Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to kenwood guy
cost benefit of a salvage title and another Q for you

I notice that a bike with a salvage title is alot cheaper would it be worth getting one?? by the way I was thinking that if I dont have motorcycle insurence but have auto insurence and get into an accdent with my bike and dont file a police report I can clame that my truck was involved in the accdent just so I can at least pay for the other persons damage would that work????
kenwood guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: cost benefit of a salvage title and another Q for you

A salvage title means the bike was damage so severely, that the damage exceeded it's worth. Salvage title bikes can have damage not easily seen by the naked eye, including bent frames, cracked cases, bent wheels, etc... that repairing would cost a lot of money. I don't believe it's a good idea to buy one, unless you've seen extensive pictures of the damage before repairs, have the mechanical ability to fix it, and/or buy it as a parts bike.

As far as insurance, your truck insurance will not cover a bike accident. Leaving the scene of an accident and filing a false accident report are against the law, and will land you in jail. Unless you have a horrible driving record, bike insurance is not tht expensive, so don't try it. The savings aren't worth the risks.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
A salvage title means the bike was damage so severely, that the damage exceeded it's worth. Salvage title bikes can have damage not easily seen by the naked eye, including bent frames, cracked cases, bent wheels, etc... that repairing would cost a lot of money. I don't believe it's a good idea to buy one, unless you've seen extensive pictures of the damage before repairs, have the mechanical ability to fix it, and/or buy it as a parts bike.

As far as insurance, your truck insurance will not cover a bike accident. Leaving the scene of an accident and filing a false accident report are against the law, and will land you in jail. Unless you have a horrible driving record, bike insurance is not tht expensive, so don't try it. The savings aren't worth the risks.
+15000000

That's a no effing way on both accounts!!!!!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rubix777

I wouldn't get a salvage anything. You don't necessarily know how badly it was damaged and during the repairs, they may have missed some spots putting you in danger when you're going freeway speeds.

The next step up is buying a nice used bike that the previous owner essentially pampered it or kept it in the garage. If they say so, you might want to check out their tune up records. I'd also take a stock one over an aftermarket-modded one--I believe those people keep in mind resale value.

I'd find someone that's selling for reason's other than getting rid of it so they can buy another one--who knows if they were done abusing that one and is planning to buy another one to abuse.

You can always have a skilled mechanic check it out and use that for a reason to buy it cheaper.

If you plan to keep it for the long term, I'd opt for brand new.

2007 Ninja 650R
2002 Eclipse GS
rubix777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix777
I I'd also take a stock one over an aftermarket-modded one--I believe those people keep in mind resale value.

I'd find someone that's selling for reason's other than getting rid of it so they can buy another one--who knows if they were done abusing that one and is planning to buy another one to abuse.
my bike is ultra low k's, full service history, never wheelied (on purpose for stunting) and its modded. all i see it is that i've done the exact thing Honda should do. upgrade the ECU, exhaust, filter, oggy knobs, taller screen and tank protector.

i'd look for a modded one with OEM parts still available. even a stock bike can be abused by someone who doesn't know bikes and is unaware of how to look after them. modded doesn't always equal thrashed.

if i were to sell now it would be to buy a new bike. bikes seem to go for their highest price versus age at 4 years old. old enough to depreciate in value but not quite deteriorate.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Not to mention the process for getting a useable title for a salvage vehicle is usually exhaustive.

Here it requires some paperwork you have to pay $25 at the DMV. You have to document what had to be done to make it a useable vehicle. Then a trip to the State Patrol for a complete intensive inspection, and you have to be able to produce receipts for all the major parts that were replaced. You have to pay for this inspection. Then it is assigned a new VIN number. This has to be stamped into the frame or have a stamped metal tag riveted or welded on. You have to pay for this unless you happen to own a metal stamping set and a riveter/welder.

Then the paperwork with the DMV begins...

In about 90 days if you're lucky, you get a clean title.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
goser
AF Regular

I was looking into a salvage bike a while ago... turns out my insurance company wouldn't have covered a 'rebuilt' bike, so you might want to check into that.
goser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood guy
I notice that a bike with a salvage title is alot cheaper would it be worth getting one?? by the way I was thinking that if I dont have motorcycle insurence but have auto insurence and get into an accdent with my bike and dont file a police report I can clame that my truck was involved in the accdent just so I can at least pay for the other persons damage would that work????
You can't be fucking serious?

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
rubix777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rubix777

insurance fraud?

2007 Ninja 650R
2002 Eclipse GS
rubix777 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes