Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
EarningSilence
AF Newbie

Please Help - Friend almost murdered

My friend was riding his bike down a street and a car hit him and then fled the scene. After that another car ran him over but stayed and waited for the ambulance to come. Luckily he is alive and in intensive care. I went to the scene and began looking around and found tons of broken glass. Now as I recall they really dont make headlights out of glass now. I found once peace with "SAE" and maybe an "H" after that. Another peace was a corner peace that had the flat front part of the headlight but also had that lump/nipple looking coming out of it. The last and best peace I have is the number that's on the inside of the glass which reads 302-930376-01. I don't have any ways to find out what that number relates to. Please help me understand what type of car this goes to. It's not for personal revenge is simply finding my friend justice. Thankyou.
EarningSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Please Help - Friend almost murdered

It sounds like you've disturbed a crime scene. Why not provide the piece to the police and them to use their resources to track it down? Although they may not believe you since they did not get the piece from the scene to prove that it came from the scene.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

If it was a standard glass headlamp, then it is one of about 6 possibilities of headlamp that was used in about 10,000 vehicles back to 1930.

Sorry to disappoint, but headlights were universal until the last few decades, and even now some cars still use universal headlights.

Shorod... I also have to side with this guy on the police issue. This isn't CSI. Nobody is going to requisition $200,000 to bring forensics to the scene for someone who hasn't died. For that matter, someone hit my car and ran last year. I provided the police with a detailed description of the car, a plate number, as well as the brand and SIZE of the tires that were on the custom Dayton rims. It was a very distinctive car. They told me that they just didn't have the resources to investigate things like that.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
EarningSilence
AF Newbie

that's what I was told from the local police. I'm sure glad they get nice chunks of our taxes. Anywayz... I just got a call this morning saying it may have been a late 80's early 90's corrola. does that maybe sound correct with the squarish and glass headlights?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
ctwright
AF Enthusiast

You would be better off instead of looking for clues on the street to ask people around the area if they'd seen anything.
ctwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
EarningSilence
AF Newbie

Yea that was the first thing my friends g/f and I did. All they heard was the first screeching tires and then by the time they came out that was the time they saw the other car hit him again. Atleast the other person had the heart to stop.
When I searched the area after the police picked up all the pieces they saw. I picked up chunks of clear glass and, as i said before, the best piece i got was a chunk with a set of numbers on it.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
ctwright
AF Enthusiast

What was the speed limit where he got hit and ran over. That is hard to believe that one person hits him, and then another runs him over unless both people were flying or that he was riding his bike somewhere he shouldn't ride a bike.
ctwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

Did the driver of the second car see anything? I suppose not otherwise he/she probably wouldn't have hit your friend.

While any clue is better than nothing at all, one other concern with the piece of headlight that you picked up would be if you can be certain it came from this accident and not a previous incident. If it wasn't an intersection, it's probably not a real accident-prone area, but you don't want to wrongly accuse someone.

I guess I was hoping more places were like here, where a hit-and-run would at least get a photo and caption in the newspaper and the police do take the time to investigate accidents with injuries.

-Rod
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
EarningSilence
AF Newbie

As you said, the other driver never saw the other car. it's not exactly a high traffic area because It's near the outskirts of the beach and most places leading this way are all dead ends and retirement homes. The streets here are very clean which is another good reason why I suspect this being from another accident. The local news did post something about it but no one has called in and all the local homeowners near the scene can't give us any information. All I've got is this number from the piece of glass which i don't even know where to go to see what typeof car has the set of numbers on the headlight.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
shorod
SHO No Mo

I do wish you luck. I'm sorry that I'm not able to offer you a definite source for finding that information. You might stop by a body shop and see if they know of a way to cross reference the numbers on the lens.

A Corolla would have a somewhat wide, rectangular headlight as would a Nissan Sentra of that vintage. Did someone think they saw a Corolla, or was that comment just based off the shape of the lens? The Sentra might look similar to a Corolla of that vintage, but the Sentra's headlight would have been slightly wider. I'm not sure if either of them are glass.

-Rod
Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
docaudi
AF Newbie

Unless there they are called by a security company, the police arent even showing up to document break & enter scenes. If your friend has a few weeks recovery time without forcing him to remember right away there are psyc's that can pick details from his memory, but its important not to suggest things when he is trying to remember what happened. If your in a small town just stay quiet, keep your senses tuned when your at the clubs, people talk after a few drinks.
btw, what kind of car do you drive ?, ever see a movie called The Machinist ?
docaudi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical