Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
nick12
AF Newbie

Looking For Small Diesel Van Used

Hello, this is my first post!

I live in the Boston area and I'm looking to buy a small diesel van, used, and I hope to spend around $6k or less. I like the size of the Chevy Astro Van, but I'd prefer a diesel for its milage and possibly an eventual mod to burn veggie oil. Primary usage would be long road trips while climbing with one or two passengers.

My top three criteria would be:
-Can fit a small mattress in back while seating 2-3
-Good fuel mileage and reliability
-Not too large

I really appreciate anybody taking the time to suggest a model that I might want to look into. Thank You!

Nick
nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: Looking For Small Diesel Van Used

Hey, Nick! Welcome to AF!

I'm afraid my area of expertise isn't in full size vans, but here's hoping this little "bump" will help direct some attention over this way.

Good luck!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

You have virtually no choices for a used diesel small van in the US. Such vans are popular overseas where diesel is cheaper than gas due to tax differences. In the US, no such tax difference exists, so small diesels have not caught on, although interest is picking up a bit.

Volkswagen sold a few diesel Vanagons many years ago, which would fit the bill. But parts and service would be expensive, and these vans are lethal in collisions, because there is almost no crush space to protect you in frontal crashes. Also there are no airbags, and they all will likely be old/high mileage/worn out etc.

You might be able to find a Dodge Sprinter in your price range. These are a Mercedes import and are quite good. They can in several body styles, so some might be the right size, and some may be too long or have too-high a roof for your purposes.

But expect any used Sprinter to be a cargo version, with just 2 seats and a bare metal cargo area. You could go to a custom van or RV conversion place and add extra seats, carpeting inside etc, to suit your needs.

Ford and GM have sold diesel vans for many years, but these are all full-size industrial-strength models, and are probably too large and cumbersome for your purposes.

Be aware that a diesel van sells used at a premium compared with a gasoline version. Consider just buying a front wheel drive minivan. They are cheap to buy used, with many, many choices available. The dollars you save in purchase price and convenience in finding a good one will pay for a lot of extra gasoline.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Jamesfranklin
Banned

I don’t have any experience regarding diesel cars or vans/So I can’t help you in the manner you want but I want that you have taken right decision of buying the perfect vehicle.
Jamesfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote