Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
es_class
AF Regular

sportsbike to a cruiser...need answers!!

Hey everyone...I finally moved out to florida and after riding my bike everywhere all day... I think I want to switch from my zx11 to an m109r. I really like the m109r a lot but I've never riden a crusier b4. Can u all tell me the pros and cons coming from a 98 zx11 to a cruiser like the 109r? From some pics I saw...it looks like on one decent turn I'm gonna be draggin my pegs on the floor. I really need to be comfortable and love the aggressive look of the 109r. I need some unbiased info though. I have enjoyed my zx11 but I can't take the ride anymore. My hands..neck...back...its just too much. I ride morn..noon..night. I go grocery shoppin on my bike and everything.I've already got the risers on my handlebars.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
es_class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: sportsbike to a cruiser...need answers!!

Well, if you're a canyon carver, a cruiser isn't for you, even a muscle cruiser like the M109R (very sharp bike btw), V-rod and others. If you're a stoplight to stoplight blaster, then you'll be fine. Cruisers are just that, cruisers. They are built for more laid back riding, not cutting apexes and scraping pegs. It sounds like your ZX has become uncomfortable for day to day, so you may need to sacrifice some cornering prowess for comfort. You're a big guy, so your choices are limited to bigger bikes to begin with. Something with pull back bars and forward controls may work for you,but be careful. If you get a bike that forces you to sit only one way, it will get more uncomfortable the longer you ride. My Honda Magna was that way. For up to 45 minutes, it was as comfortable as a V-4 La-Z-Boy, but after that your butt would start going numb because the seat made you sit in one position only. Being the owner of a Fatboy, I like the laid back ride and my bike fits my mission perfectly. My bike gets attention (usually the good kind), gets 50+ mpg and I can ride it all day, although it gets a little buzzy over 75 mph on the highway. I may go with a different final drive pulley set-up to drop cruising RPM a touch as the stock gearing is just a bit off for extended highway riding. I haven't heard any reviews on the M109R, but if it rides like it looks, it's a WINNER!!

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
es_class
AF Regular

Thanks ..I appreciate that. I've been researching and lusting over this bike for 2 yrs now. B4 that it was the honda vtx1800. So a cruiser was my original way to go but the ones I wanted didn't fit the budget so I went for the used zx11 which btw has been a great bike. My bike is my only source of transportation by choice (sounds stupid but I'm cool with it and my girl has 2 whips anyway). My studio is in my home so I have the luxury of staying in if have to. How can I determine if I will be forced to sit one way? I love that bike!! I guess I can sacrifice aggressive turning but is it that bad on a cruiser? Do u have to slow down a lot?I'm gonna try to see if I can test ride one of the 109r's. its gonna be a big change especially since my zx11 was my first bike and that's what I learned on.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
Old 03-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i think the ZX would be the most comfortable ride since its a sports cruiser.

nice and soft without being full on ass up on the wrists.

i'm 6 foot 4 and i liked the CBR100XX and the YZF1000 the best for comfy ride but they didn't have the track oomph i like.

I didn't know what a M109 was till you said it. our version is ugly! Down here its a BoulevardM109. i googled some pics and some very sweet rides came up, then i went to see if it was available here. so disappointed.

this, i like.
http://www.meancycles.com/images%5Ci...art_212819.jpg

this is what is available here....
http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/...?intBikeID=190
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Steel
AF Fanatic

Well we get the same ugly version as well. we have a second less ugly version, but i'm still not hot on them http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/M109R2K8

i think i'd still take the VTX1800C over the M109, unless they change the looks of the 109.

edit: or the F model as well
Old 03-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

The 109 is more agile than you would think from looking at it (for a cruiser) but any way you look at it, if you're used to aportbikes, it's gonna feel like pushing a barge. The torque will blow your mind, though...no downshifts to pass need here! Just roll on and GO!

Have you ever considered a Honda ST1300 or similar bike? Still has sportbike geometry and handling, but a better seating position and better utility, and fast as hell as well...the bars come up to meet you much more than a sport bike, with more leverage, the seating position is way more relaxed, etc...people I know who have had a lot of bikes say they never want to stop riding it, it's very comfortable and tame on the highway, but rips like a sportbike in the hairpins...V4 smooth and better torque than I4 motors....

Check one out before you make up your mind for good...

If I could buy a brand new bike, I think it would be this or a Yamaha FJR1300E...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

If you are dead set on cruisers, and like the 109, take a look/ride the Victory Hammer and compare...I rode one of these bad boys last summer for a test ride, it's got big ol' balls also...110 mph in 5th and still pulling hard, didn't even want to know what 6th was gonna show me ...

I found the riding position too splayed out for me though, I have short arms and legs...when I flogged it I felt like at any second I could come off the forwards and be flapping in the breeze by the handlebars...but a guy you're size would fit it perfect...be careful, that 250 rear makes it a handful in parking lot manuevers until you get used to it.

...empty gun rack.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
es_class
AF Regular

Damn...thanks guys. I would normally be more confused than b4 with all ur great input but....being 6'3 315lbs... I just love that big aggressive look. The m109r is an amazing bike and pictures don't do it enough justice. But as I said b4 I was stuck on the vtx1800 and still like that too. That victory hammer is nice! So r the honda and yamaha. I know that zx11 has been way more comfy than the average sportsbike. From the pics I see the honda and yamaha appear to have higher handlebars set further back over the tank. This is gonna be an interesting quest. I'm gonna look into each one u all recomended and see what I'm gonna do. Will keep u posted. Thanks again.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11

Last edited by es_class; 03-09-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Steel
AF Fanatic

VTX1300? pfft. Get the 1800. Its motor is just as big as the 109's, but not nearly as ugly.....imo
Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

The 109 is definitely a tough looking chunk of bike...it has some "love it or hate it" styling cues that I don't care for (what's up with that headlight?)...but overall I like it...

This one belongs to a member of another forum I frequent...Grant (Gradona) would be glad to tell you all about these bikes I'm sure...his is sweet beyond belief...

...empty gun rack.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

The ST is an INCREDIBLY comfortable bike, and still handles damn well (if I do say so myself). My dad only had a 1300 (the 1800 at the time had overheating problems he wanted to avoid) but it was a great 3-season bike b/c of all the protection from the elements.

I can't say much for cruisers, as the only one I've ridden is my dad's Boulevard C50T, so I'm pretty much worthless on that topic. Sorry!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

A few years ago I had a Suzuki VS800 Intruder...those and the 1400 (now S50 and S83 Boulevard) have a big thick chrome bracket that runs from peg to peg, all the way under the frame...and it's the first thing to touch down when you get over too far...which is alarming and dangerous, usually you want something soft like a hinged peg to touch down first...

Anyway, when that thing hits the ground, it works like a lever and tries to lift one wheel off the ground, depending on how the suspension is loaded at that moment...very dicey situation...

So the second day I had it, I dove for a highway entrance ramp that was a soft right turn, really barreled into it at about 40 mph, and GGGRRRAATTTCH...that thing dug in and the rear wheel stepped out about a foot sideways... I was lucky enough to put just the right countersteer into it and nailed the throttle to let it spin a bit rather than catch and try to stand up suddenly and give me the MotoGP highside toss...I was very lucky to get a semi-controlled recovery out of it...powerslides on dry concrete are NOT part of my typical bag of tricks, but that time it worked out ok...

Then I had to go home and remove the seat from my ass....

...empty gun rack.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker

Then I had to go home and remove the shyte from my ass....
Fixed it for ya.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
es_class
AF Regular

Sorry that was a typo....I meant vtx1800 as u can see from the original post. Pardonaymuah.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
es_class
AF Regular

They have one with a smaller headlight but to be honest, that's what I like about the bike. That headlight is part of that aggresive look. I'm serious guys...the pics dont do anything for the bike. Uve got 2 see it in person.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes