Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Stupid "Low Light"

1999 Olds Intrigue, 3.8 eng.Last month, I replaced the Oil Level sensor while changing the oil, which was causing an oil leak due to a broke seal. Three weeks later, the "Low Oil" light came on and stayed on shortly after starting the car. I checked the oil level and it was full. I went ahead and drove it to work. No engine operating errors during the drive. While continuing to drive the car (yes, driving it), I did notice that the light stays off after starting the engine at operating temps, but comes on while the engine is cool (Faulty sensor?) I asked an Autozone associate about a Oil Pressure gauge to test the engine but was told that they dont sell such a thing. Chiltons repair manual says to use a 3amp fuse jumper to test the Oil Level and Oil Pressure sensor. I have no idea what a fuse jumper is.
tacosoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Stupid "Low Light"

To test oil pressure, you remove the oil pressure sensor and attach an oil pressure gage(guy at Autozone does not know what he is talking about).....

Chiltons is half right....you use a fused jumper lead(all this is, is a jumper wire with a fuse holder in series) to test the oil level sensor......stick a 3amps fuse in the fuse holder, disconnect the harness to the oil level sender, and attach the fuse holder to the two wire harness.....your oil level light should now be off, whether the engine is cold or hot, it should be off....if it stays off, bad sensor......if it comes on, the wiring circuit is bad, or the cluster is bad(I think the wiring goes directly to the cluster)......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
tacosoldier (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
To test oil pressure, you remove the oil pressure sensor and attach an oil pressure gage(guy at Autozone does not know what he is talking about).....

Chiltons is half right....you use a fused jumper lead(all this is, is a jumper wire with a fuse holder in series) to test the oil level sensor......stick a 3amps fuse in the fuse holder, disconnect the harness to the oil level sender, and attach the fuse holder to the two wire harness.....your oil level light should now be off, whether the engine is cold or hot, it should be off....if it stays off, bad sensor......if it comes on, the wiring circuit is bad, or the cluster is bad(I think the wiring goes directly to the cluster)......
Sensor passed the test, now I cant seem to find a part store that has it or can order it. Does anyone know the part number for the Oil Level sensor wire harness?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

GM part #12102747. About 35.00
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
GM part #12102747. About 35.00

Finally got it. Replaced the pigtail with new one. However, the "Low Oil" light still came on. I don't know where to go from here.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
i_hate_cars38
Lost In The Darkness

I say if you have done everything possible

just ignore it its a very important light and worth trying to have a shop diagnose

but if to broke for shop constantly check level 2 or 3 times a week

and maybe evan after your trips that's about all that seems to be left

fix it or check it constantly the temp gauge will kinda help olds in the summer
often ride towards the middle on temp more than that might want to check

the best one though is find a good shop or dealer and get ti fixed

The most difficult phase of life is not when no one understands you,
it is when you don't understand yourself.

«It's good to know that if I behave strangely enough, society will take full responsibility for me.»
i_hate_cars38 is offline   Reply With Quote