Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > SLR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:02 PM   #16
jackmex02
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmartens
Also, anyone heard on the rumor of the new SL body, due 2005 to mimic the SLR? might be another thread...
Yes thats right.I have seen today the new SL 65 AMG V8 Kompressor on the Road in Munich.the new Model has the same nose as the SLR or the new SLK.
jackmex02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM   #17
Silver_M333
AF Newbie

Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

You mean the SL 65 with a V12 Twin Turbo right?
Silver_M333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #18
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

The slr is 10x better for many reasons 1 is that the body is made entirely of Carbon fiber 2 the slr has more power 3 it has way better aerodynamics then a sl 65. I ve been fortunate enough to sit in both these amazing cars. The dealership by me rallye motors has the first SLR ever made. I will be posting brand new pics of the slr very soon. If any1 is interest heres the dealerships site.
www.rallye.com
(they also carry maybachs)
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #19
Silver_M333
AF Newbie

Don't forget about 3 times more expensive too!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #20
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

Silver_M333]Don't forget about 3 times more expensive too!!!

Lol true very true!!
" ~ Igor
Old 04-17-2004, 06:49 AM   #21
Carrera GT
AF Newbie

Some pics (not taken by me) of the SL65 AMG here
Old 04-17-2004, 10:15 AM   #22
TheScientist
Banned

Re: Re: SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx_effect
Can u imagine Brabus playing around with an SLR? I think the result would be interesting....... quite interesting indeed.
How about Lorinser? jeeze, 21 inchers on the SLR.
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:40 AM   #23
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

SLR vs. SL 65 AMG?

I'd prefer if kleemann did something with the Slr or sl 65 amg Kleemann has a nice style to it.
" ~ Igor
Old 05-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #24
Cockrocket
AF Enthusiast

these cars cant even be compared. The SLR, is an amazing Super-Sports car while the SL65 AMG is just a high powered saloon type car. While the BHP is close within 10 give or take, i doubt the SL65 will have the low weight, extremem handling and amazing brakes. To put the SLR in perspective top gear tested the Zonda and the Koenigsegg around their test track, same condiditions with the same race driver and both clocked in at around 1:23:xxx (remember these are out and out sports cars, no comprimises, and the enzo is about the same round the track as these 2). Then the SLR, clocked a tme of 1:20:xxx. 3 seconds faster which is stupidly fast!!..At the moent no car compares to this as it is amazingly fast round a track in a straight line, very well refined, and eve has a good sized boot. This car is amazing!!
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #25
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockrocket
these cars cant even be compared. The SLR, is an amazing Super-Sports car while the SL65 AMG is just a high powered saloon type car. While the BHP is close within 10 give or take, i doubt the SL65 will have the low weight, extremem handling and amazing brakes. To put the SLR in perspective top gear tested the Zonda and the Koenigsegg around their test track, same condiditions with the same race driver and both clocked in at around 1:23:xxx (remember these are out and out sports cars, no comprimises, and the enzo is about the same round the track as these 2). Then the SLR, clocked a tme of 1:20:xxx. 3 seconds faster which is stupidly fast!!..At the moent no car compares to this as it is amazingly fast round a track in a straight line, very well refined, and eve has a good sized boot. This car is amazing!!
true very true but the real difference is because the slr is mostly c.f. 300 pound weight diff!
" ~ Igor
Old 05-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #26
ell_d
Banned

I work very closely with MB ad have got an SL65, and i have to say that the performance is astonishing. I thought that the SL would be more of a GT car than an out an out performance car, but it manages to do both with ease.
Last week, I drove the 3rd ever SLR to be produced. I imagined it to be more of super car, but it is actually quite luxuriouse. However, the two cars should not be compared.
Even though the SLR only has a 5.5 V8, this is the more flexible engine than the V12.
If you look at MB's new line up, the 5.5 is going to be put in the C class and the SLK, but these will only produce around 350bhp, whereas the SLR produces nearly twice that. There is potential to squeze a bit more from the 5.5, but the V12 was chosen for the new AMG venture because of its smoothness.
I have however just watched the new Porsche Carrara GT out perform the Enzo and SLR, and am trying to get my hands on one...
ell_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #27
Silver_M333
AF Newbie

You have DRIVEN the SLRand have an SL65??? I think you are turning everyone green with envy!!! I know the SLR is a limited production super car but the SL 600 already has such incredible acceleration. I was just wondering how the SL65 power would be compared to the SLR's.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #28
ell_d
Banned

Theres not much in the initial acceloraton. The tourq of the 65 will pull it to 45mph faster than the SLR, but when that Kompressor kicks in, your rocketed towards the horizon like nobody's business leaving the 65 to sort out its turbo lag, and haul its mas weight behind it. And, wheras the SL65 stops accelorating at a pathetic 155mph, due to its "keep the green party and the grannys happy" speed limiter, the SLR just carries on this vendetor of speed. Needless to say, my nerve and the tarmac ran out before the potential of the car did.

Theres not many cars that could make my new baby feel slow, but the SLR sure managed it. I am now looking to purchase.

I cant remember a time since the release of the F40 that i have been that astonished with a car. It is the best. the Enzo may be faster, but its ugly when you park an SLR ext to it, and it just dosnt feel as special.

SLR... soul defining!
ell_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:53 AM   #29
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

You wana know the answer to this thread?

Sorry mods but this had to be shown! Just for you guys!

http://www.exotixboard.com/showthread.php?t=1952

Have fun
" ~ Igor
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #30
D14D
AF Newbie

Detuned the SL65 AMG will take the SLR at 215 for the AMG and 207.5 for the SLR!

NEVER FORGET 09.11.01!
D14D is offline   Reply With Quote