Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
70elko
AF Newbie

mechanical fuel pump

is there a way to run a mechanical fuel pump on a late model chevy 350 motor, (1990). the reason im asking is i took off that fuel pump block off plate and there is no rod inside to operate the mechanical fuel pump.is there a way i could go and buy that rod or if not suggestions on a electrical pump pros and cons also if you could..thanks
70elko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
70elko
AF Newbie

Re: mechanical fuel pump

also with a electric fuel pump when you step on the gas petal does the carberator take care of adding the fuel to the engine while maintaining the same fuel preassure to increase rpm or do i have to regulate it some how
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

What engine is this a carbed 90 350? Oe is tbi, was this engine converted from tbi to carb, info is missing here.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
70elko
AF Newbie

i have a motor from a 1990 chevy c2500 5.7L that i want to save and convert into a cheap fix up motor
Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

IMO the EFI motor may not have the appropriate eccentric on the camshaft, so even if you do get the pushrod up there, there may be nothing to push it.

So I presume you will use a carb, right?
I would suggest getting one of those external plunger type electric fuel pumps. (They look a lot like an old-style ignition coil).

They are very easy to hook up and put out about 5 psi; just right for a carb.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
70elko
AF Newbie

ya i kinda figuered it was like that for a reason. it is a little tricky to make sure i match parts with a old car and a 1990 model chevy motor like the standard hei distributor wont clear the fire wall it is to big is the only way to make it work by getting a smaller distributor? they are so cheap at summit and the one they recomended was 275.00. does anyone know if you get stock heads ported is it expensive
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I had the same distributor clearance problem (GM HEI style) in my '81 Caddy when I dropped in an Olds 455.
I used an old points-style distributor (they are much smaller than the HEI unit) with an aftermarket electronic ignition upgrade and it worked fine.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
70elko
AF Newbie

i think that would probably be my best choice was the one you found expensive
Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
peter2008
Banned

A fuel pump is a frequently (but not always) essential component on a car or other internal combustion engined device. Many engines (older motorcycle engines in particular) do not require any fuel pump at all, requiring only gravity to feed fuel from the fuel tank through a line or hose to the engine. But in non-gravity feed designs, fuel has to be pumped from the fuel tank to the engine and delivered under low pressure to the carburetor or under high pressure to the fuel injection system. Often, carbureted engines use low pressure mechanical pumps that are mounted outside the fuel tank, whereas fuel injected engines often use electric fuel pumps that are mounted inside the fuel tank (and some fuel injected engines have two fuel pumps: one low pressure/high volume supply pump in the tank and one high pressure/low volume pump on or near the engine).
__________________________________________________ ________________
(links removed by moderator)

Last edited by MagicRat; 10-15-2008 at 03:18 PM.
peter2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
buddieboy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70elko
is there a way to run a mechanical fuel pump on a late model chevy 350 motor, (1990). the reason im asking is i took off that fuel pump block off plate and there is no rod inside to operate the mechanical fuel pump.is there a way i could go and buy that rod or if not suggestions on a electrical pump pros and cons also if you could..thanks
Everyone intitled to thar opinion im suggesting going to a wrecking yard and getting a fuel pump for a subaru carbureted car it can be installed inline to your carb and will work for common use (not raceing) it will use like 5/16-3/8 fuel line and clamps and will cost about 20 dollars it has two wires just connect 1 of them to the switch throu a relay like 5 -10 amp rated then ground the outher wire! also you can find a pump cheaper just ask around over 50 dollars is way to much also some ford trucks with carburetors use external electric pumps for v-8 engines like 429 ci or 302 thes will work great and you might hook them up in a simular way
buddieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars