Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
suburbanstevie
AF Newbie

Olds, '99, 3.5L Coolant leak, Intake?

Hello all,
There is a whole bunch of threads about coolant leaks associated with intake manifolds and/or head gaskets. And I have been learning much about them from reading these thrreads, so thanks to all. With the help of this forum I was able to change a leaking cross-over pipe, then offered my own extensive suggestions about that repair (possibly scarring others from doing it themselves).

My problem, I've got a slow leak (will it ever end?!). And the mechanic just told me I need to change the lower intake manifold gasket for about $1000, And he specifically said the car has two manifolds. So I went home and studied my shop manuals (full GM set bought on Ebay), my car is the '99, 3.5L (not the 3.8L) and doesn't seem to have a "Lower" intake manifold. I am pretty sure there is only one (1) manifold, a big black plastic molded part.

Also... when under the car I can see coolant dripping from the forward area of the engine (starter, and forward block surfaces). But also dripping from the cross-beam just in front of the engine (the one I use to jack-up the car with the floor jack). This causes me to initially think the radiator is leaking, but it is totally dry and definitely not leaking.

My questions...
1. How is coolant getting on the forward beam? has anyone seen this before?
2. Am I correct, that I only have One intake manifold, with one set of gaskets?
3. Does the intake manifold have coolant in it? If not, where does the coolant come from?

Thanks,
1998 Windstar, 3.0L
1984 Toyota Pick-Up, 22R
suburbanstevie is offline   Reply With Quote