Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
ibelta
AF Newbie

Corrosion on Battery terminal

Hello, I have what looks like corrosion powder (light blue color) on the on terminal of the battery. I have cleaned it several times, tighten the connector and it is coming again.
The battery acts as it is too low of capacity but sometimes it is fine
Any thoughts? should I replace battery?
ibelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Corrosion on Battery terminal

Two things I do, and never have that powdery corrosion problem:
With the battery cable disconnected from the battery, I always scrape the outside of the battery post, and the inside of the terminal, very lightly with a penknife or exacto knife. This knocks off the lead oxide that naturally forms on the lead surface, and lead oxide does not like to conduct electricity. To get rid of the powdery blue you have now, take the battery cable off and soak it in a cup with water and baking soda dissolved in it. Give it a good 30 minute soak, then rinse it off with water and let it dry.
Also, wash the top of the battery with water. It wont hurt anything, and will rinse away the dried electrolyte that always collects on the top of a battery from normal outgassing.

Incidentally - when you disconnect the battery, always start with the negative terminal. That way if your wrench comes in contact with some metal of the car - there wont be any spark and no damage. Then when undoing the positive cable, the battery's negative end is already disconnected - so there wont be a spark and no damage will occur.

As to whether you need a new battery I cant say. If its more than 4 years old, it has pretty well paid for itself. If its more than 5 years old - then you are pushing your luck.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
ibelta
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3 View Post
With the battery cable disconnected from the battery, I always scrape the outside of the battery post, and the inside of the terminal, very lightly with a penknife or exacto knife. This knocks off the lead oxide that naturally forms on the lead surface, and lead oxide does not like to conduct electricity. To get rid of the powdery blue you have now, take the battery cable off and soak it in a cup with water and baking soda dissolved in it. Give it a good 30 minute soak, then rinse it off with water and let it dry.
Also, wash the top of the battery with water. It wont hurt anything, and will rinse away the dried electrolyte that always collects on the top of a battery from normal outgassing.

Incidentally - when you disconnect the battery, always start with the negative terminal. That way if your wrench comes in contact with some metal of the car - there wont be any spark and no damage. Then when undoing the positive cable, the battery's negative end is already disconnected - so there wont be a spark and no damage will occur.

As to whether you need a new battery I cant say. If its more than 4 years old, it has pretty well paid for itself. If its more than 5 years old - then you are pushing your luck.
Thank you
ibelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Also at the parts house you can find a variety of products that keep the corrosion from forming. They have a protective spray and some saturated felt washers that fit around each terminal. If you don't want to go that route some petroleum jelly smeared on the terminals works also.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
supra123
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3 View Post

Thanks for sharing this wonder tip.I would like to add to this there are sprays in the market which help to avoid the corrosion,i think this is the most easiest way.
supra123 is offline   Reply With Quote