throughout the life of the Gen 1 RT Vipers, side exhausts were standard. In '97 the RT was upgraded to Gen 2 specifications to match the GTS Coupe. Top speed on the RT's is about 170 mph. All other performance specs on the Gen 2 RT matched its GTS counetrpart. To date, there is only one RT with the ACR option in existance, and it was just recently raffled off by the VCA.

The GTS was introduced in '96. The chassis and suspension were completely re-worked and refined. Handling went from .96 G's with Gen 1 RT's to 1.03 with the GTS's. Exhaust was improved and routed out through the rear of the car to increase HP to 450. The top speed of a GTS is 192 mph. The ACR option was available in '99 and beyond and costs an additional $10k. It included smooth intake tubes, K&N air filters, rattling double adjustable Koni shocks, non-FIA legal 5 point safety harnesses and BBS 18" one-piece wheels (while the driving lights and the a/c were removed to save weight... most never removed the a/c). HP on ACR was increased from 450 to 460 HP because of the K&N's. ABS brakes were added in '00, which improved stopping distances and previously weak braking. The GT2 was offered in '99 asa commemorative limited edition Viper. 100 were produced and went for $100k and above.

Over the years after '96/'97 the cams were softened to take away the aggressive lope of early Gen 2's, and in '00 the forged TRW pistons were replaced with cast hypereutectic pistons. The result was that they were lighter in weight and fit better than the forged, but could not be used with any forced induction of NOS aftermarket improvements. These cars are affectionately referred to as "creampuffs".

There are no amenities on Vipers. Only recently did the Viper get electrically powered side view mirrors and ABS brakes. There are no cup holders, vanity mirrors, cruise control or traction control. If you are not committed to learning how to drive this vehicle via track schools, I would not recommend this car to you. If you use the little brain (situated below your waist) instead of your big one, I would not recommend this car for you. Go and buy a much more forgiving Corvette or Porsche, and you will live much longer.

F20,

As to your questions about recalls and service bulletins, go here

For prices go here .

You can find Gen 1 RT's in the low to mid $30k's, and GTS's as low as high $30k's to low 40k's with high mileage. On average GTS's will go in the $50k's. I fyou ever get serious on buying a Viper, make sure to have your local Dodge dealer Viper Tech do a thorough check on the background of the prospective car and to also find out if it has been wrecked.

I would also strongly recommend that you take a high performance driving school before and after you buy a Viper. Spend the money and rent one for a day, because you might find that this is not the car for you. It has more torque than any production car out there, and it is a very demanding car to drive. It demands your attention, your alertness, driving skills and respect. If you don't respect this car, it will eventually turn around and bite you (and hurt you).

I hope that this answers your questions. If you want to know the paint colors by year, go to the VCA site here.

Have a good holiday and be safe.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 12:32 AM   #4
UncleMeat777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to UncleMeat777 Send a message via AIM to UncleMeat777 Send a message via Yahoo to UncleMeat777
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10
There are no cup holders, vanity mirrors, cruise control or traction control.
Pardon me, but the 2003 is expected to have a single cup holder... haha

Click here for my site and 1:24 car pics!
UncleMeat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 01:33 AM   #5
jeffrey
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to jeffrey Send a message via AIM to jeffrey
:hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:

Old 01-05-2002, 11:24 PM   #6
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by UncleMeat777

Pardon me, but the 2003 is expected to have a single cup holder... haha
You forgotthe lipstick and tampon holders...

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 07:35 PM   #7
a007apl
Banned

DODGE VIPER RT-10

" For European sportscar enthusiasts, the Viper is a bit of a curious beast. Fast, powerful in a brilliantly crude manner, but oh so big. Outside of the wide boulevards of America, the Dodge Viper is just too big to contend with the narrow highways and byways of Europe, particularly the UK.

It's a shame, as the basic ingredients of the car would appeal to any sportscar fan. Structural simplicity coupled with cubic inches is always going to be an entertaining formula even if not the best dynamic experience available.

500/500/500

DaimlerChrysler unveiled the latest incarnation of the Viper in Detroit last week. Not destined to hit the highways until 2003, the Viper RT-10 is more extreme than ever. It's new claim to fame is that it's the only car in the world with more than 500bhp, 500 lb-ft of torque and 500 cubic inches (that's 8.3 litres in new money!).

"When we introduced the first Viper, we set the principles that would forever define the car - obscene performance, outrageous design and ultimate driver enjoyment," said Jim Julow, Vice President of the 'Dodge Global Brand Center'. "With this next chapter, we've stayed true to those principles in creating the next version of the ultimate American sports car."

"When you want to increase the capability of a high-performance car, there are three basic areas you can change: increase the power, reduce the weight or improve handling," said Larry Lyons, Vice President, Small Car Platform Engineering, DaimlerChrysler. "For the new Viper, we did all three."

Race Derived Interior

The interior has also received a working over, with many cues from the race cars. There's a new, busy instrument panel with centre-mounted rev-counter and a 220 mile-per-hour speedometer (apparently giving a clue as to the production car's top-speed potential). A push-button starter rounds off the race-car theme.

True Convertible

The roof arrangement has also been revised with a "bi-fold clam shell top with single center latch" which is nice. It has lost the large rear roll-over hoop though, as used on the original car, making this a true convertible.

The first cars will roll off the production line in time for August 2002, but will be designated as 2003 model year Vipers.

PistonHeads Verdict

For: 8.3 litre V10 is pleasantly politically-incorrect.
500bhp good for 'safer overtaking'

Against: Similarities with a barge. Never mind a Momo, get a ship's wheel fitted."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3527.jpg (7.5 KB, 140 views)
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote