Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
deth_monkey69
AF Newbie

Are air ride suspensions reliable? Or a deal breaker?

I'm in the market for a new car, and am looking at either a crown vic, grand marquis, or town car. I had a Deville, but after paying every 6 months for repair after repair I sold it and am looking for something just as spacious, but without breaking all the time. I've seen a lot of Panthers I like, but a few have had air ride suspension, which scares the life out of me. I did some research, and I saw most people replace theirs with regular suspension because of it breaking. As of now if I see a car with an air ride I immediately cross it off, because the reason I went away from a caddy was to avoid luxury style stuff that breaks all the time and costs me and arm and a leg to fix. However, I did really like the ride of the town car I drove that had it. So my question is, are air ride suspensions that prone to breaking? Or am I just over cautious because of my crappy northstar engine? Also off topic is there anything else I need to know or look for when searching for a panther? Is there a year to avoid, or any specific thing I need to look for? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to cars, so assume I know nothing about anything automotive haha. I also posted this in the grand marquis section, but I figured here it would get more views.
deth_monkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Are air ride suspensions reliable? Or a deal breaker?

I had a '93 Crown Vic with air suspension, it worked just fine - scared me the first couple times I was pumping gas, but did keep the rear end height consistent no matter what was in the trunk. I can't speak for the current models, but I never had one issue with that system (or the vehicle) from 99 to 00 when I got Tboned and it was totalled.

Good purchase any way you look at it.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A