Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
mailroutedriver
AF Newbie

98 crv howling in front

What I thought was the driver side wheel bearing evidently isn't the only problem. It had the classic symptoms: howling constant sound, turn wheel and it would disappear. So, I replaced the knuckle/spindle assembly with a spare (keep spare parts around for this car LOL), however it's still doing it.

Could the inner CV joint be making this noise? Like I said, turn the wheel to the right and it disappears. It is a constant sound that begins around 30 mph. I certainly hope it's not a transaxle bearing....if so I'll need to buy a another vehicle until the CRV can be fixed.

Does anyone know if the inner CV joint can sound similar to a wheel bearing? It's definitely on the driver side.
mailroutedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
R. Dixon
AF Newbie

Re: 98 crv howling in front

I had same problem under warranty on my 98 crv and the dealer told me it was the rear end fluid needed to be replaced. This was 20k miles before it was due. The noise did not sound like it was from the rear end and was more severe when I turned the steering wheel. The key was to make sure all the old fluid had been suctioned out before replaceing it. What a surprise to me, it cured the howl a few miles after the new fluid soaked in.
R. Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
vonage003
AF Newbie

Re: 98 crv howling in front

just a quick word : i have a 2006 cr-v 4wheel drive and it makes a howling/drowning kind of noise at various rms usally under light throttle and it was pinpointed to be a poorly engineered exhaust system that creates a vibration of such that can be thought to be things such as bearings or drive axles when it may very well be the same problems only some crv's have.
vonage003 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V