Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Dennis60
AF Newbie

66 chevelle body work

my question still goes unanswered what is the proper procedure for dealing with bare metal prep and paint. Polyester primer/epoxy primer /etching primer whatzzzzzz-up with u painters u dont like to share knowledge.
Dennis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 66 chevelle body work

I do not think anyone is refusing to share, its possible that no one knows for sure

What I recommend is to choose a paint system first. Do you want acrylic enamel, catalyzed enamel, 2 part epoxy paint or what?
The more you spend, the more durable the results. But the 2 part catalyzed systems are very toxic and can injure/kill you if you do not know what you are doing.
Once you choose a system, use the filler, primers, base coat and clear coat that all are from the same manufacturer and are recommended for use with the paint type you have chosen. Paints from different manufacturers may not be compatible and may cause problems.
Next, follow the manufacturers recommendations step by step. some systems use etching primer, some don't.
Finally, did the metal surfaces actually have rust on them? Even if it looks as if all the rust is removed, wipe the bare metal with a rust remover/converter before applying a primer.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Groundupautosports
AF Newbie

Re: 66 chevelle body work

Apply Epoxy primer over clean bare metal then apply a good 2k urethane primer over the epoxy within 2 hours.
Groundupautosports is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars