Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
g-drive
AF Newbie

Question Anyone have 1992 325i, I have a question?

I've been looking for an E36, ideally I'd like a 328... but the money's tight and we really just need another daily driver to lighten the load on a 95 jeep cherokee.

I came across a 92 325i, very nice, low miles and the price is right. Now I know it doesn't have VANOS, so I am currious how much that affects the mileage.

The car is an auto and I need to get in the 20s combined (24, hopefully).

Anyone own(ed) this car and can give me an idea what to expect?

Much appreciated.
g-drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
supervisor1886
Banned

Re: Anyone have 1992 325i, I have a question?

Whats vanos?
supervisor1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
kdzrok
AF Newbie

early e36's are junk for the most part. The break down often and the interior just doesn't hold up under normal wear and tear, and they have TONS of electrical problems. Are you SET on an e36? If you are looking at an older model BMW, check out a 91. e30's are awesome cars, they hold up well, and are easy to repair yourself. I have beat the heck out of my little girl and she just keeps on ticking.

Kristin

Last edited by kdzrok; 01-15-2006 at 07:21 PM.
kdzrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Dudesky_E36
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzrok
early e36's are junk for the most part. The break down often and the interior just doesn't hold up under normal wear and tear, and they have TONS of electrical problems. Are you SET on an e36? If you are looking at an older model BMW, check out a 91. e30's are awesome cars, they hold up well, and are easy to repair yourself. I have beat the heck out of my little girl and she just keeps on ticking.

Kristin
Excuse you, but my '92 325i is doing just fine with 145k miles. It has never left me stranded, and my interior is pristine, except for a couple of carpet stains. And the only electrical problem I've had recently is a dirty connection at the coolant level sender. I don't know where you got your info from, but any car will have problems if you don't take care of it. Earlier E36's are no different than newer ones as far as maintenance; they're just older and nowadays need more replacement parts than the more recent models, for obvious reasons.

Now, when you compare an E36 to an E30, I will agree- the E30's were a lot tougher. This is because E30 (and prior) engineers used complex math equations and heavy field testing to figure out required strength and durability, then they would double or triple the outcome, resulting in a fairly bulletproof car. Not so with the E36, which proved to be somewhat less reliable than the models before or after it, for two main reasons. The E36 is the very first BMW in history to be designed on CAD, and instead of extensive testing, they relied on the program to determine how robust a part or system should be. Secondly, they were engineered with recycling in mind. Which is a bit of an irony, since many owners can make these cars last upwards of 250-300 thousand miles.

As far as VANOS or non-VANOS, later engines equipped with it will give you a little better mileage, but the top half of the earlier non-VANOS engines are much beefier and more robust. It's a tradeoff, and you can go either way with this. I personally don't believe the mileage savings is significant enough. To give you an idea, I average about 17-18 city, and about 26-27 highway, but I haven't tuned this car in a while.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
1mikebowman
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to 1mikebowman Send a message via Yahoo to 1mikebowman

I have a 1992 318IS. Let me tell you...My car is falling apart. Everything but the motor, go figure. I have 165,000 miles on it now and it runs great!. But here are the problems I've had...Replaced suspension all around, replaced battery and alternator. Electrical stuff thats gone bad are:

1. Sunroof crapped out
2. Drivers side window doesn't roll down or up anymore
3. Wiper wash motor doesn't dispense
4. On Board computer, only clock works (7 button)
5. Passenger side seat is stuck in a lean back position
6. Airbag Sensor came on while I washed the car and won't turn back off
7. Exhaust leak
8. Door panels are falling off on both sides
9. Headliner is falling down
10. ATF leak in power steering pump

Other than that the car runs great. Thank God I have my 1995 M3 as my weekend driver which is in perfect condition with low miles. I refuse to get rid of the 318 because it has done me well. Yes it gets annoying with the stuff that doesn't work but for a daily driver of more than 50 miles a day, the car is perfect. I'm roughly getting about 30 MPG still. My M3 gets about 20-23 MPG if I'm lucky.
1mikebowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
supervisor1886
Banned

Dudesky! I love you man! You are the first person that didnt lie about fuel economy!You make me proud! I heard people here with carbed 5.7liter engines saying that they get 22 MPG city.He he.

So whats VANOS? Explain please.

I think that the condition of the engine is established not by the mileage, but by its internal clearences. If it doesnt have any severly damaged bearings (due to debry, overheating,oil problems, etc), burnt valves, worn out guides, scorn cylinders or some piston or ring damage, then its fine to work until its compresion goes down to 130psi or lower (on unmodified cars). At this point the cylinders are pretty much done and will start smoking any time soon. From my experience. I have seen whole bunch of problems like bad tickin lifters, rounded off cams, bad valve seats, etc. But as long as your piston to wall clearence is fine it will run no matter what. (unless theres a spun main bearing)
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervisor1886
Dudesky! I love you man! You are the first person that didnt lie about fuel economy!You make me proud! I heard people here with carbed 5.7liter engines saying that they get 22 MPG city.He he.

So whats VANOS? Explain please.

I think that the condition of the engine is established not by the mileage, but by its internal clearences. If it doesnt have any severly damaged bearings (due to debry, overheating,oil problems, etc), burnt valves, worn out guides, scorn cylinders or some piston or ring damage, then its fine to work until its compresion goes down to 130psi or lower (on unmodified cars). At this point the cylinders are pretty much done and will start smoking any time soon. From my experience. I have seen whole bunch of problems like bad tickin lifters, rounded off cams, bad valve seats, etc. But as long as your piston to wall clearence is fine it will run no matter what. (unless theres a spun main bearing)
Regarding VANOS link below:
http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/vanos.htm
daniel 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Dudesky_E36
AF Enthusiast

^^^Excellent link for the description

But the article forgot to mention what VANOS stands for: Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Supervisor- the only car I ever lied about mpg was my '94 Wrangler . . damn piece of s#%* used to get 12mpg
Old 01-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
supervisor1886
Banned

Oh I see now. That is defenatly something thats different. Those GM cars wont get it til 2012. Would not that be somewhat similar to Hondas' VTECH?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Dudesky_E36
AF Enthusiast

^^^Yes. The two are often compared to each other. Same principle.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD