Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
TDoge
AF Newbie

2000 Camry - 1st time 0XYGEN SENSOR REPLACEMENT

The family friend mechanic I've used isn't getting back to me, so I thought I'd see if replacing my 02 sensors is easy enough, and I feel like it is. However, I have some questions. First let me give some vehicle and problem descriptions:

Vehicle: 2000 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 (California Emissions)
Check Engine Light Codes: P1130 (History, Current, Confirmed, Pending); P1135 (History, Current, Confirmed, Pending); P1150 (History, Current, Confirmed)

I was told I need to replace my [Bank 1 Sensor 1] and [Bank 2 Sensor 2]. Let me know if anyone disagrees with that. The person who told me this is a family friend mechanic and has no motive to lie or upsell me, and looked at the engine himself (he just didn't have time to fix the problem).

Question 1: I'm looking to buy the right sensors. What part do I need? I'm looking at a CA emission Upstream Rear and a CA emission Upstream Front sensor at O'Reilly, but I don't know what the difference is.
I was under the impression that I need a sensor that is CA emission, 4-wire, non-universal, and upstream. I don't know enough about engines to know what front or back means pertaining to upstream sensors.

Question 2: Looking at my engine, the [Bank 2 Sensor 1] is really easy to identify and reach. I feel confident that I can work with this. However, the [Bank 1, Sensor 1] is more difficult. I was looking toward the back under the hood and I see a sensor deep down, but I don't think I'll be able to reach it. Is it normal to have to remove other engine parts to be able to get to/reach the [Bank 1 Sensor 1], or am I looking at the wrong sensor? Unfortunately, I don't have pictures. It's at the very rear of the engine/hood space and down quite a ways.

Question 3: Is it necessary to buy an oxygen sensor socket to do this part replacement?

Question 4: I'm a poor college student, and money is scarce. Would it be worth trying to replace just one oxygen sensor and then seeing if my check engine light goes away, or do both sensors definitely need to be replaced? And if so, which sensor would make sense to try replacing first? I was reading in other forums that people with multiple related codes should try changing one thing at a time to see if it affects the other codes.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I'd be happy to clarify or give additional info if it will help.

Last edited by TDoge; 01-16-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a question
TDoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 2000 Camry - 1st time 0XYGEN SENSOR REPLACEMENT

Call up a Toyota parts department and give them your VIN to get the correct part numbers. Take the Toyota part numbers and go to the DENSO web site and get the DENSO part number. Order the DENSO sensors. Amazon.com has them at great prices. Search on the Amazon web site using the DENSO part numbers. Only use DENSO sensors.

The front A/F Ratio sensor (Calif) is in front of the engine by the radiator (Bank 2, Sensor 1). The rear A/F Ratio sensor (Calif) is the one behind the engine under the firewall (Bank 1, Sensor 1).

The downstream HO2 sensor is Bank 1, Sensor 2.

You should not need any special tools to remove and replace the sensors.

Test the sensors before you replace them. The codes you listed all refer to A/F ratio sensors, so concentrate on the upstream sensors (Sensor 1)

Test the heaters of the A/F Ratio sensors (Banks 1 & 2, Sensor 1) by disconnecting the plug and check the resistance between the two terminals (B+ and HT, nearest the three-ridge side) leading to the sensor. The resistances should be 0.8 - 1.4 ohms at room temperature and 1.8 - 3.2 ohms at operating temperature. If you replace them, torque is 31 ft-lbs.

Test the heater circuit of the HO2 sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 2) the same way. Resistance should be 11 - 16 ohms at room temperature and 23 - 32 ohms at operating temperature. Torque is 32 ft-lbs. This sensor is accessed by removing the driver seat and carpet.

If you have no clue, replace one sensor at a time, easiest one first.

If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you a Field Service Manual for your vehicle.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
TDoge
AF Newbie

Thank you so much for your input. I hadn't thought about getting the exact part numbers from Toyota. And I'm all about great prices, so maybe I'll try Amazon; I've been wary of Amazon for car parts before from stories about knock-off parts from China being sneakily sold as the real deal. Any tips on avoiding that when buying parts online?

Also, at the risk of sounding even less experienced than before, what is the name of the device you mentioned using to test the heaters of the A/F Ratio sensors before replacing them? I doubt my garage has it lying around, so I might have to add it to my list of things to get, if you think it's necessary.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

The DENSO sensors I have bought from Amazon have all been the real deal. Look at the reputation of the seller if there is any doubt.

Any volt-ohm meter will do the job. They are heater circuits and not sensitive to testing.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Denso 234-9007 Bank 1, Sensor 1
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-900...denso+234-9007

Denso 234-9009 Bank 2, Sensor 1
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-900...denso+234-9009

Denso 234-4137 Bank 1, Sensor 2
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-413...denso+234-4137

I think these part numbers are correct. See:
http://densoautoparts.com/

(Don't get universal fit)

Although it is tempting to change the cheapest one first (Bank 1, Sensor 2), normally Bank 1, Sensor 2 throws a P0420 code, not the ones you are seeing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brian R. For This Useful Post:
TDoge (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
TDoge
AF Newbie

@Brian R.

Wow, those prices are excellent.

I'm a little apprehensive of replacing the Bank 2, Sensor 1 myself, so I called around to local auto repair shops and a place quoted me for $66 to do the replacement if I bring the part, so I might go through with them. I need to get all this done without any mistakes before my schooling starts back up, and I need my car to pass smog this year. So the engine light's gotta go.

I have another question, as I see the parts you linked don't say anything about whether they are California emissions or not. I was told by a guy a customer at O'Reilly who says he use to work exclusively on my make of car that I need to make sure that my parts are California emissions compliant since I have the sticker under my hood. Does the sensor have to be CA emission specifically? Or in other words, what's the story with CA emissions pertaining to oxygen sensors in my case?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

The DENSO website tells you if they are Calif. or not. The part numbers I gave you are all Calif. You should give a parts department your VIN and cross reference the Toyota part number with the DENSO part number on the DENSO website to be sure. I believe the numbers I gave you are correct.

Calif. emissions cars have different sensors and emissions equipment in many cases. I think that if your car is non-Calif, it would have HO2 sensors instead of Air/Fuel ratio sensors.

Note that Bank 2, Sensor 1 is the one in the front of the engine and should be easy to get to. Don't get the sensors mixed up. They are not interchangeable, owing to the wire configuration.

Last edited by Brian R.; 01-18-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
TDoge
AF Newbie

Oh, I must have missed it before. On the Amazon links you sent, above the item description off on it's own, it does say that it is CA emissions. Perfect.

I'm going to buy and replace the sensors one at a time, so I'm going to go with the bank 1, sensor 1 that you linked. Thank you, again!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoge View Post
Oh, I must have missed it before. On the Amazon links you sent, above the item description off on it's own, it does say that it is CA emissions. Perfect.

I'm going to buy and replace the sensors one at a time, so I'm going to go with the bank 1, sensor 1 that you linked. Thank you, again!
Some garages, if they have the appropriate tools, can diagnose your O2 sensor without replacing them one at a time. If they get the job they may not charge you for diagnosis.

You may try to go this route.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
0^2 , camry , oxygen , replacement , sensor
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista