Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
eagleesi1953
AF Newbie

Clunking banging in the front suspension

1997 Eagle Talon ESI 110,000 miles. When driving slowly over small bumps in the road, I hear a banging on the passenger side floor. It has new lateral arms (ball joints) lower, uppers are tight, new struts. Everything appears tight when inspected. Exhaust system is tight, inspected the sway bar and end links and appear tight but they are my last resort. I will swap them out unless you guys think I am looking in the wrong area.
The sound it makes is clunk,clunk.
Tightened cross member nuts
Checked engine mounts for cracks
New Struts and strut towers
Tie rod ends are tight,no play.
Wheel bearings are tight, no play

I cannot reproduce the noise by pushing up and down on the passenger side.

Anyone experience this problem?
eagleesi1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: Clunking banging in the front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleesi1953 View Post
1997 Eagle Talon ESI 110,000 miles. When driving slowly over small bumps in the road, I hear a banging on the passenger side floor. It has new lateral arms (ball joints) lower, uppers are tight, new struts. Everything appears tight when inspected. Exhaust system is tight, inspected the sway bar and end links and appear tight but they are my last resort. I will swap them out unless you guys think I am looking in the wrong area.
The sound it makes is clunk,clunk.
Tightened cross member nuts
Checked engine mounts for cracks
New Struts and strut towers
Tie rod ends are tight,no play.
Wheel bearings are tight, no play

I cannot reproduce the noise by pushing up and down on the passenger side.

Anyone experience this problem?
I had issues a couple times in past cars with clunks. Had them with motor mounts, shocks, wheel bearings, random things bumping and power steering issues. Hard to diagnose. Best it to pick it up on jacks and pull on the wheels, up and down, and in & out. See if anything makes a sound.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
eagleesi1953
AF Newbie

David ,
Thank you for your response. I recently jacked up both sides and placed jack stands,moved tires 9:00 to 3:00 to check tie rods and cv joints. Checked the bearings,6:00
to 12:00 no play.Crowbar under both tires no play.Its a nagging problem which is hard to find. Originally I thought that the struts went, replaced them still clunking. I have gone as far as tightening crossmember, and the stays.
Cannot reproduce the clunk.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
eagleesi1953
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Clunking banging in the front suspension

Well after replacing end links,bushings,struts and mounts finally found the elusive clunking problem. On DSM vehicles, they have a lateral arm ball joint (the straight one) and a compression arm ball joint which is the curved one. On DSM's we all know there was a recall on the lateral arm of which the dealer replaced the front pair at 60,000 miles and then at 90,000 miles I replaced them again because of creeking sound coming from the front end.My findings to all of you that have the same issue, yes lift the car and put a crowbar under the wheel and lift up and down checking for play in the lateral arm joint, but you will not see play in the compression arm joint because if the lateral arm joint is in good shape and isn't loose it will prevent the movement of the compression arm joint. In order to check the compression arm joint lift the car up and remove the tire and put a wrench on the brake caliper bolts and try tightening them,and don't be afraid and apply some muscle, if the compression arm joint is loose and failing you will hear and feel the clunking noise.I replaced the compression are ball joint and no clunking noise any more.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Good info, I also have a pop/clunk in my front end. It only hear it when going over large holes or slamming 2nd after a 1st gear pull. I have pryed the hell out of the ball joints with no luck. I thinking mine is a bushing at this point. Everything has been changed in the front end except the bushings and ball joints
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
eagleesi1953
AF Newbie

When replacing the sway bar bushings the 19mm oems are to loose and will allow your sway bar to move. I measured the sway bar with a metric opened end wrench and found them to be 16mm. I ordered prothanes 16 mm and they fit nice and snug. I found out that DSM used sway bars from many suppliers and they aren't always the same diameter. To find your front end clunk I suggest going at it in this way. Lift each front tire off the ground Put a 4' 2 x 4 under the tire and pry up and release. If you have play it can be the lateral arm ball joint or your wheel bearings. If you have no play with your hand bang on the compression arm ball joint and listen for looseness. If you feel looseness remove the tire and put a box wrench on you brake caliper and try tightening them with some force. If the compression joint is loose you will see it move where it connects to the wheel hub. Also to check the upper joint you need and large pair of plyers and squeeze it together to see if theres any play. I found that a crowbar will not move the upper joint. Did you replace the end links on the sway bar?Did you pry on the tranny mount joint and motor mounts with a crowbar. You can also visually inspect them for cracks. My guess for you is that its one of the balljoints or one of the 3 mounts.
The Following User Says Thank You to eagleesi1953 For This Useful Post:
SilvrEclipse (09-17-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Thanks for the advise Ill be checking that out this weekend. All motor mount are poly so they are fine. I just put new endlinks on and a wheel bearing.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote