Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
adstatus
AF Newbie

2002 Saturn SL1 Won't Start

Recently replaced spark plugs and wires on 02 SL1 with 209K miles. Was running rough, rough and high idle, almost died on me driving home one night. After replacing everything, car still wouldn't start. Spent some time on the forums and some suggested a leaking intake manifold gasket, so I changed that out as well as the coolant temperature sensor. Still it won't start. I am getting good spark at the plugs (coil arcs across the posts when plugs wires are off).

Really not sure where to go next with this. I can hear the fuel pump hum when I turn on the ignition, and I get a good spray at the fuel rail. Basically I turn the key and it cranks, sputters, and will almost catch, but then not.

What next?? Help!
adstatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: 2002 Saturn SL1 Won't Start

if your sure you have the plug wires on the right plugs might want to see of car has any error codes. if not may need to do stuff like fuel pressure test and compression test
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
adstatus
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Saturn SL1 Won't Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
if your sure you have the plug wires on the right plugs might want to see of car has any error codes. if not may need to do stuff like fuel pressure test and compression test
Yes, plug wires are in the right sequence with the coil terminals. That was the first thing I checked. No error codes on the OBDII, but I can't get it to run long enough for any info to get sent to the PCM to issue the codes.

I have a lengthy procedure from OldNuc on SaturnFans forum that includes putting a TSP of oil in the cylinders (assume for compression). I'm going to try that on Saturday with my fingers crossed and hopefully I'll be back up and running.

I'll post here with any results. FYI, following is the procedure posted on the other forum:

"
Verify plug wire routing is correct.
Ignition wire routing as seen when looking at the engine and coils from the front, hood open, your left to right.

Engine
1-2-3-4

4-1-2-3
coil towers

Connect the matching numbers with a plug wire.

Then follow this.
Once you experience a protracted failure to start there are several things that if done will markedly increase the probability of starting the car after verifying that you do have both spark and fuel.

1) remove PCM B fuse
2) place battery on a slow charger for 16 to 24 hours before the next start attempt
3) remove all plugs and place about a tablespoon full of engine oil in each cylinder and crank engine over 1 or 2 complete revolutions
4) install new plugs
5) install new wires
6) verify correct plug wire routing and dress, do not assume it is correct
7) replace PCM B fuse and turn key to RUN for 3 to 5 seconds but do not crank engine, then turn back off to lock position
8) wait 30 seconds
9) repeat #7 and #8
10) turn key to RUN, wait 3 seconds and continue to CRANK, only crank engine for about 5 seconds if it does not start, that will be ~21 revolutions of the engine

If the engine does not start after following these steps its time to start looking at other causes of not starting.

Verify the yellow security LED is NOT ON or the car will not start."
adstatus is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2002 , sl1 , start , won't
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW