Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #16
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Re: Brake Light On 2003 LX 3.8L Despite Replacing Recalled Speed Deactivation Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj76 View Post
The switch is usually found on the parking brake handle under the rubber boot. The RED light is meant to tell you that you have a serious problem (non-functional ABS is not considered as serious) with the braking system. Again, low brake fluid and parking brake left on are the only two causes that I am aware of.
I'll have someone check it out if I can't get to it first.

There are no brake fluid leaks, system has been flushed, all brake hydraulic cylinders replaced, brake fluid level is holding. Braking has always been great since the system was serviced.
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Question Re: Brake Light On 2003 LX 3.8L Despite Replacing Recalled Speed Deactivation Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacat View Post
A bad ABS module WILL turn on the red light. The yellow ABS light may be on as well but the bulb burned out. Trust me, I've repaired mine twice and both times the red BRAKE light was on.

Before doing anything, SCAN for ABS codes. If you see a whole bunch of them (starting with a "C" like C1155, C1158, C1123, etc.) that's the classic bad ABS module. You can just remove it and send it off to a rebuilder who will resolder the board for you for $50 and send it back. But again, I strongly urge you to plug in a scanner that can pull ABS codes. It's a well documented problem that the ABS ECU in these vans (along with many other makes and models) have the problem with cold solder joints making them stop working eventually. I'll bet you a Chicago stuffed pizza it's your ABS module; you just need to drive up here in your Windstar to collect! (But first fix your ABS )
LOL - I wish I could get to Chicago just to repay the bet.... I love Chicago stuff pizza. lol

Ok, now that I'm sure the ABS could cause the "BRAKE" instrument panel light to come on, I'll check for brake codes. So far we've only checked the CEL for codes.

I have a obdii/can elm scanner interface device with usb for the PC. I'd really like to get some affordable software that can get that device to read the brake codes too. Any advise on such software??? Or maybe is it that my elm scanner usb interface can't read more the CEL stuff and I need something else???

Thanks for recommending a rebuilder I can trust. I think the rebuild would be more reliable than getting a FORD replacement unless the FORD replacement is "revised" - anyone know if FORD did that???

I've also replaced the ABS module one time in my 1995 Windstar with a junk yard unit and it has been working fine ever since, so I guess this was a problem since the 1st year they were made (95) right?
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #18
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Brake Light On 2003 LX 3.8L Despite Replacing Recalled Speed Deactivation Switch

I don't know much about different software and stuff. I know that with my scanner, had I bought a cheaper model, I could then have purchased the ABS upgrade on the innova web site and enabled it via the USB connection. Anything that reads the "C" codes would be what you need. Most cheaper scanners just read powertrain "P" codes.

I'd imagine most rebuilders are decent. Anyone who can carefully cut open the top, reflow solder joints, and glue it back together should be fine. A competent electrician should be able to repair it in a way that it's more durable than the factory solder job. And, they guarantee it for life. That shop does quite a bit of business. I've been to the place before and I'm pretty confident that they'll be around at least as long as I own the van. Plus, $50 is a lot less than whatever obscene amount a new part would cost. If it dies in 3 years, I'll feel like I got my money's worth.

The first time this happened I resoldered it myself, but my soldering and cutting skills are at best moderately poor so it only bought me about 3.5 years before it started acting up again. This time I ordered the replacement online thru the ebay store for $104 ($89 + $15 core return shipping label), received the new unit, and sent back my old one for a $50 core refund. MUCH easier. Ironically, this time the front left sensor was also bad, but I couldn't tell that until I got the ECU working since ALL the failure codes were set previously, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcherrr View Post

I've also replaced the ABS module one time in my 1995 Windstar with a junk yard unit and it has been working fine ever since, so I guess this was a problem since the 1st year they were made (95) right?
The modules are made by Kelsey-Hayes. LOTS of makes and models have this problem, so we shouldn't feel too special. The mechanic that bled the HCU for me told me that he sends them off for rebuild all the time, mostly for Fords, GMs and BMWs interestingly enough.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brake , control , cruise , fluid , light
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar