Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
eclipser2001
AF Regular

Whats wrong with riding a Kawasaki

Why do some people knock on Kawasaki sportbikes. I hear them talk shit like their GP or AMA racers or motorcycle testers. They think they know what their talking about, all they know is what they heard from others or what they read in a magazine. So what if I didn't want a GSXR like everyone else. I don't hate Suzuki, I just didn't want a bike I see everyone else ride. And so what if it's a 600. They think there better because they ride a Gixxer-grand. They have the power but they can't use it.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
eclipser2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: Whats wrong with riding a Kawasaki

Looks like you've had your first encounter of the squid-kind.

Very sorry you had to meet one of "those".

There's nothing wrong with riding a Kwak. People are ridiculous about brand loyalty and bike size... but any REAL rider can tell you that it's not size but rider skill that really makes a bike good/great. Best thing you can do is avoid squids like the plague and try to find some "real" riders that you can spend your time with.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

^^nothing, as long as your friends don't see you^^

Just kidding. As Speed said, it all comes down to brand loyalty and what you want. Every manufacturer out there makes a great 600cc class bike, it's all up to ergonomics, styling and price. I've always preferred Honda's over the other Japanese bikes myself, (it's all I had owned prior to getting my Harley Fatboy), but I won't knock the others. I've ridden the Kawi ZX-11, and was very impressed with it's straight line performance and comfort. It was no canyon carver, but I don't believe that was Kawi's intention for it. The 600 class bikes are too twitchy for me, they don't fit my riding style for an every day bike. A friend of mine and I trade occasionally when he wants to cruise, and I feel like something different (he has a ZX6-r) and I enjoy riding it. I look funny on it with a skull cap and Harley jacket, but I don't care. He looks even more rediculous on my Fatboy with green leathers and a full face, .

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Kaw's performance bikes tend to be heaviest in class, with less effective braking and slightly less responsive handling, judging from the data I've read.

That being said, you are talking about differences that only a near-pro level rider could detect or exploit, and Kaws also tend to have more HP and torque than others in class. So the possibilities for having a superior machine after some suspension tweaks and weight shaving are good.

Suzuki GSXR's are generallly considered the best "straight out of the box" performance tools...but some thoughtful mods even the playing field quickly...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

People that put others down for what they ride go to a very special place in hell.

They will either have their choice of riding a 250 Rebel with one fouled plug on an endless stretch of featureless straight highway, or a 500 hp BossHoss on endless decreasing radius switchbacks tight enough to need a hinge in the middle of the frame

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Jeff, your idea of Hell scares me!

Truly, I know where you are... I've been in that spot where I let people get to me because of what I rode. It was mostly because I hated what I rode, and being a girl, blah blah blah, I took it to heart. Now that I am "out" of the scene I can get a clearer view of things and see that everyone else can sit on it and spin. The next bike I get will be what I want, and screw them if they don't like it.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

people are stupid, nothing's wrong with kawi. i get shit all the time too cuz my friends mostly ride yami's and suzuki's, which are squid magnets. not that there's anything wrong with either bike, squids just love 'em. i honestly think a lot of kids buy those bikes cuz it's cool to say i ride a "gixxer-something something" or "i ride an R-whatever". it's all good though, kawi's tend to stand out among all the other bikes out there, prolly cuz people aren't used to seeing 'em.
people who are die hard brand loyal are silly to me. i bought my bike cuz at the time i felt it was the best bike available in the 600 class, it had a slipper clutch, wave style front brake rotors, and a 37cc bigger motor with more usable hp and tq. if i were to get a brand new 600 now it'd be a CBR, because i feel it is currently the best available package in the 600 class and no other reason. just do your thing, let the squids hate and show 'em that kawi's are just fine machines.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

how about the stigma attached to the CBR 954. always last in the top 4 tests. when guys ask what i ride, i say a fireblade, then the model. straight away the comment is "why didn't you get the Gixer, ZX10R or R1?"

Back on kawa's, personally i don't like the current style or the color green. (love the titanium though) if the front end looked better, i'd be interested.

when i bought my '96 gixer, the ZX7 was no match. a buddy bought one and although they looked almost identical, so different to ride.

when i bought my 03 blade, the ZX9 was the same price but again, no comparison. looking at the dials on an 03 model ZX was the same as the 96 ZX. it was too heavy and unresponsive compared to the blade. nice in orange though.

I'm not sure of the stereotypes over there, but here, when you see a normal rider (jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet as opposed to full leathers), people think R1-liked the looks, Gixer-wants to be known as a gixer rider, Blade-couldn't afford the gixer/r1 and the ZX10-dude with balls!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Strict70
AF Newbie

Kawi=Junk
Strict70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strict70
Kawi=Junk

wow. short and to the point. you got us there! no comeback to that one.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
Steel
AF Fanatic

I always thought they had ugly colors, that's about it.

Im an SV rider, so i'm a strange breed
Old 12-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i like how they have single color schemes. all the others have multi colors
Yamaha- red/white, black/blue, that weird Rossi shit
Honda -red/black, yellow/black, blue/black
Gixer - red/white/blue, yellow/black, red/black
Old 12-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
how about the stigma attached to the CBR 954. always last in the top 4 tests. when guys ask what i ride, i say a fireblade, then the model. straight away the comment is "why didn't you get the Gixer, ZX10R or R1?"

My answer to that would be "because they aren't hondas... )

Anyway though I have always had a soft spot for CBR's. My brand loyalty was always lurking but after I bought my integra I was a honda guy, I didn't even really look anywhere but honda when it came time to buy a bike.

I think gsx-r's are very sexy looking buuuut I have had poor experiences with their 4-wheelers so I shyed away from suzuki abit.

I can however appreciate yamaha as a brand because I love all my yamaha 4-wheelers, in fact as of right now I will never buy anything other than a yamaha 4-wheeler. They have been that good to me compared to suzuki. But I think they're bikes are a little too edgy looking, I feel like I might put an eye out on the plastics or something.

And as far as kawasaki is concerned, well I appreciate their styling, not too overdone like yamaha but not quite as sexy as suzuki. I really dislike the idea of my bike being called a ninja though... kinda lame if you ask me, slightly umm shall we say flambouyant? haha j/k. Anyway my point is that the kawasaki just doesn't stand out in my mind in any category when I look at bikes.

However... I can't say that I would ever ever look down upon another rider for considering one or purchasing one. When it comes down to it on the street a bike is a bike. On the street they are all fast and I think ultimately more a choice of style and not speed/handleing/etc.

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

Quote:
Kawi=Junk
wow, good point. i never thought of it that way. i guess you're right...retard.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj

Quote:
Kawi=Junk

Any reasoning behind this statement???

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes