Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
(namegoeshere)
AF Newbie

1980 camaro restoration

A few months back i purchase a nice 400 chevy engine from a newspaper add from an old lady who's son died and left it she only wanted 500 bucks not knowing what it really was i told her i would buy it but would feal bad paying so little so i gave her 1grand cash i took the engine straight to my garage checked out what neded to be replaced to my suprise nothing so i cleaned it up made it nice and shiny and then decided why not drop it into one of them camaro's in the back yard so i then "pulled" a 1980 camaro from my bback yard into the garage i began buffin up the car checkin frama etc. i then took a break and ate somthin while eating i looked at a poster on the wall for plastic surgery dont ask y it was up there it read "why not make things bigger and better" so i decided that this could work on my camaro i took the engine around to the workshop of my garage and began my work i took out pistons headers and everything about 3-4 weeks later i had built myself a nice 406 toped off with eldbrock headers i then put it into my camaro gave it a lil gas and felt that big engine then noticed the transmission a big problem i missed A REALLY BIG PROBLEM I MISSED the transmission was for the 4.0L that was in this car so i let the car sit under a tarp for 2 months until got tired of just looking at it i then purchased a 2001 camaro z28 hat had been totaled and sold for parts i took the trans and put it in my 1980 z28it ran great looked like shit but ran good before selling it i decided to take it to the drags i got theere raced 1 ricer before it died i took it back home looked over then engine and everything not knowing why it died when i would hit 4th gear then my 10 year old brother walked into the garage asking why i was so mad and i told him my problem then he said "DID YOU SET THE GEAR RATIO'S?" then i relized i didn't i tried to but im having a very hard time any GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO?
(namegoeshere) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 1980 camaro restoration

Could you be a little more specific? What is "setting gear ratios", besides replacing them?

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

Re: 1980 camaro restoration

Gear ratio's in the trans? or rear end? as in lash? and what u mean "died" did it quit or just fall on its face when u hit 4th gear? we need a bit more info to be of any assistance.

Thanx
Brett B.
Bad81bu is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical