Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #31
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

yea I have the exact same model.. not bad (better that really cheap one) They are in sell on ebay for about 10$. Just sad you paid 40$ for this when you can have badger airbrush for 50$.. well..

The paints are acrilyc. quite ok, but they all come flat. so you will need clear coat. I have made few car with it with good result (beside the first one)

Also, I think the kit come with aircan.. Mine didn't even last for 1 model. you need to have a compressor, or it will cost you more than spray paint.

The nozzle of my A370 died after 6 or 7 use.. DON'T USE ENAMEL OR LACQUER PAINT WITH THIS AIRBRUSH. you will melt the plastic nozzle when cleaning it with thinner. I learned it the hard way. only acrilyc or you will have to buy a 9.99$ nozzle every 2 or 3 time you use it.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #32
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ImolaEK
Re: Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
yea I have the exact same model.. not bad (better that really cheap one) They are in sell on ebay for about 10$. Just sad you paid 40$ for this when you can have badger airbrush for 50$.. well..

The paints are acrilyc. quite ok, but they all come flat. so you will need clear coat. I have made few car with it with good result (beside the first one)

Also, I think the kit come with aircan.. Mine didn't even last for 1 model. you need to have a compressor, or it will cost you more than spray paint.

The nozzle of my A370 died after 6 or 7 use.. DON'T USE ENAMEL OR LACQUER PAINT WITH THIS AIRBRUSH. you will melt the plastic nozzle when cleaning it with thinner. I learned it the hard way. only acrilyc or you will have to buy a 9.99$ nozzle every 2 or 3 time you use it.

10 dollars! Wow this has to be one of the stupidest buy i have ever done. I saw a Tamiya Badger airbrush in a shop for 30 also but it looked a bit old. But wow 10 dollars, too bad i threw all the boxes away.

I tested mine and it seemed good, i cleaned it with some Testors Airbrush Thinner afterwards. The nozzle sounds a bit weak. Do they sell different nozzles for this particular model?

I should've bought the Tamiya one
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
ImolaEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #33
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Ok, tomorrow morning i will try to return the Testors airbrush and buy the Tamiya one. Just one quick question, i bought the Testors Airbrush Thinner for Enamels...Could i use it to thin Tamiya bottled paints which i think are acrylics. Or should i get the tamiya thinner? What kind of thinner works best for tamiya paints?
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 09-25-2004, 09:36 AM   #34
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

no enamel thinner will not work with acrylic paint.

For Enamel, go to your hardware store, you will get a 4 gallon enamel thinner for about 3$. work well with testor enamel, humbrol and other. don't buy testor thinner, way too expensive for nothing.

For Lacquer, you can have a 1 Gallon thinner for about the same price. work nice with Modelmaster Metallizer and others.

For Tamiya.. Well I didn't found any subtitute for "mixing the paint" but for cleaning your airbrush, you can use Windex window cleaner.. work very great (be sure to use a mask, paper or respirator) cause the smell is terrific.

As for the Nozzle, there is 3 nozzle that "fit" the A370.. look in your instruction sheet, in the order parts. they are 9.99$ + 10$ of shipping (expensive imo)

at 40$ it's not a very bad deal becose you have lot of paint (at 1$ each, it make it a bit more worth it) but I wasn't impressed with this kit. I paid 59$Cnd more than 1 year ago.

If you want a good cheap airbrush, at your hardware store (home depot in my city or Reno-depo) there is a small campbell hausfeld airbrush, which is the same as a Badger. for about 36$

I got my Badger Anthem 155-7 for 51$ on ebay brand new and I'm in love with it (aztek look like a toy when you compare it). I started to love airbrush with the badger, not aztek
Old 09-25-2004, 10:27 AM   #35
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
no enamel thinner will not work with acrylic paint.

For Enamel, go to your hardware store, you will get a 4 gallon enamel thinner for about 3$. work well with testor enamel, humbrol and other. don't buy testor thinner, way too expensive for nothing.

For Lacquer, you can have a 1 Gallon thinner for about the same price. work nice with Modelmaster Metallizer and others.

For Tamiya.. Well I didn't found any subtitute for "mixing the paint" but for cleaning your airbrush, you can use Windex window cleaner.. work very great (be sure to use a mask, paper or respirator) cause the smell is terrific.

As for the Nozzle, there is 3 nozzle that "fit" the A370.. look in your instruction sheet, in the order parts. they are 9.99$ + 10$ of shipping (expensive imo)

at 40$ it's not a very bad deal becose you have lot of paint (at 1$ each, it make it a bit more worth it) but I wasn't impressed with this kit. I paid 59$Cnd more than 1 year ago.

If you want a good cheap airbrush, at your hardware store (home depot in my city or Reno-depo) there is a small campbell hausfeld airbrush, which is the same as a Badger. for about 36$

I got my Badger Anthem 155-7 for 51$ on ebay brand new and I'm in love with it (aztek look like a toy when you compare it). I started to love airbrush with the badger, not aztek
Ohh, So for Tamiya Acrylic's normal thinner will work good?

Thanks for all the information,

In the future i will like to own an Iwata Custom Micron, i heard they are good. With the price it has it should damn right be good
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 09-25-2004, 01:36 PM   #36
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Ok, i bought the Tamiya-Badger 250II. What do you guys think about this airbrush. Looks better to me than the testors one. Feels like an airbrush not like a plastic toy. How do i thin Tamiya Acrylic paints. I bought some Tamiya Acrylic Thinner. A little more paint than thinner?
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 09-25-2004, 02:02 PM   #37
Vric
AF Fanatic

What the hell is that ?!?!?! Never even seen this before (not by tamiya nor by Badger)

It's a single action external mix. the Aztek a370 was a dual action internal mix.. You didn't get better at all sorry (when you were talking about tamiya, I was sure you were talking about the real one made by iwata)

Are you sure a370 was the model you had before ?
it look like this: (didn't found any better picture)

this thing look like a toy, but at least it's a dual action internal mix !
Old 09-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #38
Vric
AF Fanatic

after few search, what you have there is a Badger model 250. it sell for less than 10$ on ebay and less than 23$ in store.

as for the tamiya thinning, about 1:1 for me work great, but since you have an external mix, you will have to try it yourself.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:36 PM   #39
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
after few search, what you have there is a Badger model 250. it sell for less than 10$ on ebay and less than 23$ in store.

as for the tamiya thinning, about 1:1 for me work great, but since you have an external mix, you will have to try it yourself.

ahhhhhhhhhh... and i cant return this one because it was at some hobby shop by my house and the last one left. and now that im working with it it doesnt feel all that great. shit!
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 09-25-2004, 02:51 PM   #40
StephenDeli
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to StephenDeli

Well over here is another anthem supporter. Vric sensed me into buying a badger anthem. It might have been the best piece of advice I have gotten. The brush is so nice and it sprays,cleans and feels very very nice. Im in love with it. For spraying thin lines the best I can get is 5 millimeters. so it isnt great for that but I figure when would you ever need anything smaller? it sprays crevices just fine so no problem. Best of all is the universal nozzle which you do not have do change for different spray widths.

I picked mine up at dixeart and got it in a week(live in chicago). I would definatly reccomend them.

As for thining paints, try to stick with the brand of paint your thinning. ie; Tamiya acrylics:Tamiya Thinner, Testors Enamel:Testors enamel thinner. I thin at a ratio of 2 parts paint 1 part thinner. I dont use pipets to measure just simply eyeball it. I have never tried Vric's 1:1 but with his advice im more than sure it works. I have sprayed tamiya acrylics unthinned with no problem though. (The main reason for thinning is to save paint). Hope this helps!

Current Projects- Ferrari F189 ON HOLD
Ferrari 360 Spider
Future Projects-04' Corvette Z06, Enzo, F1-2000
StephenDeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #41
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDeli
Well over here is another anthem supporter. Vric sensed me into buying a badger anthem. It might have been the best piece of advice I have gotten. The brush is so nice and it sprays,cleans and feels very very nice. Im in love with it. For spraying thin lines the best I can get is 5 millimeters. so it isnt great for that but I figure when would you ever need anything smaller? it sprays crevices just fine so no problem. Best of all is the universal nozzle which you do not have do change for different spray widths.

I picked mine up at dixeart and got it in a week(live in chicago). I would definatly reccomend them.

As for thining paints, try to stick with the brand of paint your thinning. ie; Tamiya acrylics:Tamiya Thinner, Testors Enamel:Testors enamel thinner. I thin at a ratio of 2 parts paint 1 part thinner. I dont use pipets to measure just simply eyeball it. I have never tried Vric's 1:1 but with his advice im more than sure it works. I have sprayed tamiya acrylics unthinned with no problem though. (The main reason for thinning is to save paint). Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice StephenDeli,

I just got back from the hobby shop and returned that Tamiya-Badger 250II. Thank god i received a full refund. My dad is now leaning towards buying me an Iwata

For the Custom Micron where is the best place to buy it at. I saw it at Pearl Paint for 367$ and that is quite expensive and i was looking to see if anyone knew a site that sells them cheaper. I want an airbrush for painting models, drawing, and painting on T-shirts. You guys tell me what i should get. By now i have given up on my own.
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 09-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #42
Vric
AF Fanatic

glad you like your anthem Steph.

For tamiya, I only tryed once yet. and I did about 1:1 (I go with the eye too) I use tamiya thinner to mix and Windex to clean the airbrush. I painted a computer case with x-11. worked very nice.

For Testor Enamel, I use 1:1 too. I use the enamel thinner from hardware store.. it's the exact same thing as testor.. no need to pay 4$ for 350ml when you can get 4 gallon for the same price.

So far, I like working with enamel more than Acrylic (only lacquer paint I have is Alclad and modelmaster Metallizer, love them too)

The best airbrush are Iwata (and tamiya), but I think Badger Anthem 155 is the best airbrush for the price.. everyone that tried it love it. Those are professional tools, not toys (and for 50$-70$, it's really not that expensive considering it will last many years)

So get a Badger Anthem (67$) or Badger 360 (94$) or a Iwata CR (59$+hose) or BCR (siphon or gravity..)(69$) (you can get cheaper on ebay) (badger come with more accessories than Anthem, so are a bit cheaper)

btw Stephen, at what PSI are you working ? I had best result at 7-15psi max.. quite strange since all the tutorial I have seen recommande 15-30psi (I was working at 25psi with my aztek, but the anthem simply feel more sensitive)

Last edited by Vric; 09-25-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:53 PM   #43
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

I think the Custom Micron is overkill. Why spend $350 on the Micron right now when you can get something like the Iwata HP-C thats been out for a while but is about $100-$120? Wait about a year, the CM-C will be about $200 instead of $350.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:19 PM   #44
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
I think the Custom Micron is overkill. Why spend $350 on the Micron right now when you can get something like the Iwata HP-C thats been out for a while but is about $100-$120? Wait about a year, the CM-C will be about $200 instead of $350.
Yea that makes sense. Maybe i will head towards the HP-BC2 for drawing and in the future buy an Anthem for my models. I also have to buy a compressor

Any suggestions on any compressors that are great for the price.

Thanks everyone!
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 09-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #45
Vric
AF Fanatic

wow.. you buy a 10$ airbrush and 2 hours laters, you have more money to put on a airbrush than I put on modelling in one year

as for a compressor, I have a 1.5Hp 2 Gallon 110psi that I found at hardware store (cost 99$) and I added a moisture trap (15$)

btw the logic would be to get an anthem before a Iwata (if you really want 2) once you get good with the badger, and IF you feel you need better, then you could look at a 140$ Iwata