Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
somejoshguy
AF Newbie

Help please 1990 excel...

My mom 1990 excel either wont start, or after a few minutes of running the car just shuts down. There is a buzzing sound coming from under the dash when its not working right, and sometimes its fine. Sometimes after it shut down if u let it sit it starts back up.We dont know how to fix it. Under the dash there is a ECU relay, or the engine control unit could eithe rof these be the problem?
somejoshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
giddymatt
AF Newbie

Re: Help please 1990 excel...

Just a few quick questions
1. Does it swing over when it stop?
2. Is it carburetor or fuel injector?
giddymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help please 1990 excel...

Its been over a year since the posting you responded to - so its likely their Hyundai is long since fixed, or even more likely discarded.
However, I have an 87 Excel in good shape body-wise, with the little Mikuni carb on the Mitsubishi motor. And I wish there was an (inexpensive) aftermarket replacement for that carb. I have about the same type of carb on the family's two 87 Dodge Caravans, and its the weakpoint of the entire vehicle if you ask me. I would get a 'rebuilt', but my experience with the Mikuni's is that another one will just have another annoying issue. And they are expensive. (I only paid $550 for the running Excel). Mine runs the car too lean at an idle, making it hard to start off decently from stoplights.
Mine is a 4 speed, and I bought it to get good mileage, thinking it would have a 5 speed. So.... I got a junkyard 5 speed tranny and plan to swap it for the 4 speed. I only get about 31 mpg in town (the suburbs), & havent taken it on long enough highway trips to learn its open road MPG. (It needs a clutch soon, so will get the clutch and the 5 speed as soon as my daughter has her baby and I get my other daughter's Saturn fixed for the annual safety inspection.
I wasnt able to find any 1st gen. Excels/Precis/etc. in the junkyards near me. Even at the Hyundai dealership the 4 salesmen all came out to the parking lot when I pulled up to the parts department. None of them had even seen a 1st gen. Excel that was still running. !! Luckily there is ebay, and junkyards from Newfoundland to Quartzite AZ are 'accessible' from my computer.

In 3 more years I will be able to put antique tags on the Excel, in VA, or in TX - where body rust isnt much of a problem.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel