Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
tgray1804
AF Newbie

99 Land Cruiser Starting Problem

The battery has been changed and I know the altenator is working fine. On occation, especially if it is rainy or humid when you turn the key you just hear the solenode click but no starter. If you try a few more times it might turn over and start, sometimes not.
Up until today if this occured I could attempt to jump it and it would work??
Today it is cold and raining and even when I try to and the extra juice it just clicks.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

TJ
tgray1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
jdeyarza
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Land Cruiser Starting Problem

i'm pretty sure your problem is the starter or starter connections. i'm having the exact same problem at the moment with my 98. unfortunately, the starter lies in a tough spot on the v8's and replacing it rquires 4 hrs labor. i think i'm about to get mine replaced (130, 000 miles) i was wondering if anyone knew how normal this procedure is considering my mileage. also, if its possible, considering where the starter is, just replacing the connections in the starter without having to do a ton of labor. thanks.
jdeyarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
esershop
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Land Cruiser Starting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgray1804
The battery has been changed and I know the altenator is working fine. On occation, especially if it is rainy or humid when you turn the key you just hear the solenode click but no starter. If you try a few more times it might turn over and start, sometimes not.
Up until today if this occured I could attempt to jump it and it would work??
Today it is cold and raining and even when I try to and the extra juice it just clicks.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

TJ
that's exactly what happened to my 99 mod. that could be the reason why the prvious owner sold the car; just a few days after i brought the car home from the seller/ broker, I experienced that same thing several times. too expensive to replace the starter. I have some knowleged about mechanic things...after looking very closely around the engine and found no visible starter, I bought a Haynes book.
It is on top of the engine under the manifold and bucnh of cables, wirings, etc. it took me 5 hours..the starter i got from the dealer costs $400+
esershop is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470