Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
jtg1969
AF Newbie

'99 Legacy Outback- Speedometer Intermittent

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback w/60k miles. The speedometer stops working periodically along with the odometer. My 1990 Honda Accord did the same thing and I replaced a speed sensor on it to fix it. I dont know if the same thing is wrong with my Subaru.

I looked to see if I could find a part on the Subaru that looked like the one I replaced on the Honda but no luck.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much,

Jason
jtg1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Neil McLeod
AF Newbie

Re: '99 Legacy Outback- Speedometer Intermittent

I have the same problem with my 99 Outback. I am told it may be in the wiring harness that attaches to the transmission. A pricey item to replace on the hope that it is the problem, that's why I haven't done it yet. I am also told it is unique to the 99's.
Neil McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
beastar inc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to beastar inc
the sensor is located on the front right side of the transmission. there is a 2-wire plug going into it. You will need a 10mm wrench to remove the clip that holds it in place, and to install the new one just drop it into place.
This happened to my legacy at ~62,000 also.
beastar inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
linds01
AF Newbie

Same problem

I am having the same intermittent speedometer problem in my 99 Legacy Outback. The dealer cannot find the problem. Any more information about whether its the sensor or a wiring harness or some other failure?
linds01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #5
Underway32
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: '99 Legacy Outback- Speedometer Intermittent

You will find many fixes offered on the web from jamming screws or tooth picks into the blue connector to re-soldering the speedo ckt brd. I tried replacing the foil from the only pin used in the blue connector with a small gauge wire between the connector solder point to the next solder junction; did not fix. Next step was checking the ckt brd for bad components or open foil runs with multimeter; son decided he needed car and installed speedo. Speedo worked for the next 25K. Figured probe must have pressed into a bad solder joint to complete the electrical path. It quit ten days ago - we pulled it out and found the screw mounts (which are used for the electrical ground) had broken solder joints. You can see a hairline crack in the solder joint (use a magnifier). Re-soldered those broken joints and has been working for over a week. Just don't over tighten those mounting screws.
Underway32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
MechEng100
AF Newbie

Re: '99 Legacy Outback- Speedometer Intermittent

My 99 legacy wagon Outback has the intermittent issue. It's so typical and chronic, yet stunning that such a safety-related device has not been recalled. But there are fewer of our cars on the road. Dealers want about $500 to address this "famous" issue, among Subaru dealers. There are a number of posts and videos that do provide some troubleshooting tips. If you're handy and patient, it seems to be fixable. If you're lucky, maybe you won't have to pull the instrument cluster. Wish I could add more, sorry!
MechEng100 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja