Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #16
bus45
AF Newbie

3.8L noise

i've received lots of help with my post and continue to check new threads as they come in .i'm still a little awkward about using this site but i must say it is an awesome resource and to all the helpful forum members a big thank you. for now i'm living with this engine noise . i live up in maine and we have had quite a winter and its not over. i also have no garage of my own so needless to say i'm holding out for a little better weather unless i decide to have the work done. i'm no pro mechanic but i do like to tinker, sometimes for fun but mostly out of necessity plus i'm a bit anal about doing something the right way and when you pay good money for somethig and get shoddy workmanship well that riles me a little.i'm sure you all have been there. when i finally get this noise problem corrected i'll be sure and post the how to's . bus45.
bus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #17
dankuester
AF Newbie

These are great posts. I have a 2000 Windstar with the same "knocking" sound just above normal idle engine speed coming from that clamshell (no Check Engine light yet).

Last weekend I replaced the isolator bolts with the newer green-sleeved ones and the 6 port seals and cleaned up everything just like that link mentioned earlier in the posts (those were awesome directions). I noticed that the upper plastic (clamshell) piece had that loose baffle piece but I made sure it was snapped in and then reassembled. Of course when I started engine it was making the knocking noise instantly. That loose baffle must be the problem. I stopped by local dealer and they want $155 for that upper clamshell piece. I didn't purchase because I wasn't sure if that would even make the noise disappear.

I'm not a pro so I don't know what you mean by RTV? Is that like a sealant or silicone or? Would there be a chance that if I tried something like sealant to eliminate vibration that it might come loose and get pulled into the engine? Do I even need that baffle?

Thanks in advance for any help
dankuester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #18
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: 2001 windstar

dank
I wonder if the new upper clamshell the dealer was offering you had an "engineering upgrade"? If so, it might be worth buying.

Is the baffle needed? Darn good question. Want to do an experiment for the good of the "team"?

Its been so long ago when I did my intake repair, I forget many of the details. But I remember putting some pretty healthy sized RTV daubs on the top and bottom of that baffle ... just to help stop vibrations. A bit of cured RTV going through the combustion chamber didn't seem like a huge risk to me. One day I'm going to open the intake up again just to take a look.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #19
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Funny thing.............I just did the Isolator bolt repair on the weekend and I noticed that the upper was in 2 pieces. I never knew that. In fact I separated the two pieces to clean them. If this is causing the vibration then one of the 2 clips that holds the 2 pieces together must be broken. I would suspect that there are plenty of locations to use some RTV. if one had to. I also wonder if an epoxy might also do the trick. Is the upper made of ABS? Maybe ABS cement too.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #20
broddog
AF Newbie

Ok. I have a question. If replacing the isolator bolts doesn't fix the problem of the knocking what is the purpose of replacing the isolator bolts then? I mean if it is the baffle that is making the noise, then why spend all the money of changing the isolator bolts and just put some RTV on the baffle and call it a day? I mean I am not getting the check engine light so how do I even know that the isolator bolts are even bad? I am just tring to find a good answer. I mean everyone says change the bolts and it will fix the problem when in reality it doesn't.... I just want the noise to stop, and if the check engine does come on well then I will cross that bridge when it comes....
broddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #21
dankuester
AF Newbie

Thanks again for all the ideas and experiences. I just purchased a tube of Permatex RTV and I am going to go that route. I haven't checked the part at Ford to see if it had an engineering upgrade. I am going to take the cheap route for now and if the RTV doesn't stop the knocking, then I will look into a new part to see if that will work.

As far as whether or not that baffle piece is even needed, I would like to try it for the benefit of the forum, but the more I thought about it, it must be there for some reason. Maybe just noise... but it is also shaped for air flow. I think I am going to leave it in and just try and stop it from vibrating/rattling. Thanks again and I will post my next attempt.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #22
wiswind
AF Moderator

Broddog,
You need to replace the isolator bolts to prevent / repair vaccum leaks. The new ones are supposed to be more resistant to breaking down from oil.

ALL,
The baffel noise......If you use an RTV sealant, etc.....make sure that it clearly states that it is SENSOR SAFE. There are a LOT of different RTV products out there......some are sensor safe, some are not.
The Oxygen sensors operate by a chemical reaction.......which generates a voltage.
Add another chemical to the mix......and you may be shopping for new oxygen sensors....

You could try visiting the website for the company that makes the product....Permatex has a good site... http://www.permatex.com/ and look for the appropriate product for your application.

To shop around for dealer parts on the internet......try www.parts.com
This will get you to listings of dealerships that sell on the internet.....and you might be able to save some money.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 AM   #23
dankuester
AF Newbie

I finally pulled my 2000 Windstar 3.8 L apart again this weekend and cleaned up the underside of the clamshell and the baffle with brake cleaner. I used Permatex sensor safe, high temp RTV and ran beads in the grooves where the edges of the baffle fit. It is quiet now! I will be traveling 1500 miles this weekend so that will be a good test (and quiet one). Even though the clips that hold the baffle in were latched, it was still loose. I guess vibration during the 86,000 miles caused this. It is tight now with the RTV.

I haven't seen part numbers posted here for the clamshell or baffle so I thought I'd get them while it was apart (even though I don't plan to order anything now):

This number was on the upper clamshell: XF 2E 9424CD
These numbers were on the baffle piece: PA6 GF35 or PAG GF35 and M738E

I don't know if anyone has use for these but I'd just like to contribute.
I also snapped some photos while it was apart (I am not a pro photographer):
http://dankuester.home.comcast.net/baffle.jpg
http://dankuester.home.comcast.net/baffle_removed.jpg
http://dankuester.home.comcast.net/both_pieces.jpg

Thanks again for all the ideas, experiences. I saved a lot of money with this forum.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #24
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

dank
Thanks for the photos and reinforcing the RTV theory. My "RTV repair" now has about 70k miles on it.. but unfortunately I do not have the upgraded isolator bolts, so someday I'm gonna have to "go back in".

Keep us posted.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #25
dennisk
AF Newbie

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar that is making a very loud noise coming from the motor on the passengers side. The van runs/drives and shifts great. Any suggestions is appreciated.
dennisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #26
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

Dennisk -

Welcome to the forum!

This is a 15 year old thread - so it might be best to start a new discussion.

And - of course - your van is now 25 years old, so we're going to need to know more than "a very loud noise" on the passenger side.

Some quick thoughts:

- Does the noise happen whenever the engine is running - or only when driving?
- Does the noise change when other things happen in the van (changing gears, applying brakes, etc.)?
- If you open the hood and listen carefully while near the engine, can you narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from?

I'm sure there are many other questions that will make sense when trying to track this down - but this will get us started.
phil-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #27
dennisk
AF Newbie

1996 Ford Windstar. Rattling at top of engine on passenger side. Does not affect the performance. No white smoke from exhaust. Doesn't matter if engine is hot or cold. Sounds like a rattling/vibration type noise.
dennisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #28
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

In 1996, Ford offered two engines for the Windstar in the US: The 3.0l V6 and the 3.8l V6. Which engine does your van have?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #29
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

One quick follow-up, presuming you have the 3.8l V6: The intake plenum "knocking" noise discussed earlier in this thread, caused by a loose baffle, is specific to the 1999 and later Windstar 3.8l V6 engines. Ford introduced the "clamshell" intake plenum design for model year 1999, which includes the potentially-rattling baffle. As I understand it, this design was *not* used in the 1996 3.8l V6 Windstars. Please confirm with your own research, but I don't believe the rattle you're hearing is related to the intake plenum problem discussed above.

I will note that I did the infamous isolator bolt fix many years ago on my '00 3.8l V6 Windstar, and my baffle looked fine, so I did not add RTV, as some did in this thread. The van is still in use at something like 205K miles; still running well.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #30
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

There lots of moving parts on the passenger side. You need to find the source of the noise. I like to isolate the source of a rattle by using either a long hose (one end on the ear, the other end moved around to find the source) or a sound absorbing shield (like a piece of drywall, acoustic ceiling tile, or even cardboard) Locating the source will help tremendously. My automotive stethoscope works really well if I remove the transducer from the hose. I can listen through the hose while I move the open hose end arroud.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar