Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Excessive Oil Consumption

I have a 2001 S-10 4.3L 4x4 4-Door with 83,000 original miles. For the past 8 months or so, I have noticed excessive oil consumption. I believe I read some where that 1 quart of oil every 3 months or so is "Normal" for these engines. But I'm adding 1 quart per month. It is not leaking, nor do I see any clouds of bluish-white smoke.

I use Castroil 5W-30 in this truck. I suspect the usual things like Valve guide seals.

I added some stuff called Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but then did a search on this forum to find out that this stuff has caused engine failures, but the one oil change that I did use it, it did seem to cut down on the consumption. But I am a little leary about continuing to use it because of the bad reviews.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Would synthetic be better? I know going to a little thicker oil (Maybe 10W-40) would probably help, but I'd like a little guidance.

Throw me a rope here, you guys are the best.

Thanks - Rick
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Excessive Oil Consumption

How many miles would one month encompass for you? And as for the Lucas; there once was a time when the auto parts stores couldn't keep it on the shelf. As of recent though, there have been several independent laboratory studies and the results have not been the greatest. As for me... Mobil One full synthetic and a Purolator Pure One filter every 4,000 miles. With 140,000 miles on a 98 Blazer, I drain out 4.5 quarts at every oil change. I'm happy with those results... why change?
old_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master
How many miles would one month encompass for you? And as for the Lucas; there once was a time when the auto parts stores couldn't keep it on the shelf. As of recent though, there have been several independent laboratory studies and the results have not been the greatest. As for me... Mobil One full synthetic and a Purolator Pure One filter every 4,000 miles. With 140,000 miles on a 98 Blazer, I drain out 4.5 quarts at every oil change. I'm happy with those results... why change?
As a rough Guesstimate, 1 month is approx. 1000 miles. This is actually my Daughter's truck so I'll try to get a better idea on the milage.

I read on this Forum that you should not use Synthetic oil if you have a leak, but I wasn't sure if the engine is burning it. You said you use Mobil 1, would you suggest I use the 5W-30 or the 10W-30? Does it come in 10W-40? I use the Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2000 Jimmy 4.3L, and I like it. I do not have a problem in the Jimmy, as I also drain 4.5 quarts at oil change.

I guess my big question is would be, would synthetic oil be better in an excessive oil consuption issue?

I am too afraid to use the Lucas additive. There are too many bad posts on this Forum about burning up engines. There is a good link somewhere in one of those posts that shows how the stuff works. But as you said, in the end, it appeared to be a Fad that was disproven.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
muddog321
AF -Advisor

Use the high mileage 5w-30 that has the additives to keep the oil seals working better and the 5w for startup lube as GM states. My daughters 98 has 155k now and uses/burns about a qt every 2000 miles - good would be 1 qt per 3000 on older motors. After I replaced the oil cooler line leaks are mostly gone - only a few minor drips. If you go syn you will run low before changes and its a chore to get them to check it!
muddog321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Cloud Strife
AF Regular

This may be a time to try AutoRX. Do a search on the item here and view the testimonials. I myself got a leak stopped after using the stuff as well as other things.

It is just a thought because it may fix your burning oil problems.
K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake
Flo-pro Soundpro exhaust
Optima Redtop
132k miles and still rolling....
Cloud Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Not quite sure about ANY oil additives. I am not saying they work or they don't. I'd simply like some information.

I do know there are many different brands out there, some are good I'm sure, and some aren't.

I've seen the testimonials about AutoRX, but as you said, I don't know what it would or wouldn't do for an oil consumption problem.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood
I have a 2001 S-10 4.3L 4x4 4-Door with 83,000 original miles. For the past 8 months or so, I have noticed excessive oil consumption. I believe I read some where that 1 quart of oil every 3 months or so is "Normal" for these engines. But I'm adding 1 quart per month. It is not leaking, nor do I see any clouds of bluish-white smoke.

I use Castroil 5W-30 in this truck. I suspect the usual things like Valve guide seals.

I added some stuff called Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but then did a search on this forum to find out that this stuff has caused engine failures, but the one oil change that I did use it, it did seem to cut down on the consumption. But I am a little leary about continuing to use it because of the bad reviews.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Would synthetic be better? I know going to a little thicker oil (Maybe 10W-40) would probably help, but I'd like a little guidance.

Throw me a rope here, you guys are the best.

Thanks - Rick
1.) Replace your PCV valve.

2.) Search for PCV catchcan in this forum. I wrote an article on it. Works awesome.

3.) Add only 5.0quarts when you change the filter and the oil, DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP OF THE DIPSTICK AND GO OVER 5.0 QUARTS. The engine might be just trying to get the excessive oil out of the system.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
tylernt
AF Newbie

Quote:
I guess my big question is would be, would synthetic oil be better in an excessive oil consuption issue?
I know nothing about these engines but I do know that my VW Fox burned a quart a month of dino 10W30. Switched to 5W40 synthetic and now I burn maybe half a quart between oil changes. Big difference, though how much of that is viscosity and how much is synthetic, I don't know. Far safer than snake oil additives, though!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
1.) Replace your PCV valve.

2.) Search for PCV catchcan in this forum. I wrote an article on it. Works awesome.

3.) Add only 5.0quarts when you change the filter and the oil, DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP OF THE DIPSTICK AND GO OVER 5.0 QUARTS. The engine might be just trying to get the excessive oil out of the system.
BLT, Thanks for the reply. I did replace the PCV Strangely enough around the time I started noticing this problem. I found your thread on the catch can, and read the whole thing, (not a bad read either! Pretty darn ingenious too.) I never add more than 5.0 quarts at oil change.

One of the things that I don't quite understand (from your thread) is why the Catch-can collects so much at first then slows down or stops collecting gunk.

If I may taylor this to my own specific need, My problem (consuming approx. 1 qt to 1 1/2 qts. every 1000 miles) is trying to keep the oil in the crankcase. This is my daughter's Truck, and I get to do the Maintenance. Wouldn't one of those PCV valves with the smaller hole tend to keep the oil in the crankcase? Any info on those PCV valves? Do they adversely affect anything? I can appreciate the Catch-can keeping the oil from burning in the engine, but I'm trying to keep it in the engine, meaning if it is getting past the PCV valve, it is too late.

I've got a hard time believing that I'm loosing that much oil through the PCV valve. As I stated earlier in this thread, the driveway is clean (no leaks) and no bluish/white clouds. I realize, or at least I think that I might have some beginnings of a major issue with this engine and that I'm just buying time.

Your thoughts?

Thanks - Rick
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #10
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Hmmm.....

Thats more than average oil being consumed.

No blue smoke rules out the valve seals.

What oil filter do you use?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Hmmm.....

Thats more than average oil being consumed.

No blue smoke rules out the valve seals.

What oil filter do you use?
I use the A/C-Delco PF52 filter without exception every time.

Also, just to clarify a point. I need to get out there at night with a bright flash light and look for Bluish white smoke . But I don't want to be misleading and say there is none, what I am trying to say is, for as much oil that I seem to be loosing, I should be driving in a freeking bluish/white cloud visible from a 1/2 mile away at high noon. But this is not the case.

I had another thought (last night while this thing kept me awake). This I will have to check this evening when I get home from work (and try to corral the kid for 20 minutes) is there any difference between the PCV valve on the driver's side valve cover and the Intake valve that is on the passenger's side valve cover? There simply has to be. The PCV valve is a pressure relief valve, right? When I changed the PCV valve approx. 6-7 months ago, I noticed the 2 parts do look alike. If a PCV valve were installed where the intake valve is supposed to be, wouldn't there be a drastic reduction of fresh air causing the PCV valve to suck out only the blow by air etc. and possibly more than average oil too? I think I'm thinking right, right? It at least bears a look.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernt
I know nothing about these engines but I do know that my VW Fox burned a quart a month of dino 10W30. Switched to 5W40 synthetic and now I burn maybe half a quart between oil changes. Big difference, though how much of that is viscosity and how much is synthetic, I don't know. Far safer than snake oil additives, though!
Not a real big fan of snake oil either. I was thinking along the lines of a thicker oil at first and may go that route. I haven't seen any 5W-40 in the stores but haven't looked for it either. I will look next time I go.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood
Not a real big fan of snake oil either. I was thinking along the lines of a thicker oil at first and may go that route. I haven't seen any 5W-40 in the stores but haven't looked for it either. I will look next time I go.
Not everything is snake oil so make sure you take a look around before you believe something doesn't work.

There is only one PCV valve and that is in the driver's side valve cover.

The other side should not have a pcv valve in it and if it does, it is not supposed to be there.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Not everything is snake oil so make sure you take a look around before you believe something doesn't work.

There is only one PCV valve and that is in the driver's side valve cover.

The other side should not have a pcv valve in it and if it does, it is not supposed to be there.
Point taken. I was told to look for a product call Seal Swell. Ever hear of it?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

don't start listening to people that don't have a friggin clue about oils and their additives.

This is not something that will be solved with unknown products.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis