Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Windshield spoiled

Damn, only been riding this Maxim for a few months. One of the few bikes I've had with a windshield. The other day one of the brackets broke, the other one broke a while back and I half-assed it back together.

So I decided it was time to take it off and make some proper brackets before they both let go and ended up letting this huge piece of plexiglass flip back and smack me in the mouth on the highway someday or something .

Fabbing some brackets with just the right angles and twists proved to be deceptively difficult, with what I have to work with anyways...so the windshield was off for about a week while I dealt with the problem.

Holy shit, have I become a pussy in a few months!

I rode the other day, got hit in the lip with a big rock off a dump truck's tires. Went through a cloud of bugs by the river. Got stuck in traffic behind a trash truck, with the little wisps of putrid liquid spraying on my face from time to time, got a headache from all the wind noise, and couldn't smoke although I tried and ended up burning my cheek when the wind rotated the cig back against it when I unclenched my teeth by accident....

Got home tired, dirty, pissed off and having nicotine withdrawls. How did I ever enjoy riding without some protection in front of me?

Seems I have gotten spoiled. That stuff used to be "part of the experience" and I made good-natured fun of guys who had to have a windshield on their ride.

Might as well face facts. I've become one of those fat, middle aged, comfort seeking riders. Guess I'll have to buy a Goldwing and move to Florida. I don't want to, but that's the law....

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
alfonso2501
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to alfonso2501
Re: Windshield spoiled

You don’t like full-face helmets?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

No...that would be the obvious solution I agree, but I really hate them...

...empty gun rack.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I hate riding without a windshield too, I don't know how guys do it. The wind beats your chest to death, gets under your glasses and makes your eyes water, and bugs fly up your nose and in your teeth. Riding with a full face helmet is like being in a fish bowl, without the fake plants and bubbles of course.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I like this FF so much, I'd probably even wear it. I don't know why the Icon rubatone helmets appeal to me so much....

But at $220, it ain't gonna happen...

...empty gun rack.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4

I don't have a windshield on either of the bikes - yet. I just enjoy riding without one and without a full helmet. Open air rules!

Of course that will change in the spring when the bugs come back - so thats why additional helmets on on order.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

I love windshields almost as much as I love my full face helmet. I love strapping on my helmet. It makes my head look HUUUUUUGE! Windshields are my friend when I'm tired of my giant-sized helmet-head bouncing around in the breeze.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

this time of year in Sydney, we are over run with bogon moths. they are large grey moths who are everywhere. usually in packs of 30-40 sitting on walls and at night it can be like a thin fog of bugs.

full face is the way to go.......
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
this time of year in Sydney, we are over run with bogon moths. they are large grey moths who are everywhere. usually in packs of 30-40 sitting on walls and at night it can be like a thin fog of bugs.

full face is the way to go.......
Oddly enough, they just did a little blurb about your moth problem on our news just a few minutes ago. And then I read your post. Weird, huh?

Don't you have toads there? They take care of that problem real quick. Relentless eating machines.

...empty gun rack.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

OK I'm going to give it a try. I'm buying a FF helmet, a $75 AFX, I'll see what I think. It's been a long time since I had one, maybe I'll like it more now.

Besides I plan on riding all winter, it'll keep my ears from freezing off...

...empty gun rack.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
alfonso2501
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to alfonso2501

I’d suggest you try on a few @ your local shop first before buying one. If you buy something that doesn’t feel comfortable on you, you’ll be less likely to wear it.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker
Oddly enough, they just did a little blurb about your moth problem on our news just a few minutes ago. And then I read your post. Weird, huh?

Don't you have toads there? They take care of that problem real quick. Relentless eating machines.

funny you should recommned the toads. they thought that would be a solution in queensland to a bug problem in the sugar cane fields. now they have a toad problem. can't drive down the road in summer without hitting a couple and anyone with a pool always has a toad problem
Old 10-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
funny you should recommned the toads. they thought that would be a solution in queensland to a bug problem in the sugar cane fields. now they have a toad problem. can't drive down the road in summer without hitting a couple and anyone with a pool always has a toad problem
When it flooded real bad here in '93, the wife and I were driving out to take a look at the flood. We came to a place on the road where it looked like an endless rippling grey/brown blanket was being pulled across the road...all toads, trying to escape the high water...

...empty gun rack.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
Steel
AF Fanatic

Toads make for slippery roads..... Road Toad = shiny side NOT up!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #15
es_class
AF Regular

Hey mr. coslacker.. I have a zox tavani...(I believe)...black rubbatone...flat just like the iicon. Almost identical. This helmet is really nice and I always get compliments from everyone..guys and girls alike. Cost 100 bucks...dot and snell approved..if ur into snell..and I got my size and fits nice. See if u can find on ebay..which is where I got it from and take a look at it. Would have sent u a link but I'm on my sidek!ck so its gonna take a minute to get around to it. If I find one tonite on my kick I will post. I can't believe u don't ride w/a fullface. Man...that rock musta hurt. Did u get messed up bad? It hurts just thinkin about it.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
es_class is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes