Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
OnTheRoad
AF Newbie

Addco 932 rear sway bar for sale?

I have a 2002 Windstar SE purchased from father-in-law who realized he was too old to drive. My friends and I just returned from Bonneville Speed Week (if you like cars you should go before the salt disappears) and am upgrading brakes (StopTech front discs and Centric rear drums with ATE 200 fluid) and rear springs (Air Lift 1000). I want to add the Addco 932 1" rear sway bar but they've been discontinued. I've had no luck searching the web (Jeg's E-Bay shows 10 available but calling Jeg's showed that was an error). If you know of someone who has an Addco 932 sway bar they want to get rid of or is collecting dust on a back shelf or ... please let me know so I can give it a good home.

I've already replaced struts/shocks (KYB) and tires (Michelin Defenders) so handling is good there. I added a transmission cooler and replaced fluid (Valvoline MaxLife) because I know the transmission a weak spot (I've owned several Tauri). I'm looking at Water Wetter and a larger radiator to further reduce temperatures. With two friends and much luggage plus large cargo carrier the Windstar had difficulty holding 70mph at 8kft in NV mountains. The V6 is the fewest cylinder car I own (others are V8, V10 and V12) and I'm used to not holding up traffic.

This forum has been helpful. Thanks.
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Addco 932 rear sway bar for sale?

How would a rear sway bar help in conjunction with a solid axle?
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
OnTheRoad
AF Newbie

The rear sway bar would work pretty much the same as the rear sway bar on my 1989 Mustang live axle -- it controls roll center and roll rate.

Having said that I checked the service manual 204-02 rear suspension and discovered the 2002 Windstar doesn't have a rear sway bar. It's got a traction bar which is an accountant's Panhard rod for lateral axle location and trailing links for longitudinal axle location. Springs and shocks, especially the Windstar's, don't provide what I need for roll center and roll rate control (BTW a bigger roll bar isn't always better -- I went from a 1 5/8" front roll bar to 1" changing the Mustang from understeer to neutral).

I guess the Addco 932 is a bit more than a bolt-on replacement. I can deal with that.

On the Windstar I replaced the front struts and rear shocks with KYB GasAdjust. I'm unhappy with both compression and rebound rates. For my wife's 2003 Camry the KYBs were perfect but not for the Windstar. I'm adding rear air springs for both spring rate and load leveling purposes but I really need a solution for roll center and roll rate control. Maybe I should replace the KYBs with something that has higher compression and rebound rates. Any suggestions?
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:20 PM   #4
daddyblaize
AF Newbie

Has anyone bought one of these sway bars?
daddyblaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
wiswind
AF Moderator

I have never heard of them until seeing this post.
I'm not seeing the gain, but I could be way wrong.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar