Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Pyrophor2011
AF Newbie

What car should I buy?

Short version:

I want a new/slightly used (under 1000 miles) car. I know virtually nothing about cars but have compiled a list below of what I think works for me. All I am looking for are suggestions/input on what car I should get in a $25k - $33k range based on performance/luxury/build quality (3 way tie) and gas mileage. For the most part, the vehicles in my list below are around $33k fully loaded.

Thanks

Long version:

Basically, this is my first time buying a new car and only my second time buying a car in general. Currently I have a 99 Mitsubishi Mirage that is only around 90hp. It's old, worn, burning oil fast and has an annoying ticking that mechanics can't seem to figure out but I have noticed on every 99 Mirage I have ever seen. Besides that, I've also never felt safe in the car, it feels like I am driving tin foil.

Anyways, I am in the market for a new car, possibly used with extremely low mileage, and have put together a list. Keep in mind, I know virtually nothing about cars. If you tell me a part, I might have a rough idea what is being talked about but not how it works. It wasn't until this afternoon looking up horsepower that I realized (common sense I guess) that hp divided by car weight is a decent way to calculate 0-60 time.

Overall, what I am looking for is something with an edgy look, good power, tons of features and at a decent price.

My list:

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Subaru Legacy
Dodge Charger
Toyota Camery
Ford Taurus
Chevy Camaro
Honda Accord
Buick Regal
Kia Optima
Nissan Altima
Volvo C30 (think about dropping this one)

Going through each website, I have configured each of these in similar ways and with the options all pretty much fall between $30-33k. Of course, as anyone would say, I would like to keep towards the cheaper end if possible.

Any opinions on my above list? Any alternatives to add?

One mistake I believe I made when putting that list together was thinking that hp was a direct indication of overall performance. Thinking that more horsepower equals a better car seems to be wrong. Based on that line of thinking, I assumed that the Charger beat out everything else because it had higher horsepower. It very well may be the best performance but looking at it's overall weight, it is also one of the heaviest cars on my list.

I am going to start test driving each of those vehicles soon but any input that can be given would be appreciated. I want to take my time and make an educated decision before buying anything.

Edit:
Quote:
I am in Tallahassee Florida, so no snow. I take my fiance to work every morning since we only have the one vehicle but she is on the way to my work. I am not sure if I am going to trade this car in or not, I probably wouldn't even get $1k for trade-in. Even if we keep our old car, we would still commute to work, no point doubling gas.

At work, we have a lot and I am planning to park in the back to avoid damage. We have a garage at our home that our current car fits in but our new one might not. I will evaluate that situation later and move stuff around.

I do not take clients out or anything like that.

I do not plan on having kids anytime soon.

I do care somewhat about gas mileage. It's almost a tie between performance, with performance coming ahead by a margin.

Atm, I drive about 180 miles in 7 days. Fill-ups are costing me about $30 each week. Of course, I would like to keep my mileage similar to that or filling up once ever two weeks. I don't expect great mileage from a performance car but know my current vehicle probably doesn't get great mileage anymore itself.

As for the C30, it's more on the unique side for me, as you stated, and not on what I consider the edgy side. Overall, my top three cars based solely on body style and from my list above would be the Genesis, Camaro and Regal. The Regal reminds me of an Infinity for some reason.

My top body style would be the Camaro would a close second to the Genesis.

Last edited by Pyrophor2011; 05-17-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Pyrophor2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
AutomediaJoe
AF Newbie

Re: What car should I buy?

there are a ton of cars that could fit in that price range perhaps you could give us more info about where you are and what you do so we can narrow the choices a bit. Do you care about gas mileage? or what range of mpg would you feel comfortable paying for if gas prices are $5 a gallon? do you have to deal with snow? do you carry passengers or a lot of stuff with you on semi regular basis. whats your parking situation? do you have kids/ will you in the next year? Do you have to take clients out to dinner in your car?
given more time i could think of more, but by giving us the answer to these simple questions you can help us and yourself eliminate a lot of cars from your list.

O and the C30 is an amazing car. If you want a cool unique car you cant not check that out.
AutomediaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Pyrophor2011
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomediaJoe View Post
there are a ton of cars that could fit in that price range perhaps you could give us more info about where you are and what you do so we can narrow the choices a bit. Do you care about gas mileage? or what range of mpg would you feel comfortable paying for if gas prices are $5 a gallon? do you have to deal with snow? do you carry passengers or a lot of stuff with you on semi regular basis. whats your parking situation? do you have kids/ will you in the next year? Do you have to take clients out to dinner in your car?
given more time i could think of more, but by giving us the answer to these simple questions you can help us and yourself eliminate a lot of cars from your list.

O and the C30 is an amazing car. If you want a cool unique car you cant not check that out.
I am in Tallahassee Florida, so no snow. I take my fiance to work every morning since we only have the one vehicle but she is on the way to my work. I am not sure if I am going to trade this car in or not, I probably wouldn't even get $1k for trade-in. Even if we keep our old car, we would still commute to work, no point doubling gas.

At work, we have a lot and I am planning to park in the back to avoid damage. We have a garage at our home that our current car fits in but our new one might not. I will evaluate that situation later and move stuff around.

I do not take clients out or anything like that.

I do not plan on having kids anytime soon.

I do care somewhat about gas mileage. It's almost a tie between performance, with performance coming ahead by a margin.

Atm, I drive about 180 miles in 7 days. Fill-ups are costing me about $30 each week. Of course, I would like to keep my mileage similar to that or filling up once ever two weeks. I don't expect great mileage from a performance car but know my current vehicle probably doesn't get great mileage anymore itself.

As for the C30, it's more on the unique side for me, as you stated, and not on what I consider the edgy side. Overall, my top three cars based solely on body style and from my list above would be the Genesis, Camaro and Regal. The Regal reminds me of an Infinity for some reason.

My top body style would be the Camaro would a close second to the Genesis.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Hungrycat7
AF Enthusiast

Nissan Altima! My mother purchased a 99 Altima which, at first, disappointed me. Every time I drove the car I fell more in love! My younger sis totalled the vehicle and I bought it back from the insurance company! New front end and it was good as new. The 99 now has 230,000 miles with extremely limited problems. Last year I purchased a '04 Altima and I love it even more. Dependable, responsive, and easy on the eyes! I still can not bring my self to get rid of the 99 as I am now using it as a winter car
Hungrycat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
ryan3291
AF Newbie

I'd go with an altima too. In your price range and they come in coupe and sedan, so your choice. I think the coupe looks amazing especially coming from a regular Japanese brand, my only other choice would be the accord coupe v6 of course... Actually v6 for the altima too, they have plenty of power, and if you don't want kids anytime soon then a coupe would work perfectly. I wouldn't get the camry cuz I think they look really bland, especially on the inside...
ryan3291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Pyrophor2011
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3291 View Post
I'd go with an altima too. In your price range and they come in coupe and sedan, so your choice. I think the coupe looks amazing especially coming from a regular Japanese brand, my only other choice would be the accord coupe v6 of course... Actually v6 for the altima too, they have plenty of power, and if you don't want kids anytime soon then a coupe would work perfectly. I wouldn't get the camry cuz I think they look really bland, especially on the inside...
Which one of the cars listed has the best performance? In my price range, it looks to be the Charger. I cant afford the 400+ 2SS Camaro.

Ok on the Altima.

Any opinions on the Ford Taurus? I am not done reviewing my options but it seems like the Ford Taurus has the most features out of all the cars and with dealer rebates actually comes out around the cheapest or close to it.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
Jamesfranklin
Banned

Any car which is present in the list can be appropriate for you if you have money to purchase I of your own but try to investigate properly about new cars and the company it belongs. As the prior investigation will safeguard you from the risk and defect encounter in the car after its purchase
Jamesfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote