Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
bohemy
AF Newbie

instrument panel dimmer switch-Avenger96

Hi,
my dimmer is just burned out.Know somebody where can I find cheap replace part?I cannot find this part at salvage anywhere near Orlando right now.New one from dealer is expensive for trying if problem is in that switch or somewhere else.Is someone familiar with this problem?I'll be glad for any suggestion and answer.thx.
bohemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Did you check your instrument panel illumination fuse (with an ohm meter)? ...or are your instrument panel lights stuck on full brightness?
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
bohemy
AF Newbie

Re: instrument panel dimmer switch-Avenger96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManiac
Did you check your instrument panel illumination fuse (with an ohm meter)? ...or are your instrument panel lights stuck on full brightness?
How should I proceed?Where is this fuse-which one is it?I checked a fuse panel and everything looks fine-well I did not checked with ohm meter?Do you know what should ohm meter show?what number?So I don't have illuminated dashbord at all.
Thank you for your reply P.
bohemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Well, it's clear now that you have lost electric power somewhere between the battery and your instrument panel. And it sounds like you found the fuse box and tried looking at them.

Most fuse boxes have a guide that tells you what fuse protects what. This is usually printed inside the cover or labeled next to the individual fuse slots. The instrument panel light fuse should be a low amperage fuse. The one in my 1991 Dodge Shadow is rated at 4 amps. Once you locate the proper fuse, pull it out and look at the filiment. A blown fuse will have a melted or missing filiment. This will be obvious. But seeing an intact filiment doesn't necessarily mean that the fuse is good. Sometimes these filiments can crack without visual indication. That's why I suggest using an ohm-meter to check the continuity of a fuse that looks good. A measured resistance of "0" means it's good. A measured resistance of "infinity" means it's bad.

Once you have confirmed that the fuse is good, then you need to look at the other parts of the electrical system. The electrical power for your instrument panel lights runs through, of course, your dimmer switch. But is also flows through your headlight switch and many other connections in between. It's a good idea to get an electrical schematic to help you figure it out.
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger