Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
nuclear_assault
AF Newbie

96 trooper hesitates and chokes up while accelerating, aweful burning smell

When I drove my Trooper the other day it started making an aweful burning plastic smell. When I turned it off I heard a loud buzzing noise coming from the center console. When I started it up again it hesitated every time I tried accelerating. When I got on the highway I had trouble getting up to and over 60 at times, and other times it would get up to 80 no problem, but then it would slow back down again and start choking up. The burning smell came back when I was on the highway too.

I got home and shut it off, and a few hours later when I started it again, there was a very odd noise coming from my engine. It's a very hard noise to describe. It also still chokes up and jerks around.

I don't know what the problem could be whatsoever.
nuclear_assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 trooper hesitates and chokes up while accelerating, aweful burning smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear_assault
When I drove my Trooper the other day it started making an aweful burning plastic smell. When I turned it off I heard a loud buzzing noise coming from the center console. When I started it up again it hesitated every time I tried accelerating. When I got on the highway I had trouble getting up to and over 60 at times, and other times it would get up to 80 no problem, but then it would slow back down again and start choking up. The burning smell came back when I was on the highway too.

I got home and shut it off, and a few hours later when I started it again, there was a very odd noise coming from my engine. It's a very hard noise to describe. It also still chokes up and jerks around.

I don't know what the problem could be whatsoever.
sounds like you got a short and fried some wires. and then you continued to drive it without finding the problem and fried the computer.
that's the worse case scenario i suppose. maybe you got lucky and it's not all that bad. if you can't describe the noise(s), there's not much to go on.

you can just start doing some investigating around the wiring looms, looking for obvious damage(s).

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
nuclear_assault
AF Newbie

well the noise is coming from the timing belt........so it's probably fucked......and im pretty sure thats where the smell was coming from too
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear_assault
well the noise is coming from the timing belt........so it's probably ......and im pretty sure thats where the smell was coming from too
ah, so that would make sense. many times (especially if the water pump bearing freezes up) the timing belt will get akilter on the pulleys and start rubbing on the timing belt covers and actually slice them in two.
so you know you will want to replace the tbelt, timing belt tensioner, and water pump. and inspect the pulley bearings and replace if necessary.

but what about the smell from the console?

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
nuclear_assault
AF Newbie

there was only a buzzing noise coming from the console that sounded like something was shorting out

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard